Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior dogs

Old August 14th, 2016, 05:42 PM

Knowing when to let go...

My dog Echo turns 15 in September. Winter was really hard on her last year, and she is starting to wind down. I don't know if facing another winter is what is best for her. I love her so much and I don't want her to suffer. She keeps on giving me these long looks that make me feel like the end is near. Is she waiting for me to be ready? I will never be ready to lose her. How will I know when the wait for her to go on her own is taking to long? She has been such a wonderful, special friend to me. I am just feeling so sad right now.
Old August 14th, 2016, 07:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Have to talk to your vet about this , I think it would be best to talk the him/her and decide together what is best for your dog. This is a very difficult decision to have to made and I am sorry to hear you're going though this.
Old August 14th, 2016, 07:25 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I think a conversation is alos good with your vet but ultimateley you know your pet the best.

In my opinion only I would look not at age but quality of life. Is your pet eating, drinking, happy, able to move around, without pain or ailments.
There are so many scenarios.

If you feel winters are harder on your pet than I think you could walk less, find an area that they can do their business in (maybe you have to shovel something). Add a few more cuddles instead or do things indoors to stimulate your pup. Sometimes something as simple as adding a coat in the winter helps them out depending on the dog of course.

They say you can tell when its time and that your pet will let you know, sometimes I feel this can be overlooked but generally I think when you decide the time is right thats is all that matters.

I lost my previous dog to Cancer a very rapid one . I had him for 6 weeks from diagnosis and he let me know. I could see it in his eyes and his body. Having said that he was happy right up to the day before he passed...

How about a picture to share of your pet..

Best of luck
Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 27th, 2016, 11:28 PM

This is Echo almost a year ago. I know it's pretty old, but she is very camera shy and it is hard to get her to sit still or not look like we are about to beat her lol! She was 14 here, she will be 15 in just a few weeks.
Attached Images

Last edited by Silverwind; August 28th, 2016 at 10:50 PM.
Old August 28th, 2016, 04:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I am not able to see the picture of your pet.
Old August 28th, 2016, 10:51 PM

Sorry, I think I fixed it now!