Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Closed Thread

Old March 20th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Senior Contributor

mrthomas, No one said that Brew is not happy with his new family. What Luckypenny pointed out is where would Brew be HAPPIEST and I think all of us dog owners would agree, as LP said that dogs are very loyal to their owners and 6 years is a long time for a dog.

His new owners may be wonderful but whether or not Brew is happy there, I wouldn't doubt that he misses his family, especially Kelly's son. The bonds between dogs and children are incredible.

Last edited by meg4050; March 20th, 2008 at 02:24 PM.
Old March 20th, 2008, 02:27 PM

[QUOTE=meg4050;566248]mrthomas, No one said that Brew is not happy with his new family. [QUOTE]

THANK YOU FOR ACKNOWLEDGING THAT
Old March 20th, 2008, 02:30 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

MrThomas= was just wondering if you are aware that typing in all capitals is considered yelling in net speak. If you are aware of this why are you yelling. No one has raised their voice at you or been disrespectful to you. Yet you insist on typing in capitals which is rude and inconsiderate. Just because people aren't bowing down and saying oh your right doesn't give you the right to bully anyone here.

Kelly= just out of interest, are we even positive that the dog the pound is talking about is your brew?
Old March 20th, 2008, 02:34 PM

It Would Be Nice If Brew Did Get Back To His Family And All. I Just Hate Reading This Onesided Argument And I Think That There Are More People Involved. I Think Its Unfortunate All This Has Happened To Kelly. I Also Think That Its Hard For People To Think That There Is More Than Just Her Family. How Is It Anyones Fault They Adopted A Pet In Need And Now Someone Wants To Take It Away. I Adopted A Pet And I Would Be Destoyed If After I Had To Give It Away. Then How Would The Rest Of People Feel About Adopting If They Worried It Could Happen To Them. Hopefully Stuff Like This Doesnt Happen A Lot But I Think Carberry Town Screwed Up This One For Everyone.
Old March 20th, 2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
MrThomas= was just wondering if you are aware that typing in all capitals is considered yelling in net speak. If you are aware of this why are you yelling. No one has raised their voice at you or been disrespectful to you. Yet you insist on typing in capitals which is rude and inconsiderate. Just because people aren't bowing down and saying oh your right doesn't give you the right to bully anyone here.

Kelly= just out of interest, are we even positive that the dog the pound is talking about is your brew?

oh i didnt know it was yelling. sorry. thats a good question to.
Old March 20th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Doggie Wench

Oh mrthomas, I never meant to imply that Brew is not happy with the people who are so kind to have taken him into their home. They must be the most wonderful, kind people to have considered giving an animal at a pound a place in their hearts and in their home. My utmost respect to them and all the rescue workers involved.

And you're absolutely right mrthomas, too much judgement is being passed, on both sides. But this is not about choosing sides, is it? I would hope not. This is about putting anger and blame aside, and looking at the situation for what it really is. A family who misses their dog terribly, a dog who would benefit to be returned to his family of longstanding.

I just pray that everyone stands back for a moment, and just takes a moment to feel, then step forward once again, hopefully to join others in a peaceful and mutually respectful manner. I know this can conclude in such a way that there are no losers. This should not be a time of accusations and anger but one of celebration. I know in my heart, nothing would bring me more joy and satisfaction in knowing I could play a crucial role in reuniting a loved one with his family and in joining in that celebration.
Old March 20th, 2008, 02:43 PM
banned user

Yes Mrthomas, Carberry certainly did screw up and they are the only ones that Kelly has really blamed besides their own error.
I too adopted Sable and now Jack but I think that if someone came along with all the details of what really happened I would take it all into consideration and do what I felt would be best for the dog. I know with Jack our new dog, the owners who had to surrender Jack are very much a part of his life, we email them pictures, they visit and will take him for us if we need to be away. I am happy that Jack can still have them in his life.
Old March 20th, 2008, 02:44 PM

Well put, LP.
Old March 20th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly27 View Post
It was the townships responsibility to provide me as a new resident info with regards to their bylaws or where to find them...they saw it necessary to give me garbage pick up days and recycle days so why was it not equally as necessary to provide to me the AC regulations and contacts? Why is this so hard for you to grasp? I did take it upon myself to find out what happened but because it was so conveluded it took a while.
Kelly, I am also a military wife and brat, I have moved on average every four years of my life, I am now 46 years old and I have never once been contacted by any city or municipality to let me know where I can find their bylaws (not even for garbage pickup), it has always been my responsibility to find out what they were.

I know the military coddles their employees and does everything for them, but it is not like that in the real world. Are you not instructed to read the routine orders when you get posted to a new base to become familiar with the base, should the same not be for you to find out what the bylaws (especially the ones that may pertain to you and your family) are when you move to a new municipality?

What I would really like to know is what you are hoping to get from this forum? Your dog is not lost, it has a home so we can't help you look for your dog. We are not lawyers so we can't give legal advice.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 20th, 2008, 03:10 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly27 View Post
What would the SPCA do with such felines. Would they socialize them and try and adopt them out or simply send them to the pound so they can retain their no kill status? No accusations are being made here i'm simply asking so put away the ammo....lol
Not all no-kill shelters accept all animals inthe first place, no kill doesn't mean they accpet all animals. They refuse to intake some animals that are not adoptable, therefore they don't have to kill them. There are waiting lists for no kill shelters, and they work very closely with fosters and breed specific rescues to ensure all animals brought in to the no kill facility are in fact adoptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrthomas View Post
I Dont Know How Harsh This Is. No One Is Thinking About The People Who Saved The Dogs Life. If He Was Not Adopted He Would Be Dead. Now It Seems That Because Someone Saved The Dogs Life They Are Being Asked To Give The Dog Up. Is No One Else Seeing That The Attack Here Is On The New Home When The Dog Would Otherwise Be Dead?

Everyone Makes Mistakes But What Mistake Did The Rescuers Make?
I agree, the new family did nothing wrong with adopting this dog, I dont think anyone is blaming the new family for saving Brew's life - I didn't read that anywhere, that doesn't evenmake sense? However, that doesn't mean they should ignore the plea from Kelly's family, it would be simple for them to say..."Kelly, we've had Brew for 2 weeks now, my kids are very attached them them, we have him enroled in classes, (etc...) he's very happy with us, we will be keeping him"...at least aknowledge it, they don't HAVE to, but its appropriate. It would lay things to rest, Kelly would know why the new family loves him so much.

I would be heart broken and would do anything to get my dog back, simple as that, but thats just me, I would try anything and everything in my power...but if I recieved a response form his new home reassuring me he's happy and safe, maybe see with my own eyes him with his new kids...it would be easier to let things rest...

Again, the new family didn't do anything wrong, they are not legally bound to be sympathetic but they must know how Kelly and family is feeling?

If put in a place to choose, I'd bet the dog would go back to his pack...

Good post LP! Save your breath Cindy, not worth your typing time.

Someone asked about tatooing? They don't usually use tats without a chip these days, (shelters and vets anyways, not sure about breeders) tats are only trackable by binder, there isn't an information system that collects ever vets tat numbers...you can have duplicate numbers in different towns, and when someone calls the vet to track a number, they have to sort thru a binder, they are usless unless they are accompanied by tags or a chip. And yes, chips move around the body all the time...especially in large active dogs.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old March 20th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Well said, Fordgirl.

We can't be sure that the dog will be better off with Kelly not sure, we don't know the new owners. Maybe the new family will ensure the dog is safe and not allowed to roam free, free to get hit by a car, to freeze to death, to get chased by coyotes, etc., etc. History speaks for itself, and this is not the first time this dog has roamed and went missing and she still did not prevent it from happening again.

I do agree that this poor boy must be hurting so bad, my heart goes out to him, some life lessons are extremely hard:sad:. I also think that Brew would be happier with his pack, but is he really better off? It is our responsibility to ensure our pets are kept safe.

I also agree that the new owners should be contacted by AC and allow the new owners to make the decision to meet with Kelly. I don't agree with legal action, that is not fair to the pound (unless they did something illegal) or to the new owners.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 20th, 2008, 03:43 PM

Does kelly want to just know he is okay? i got the impression she wants to take him back and no wonder the new people woundt contact her if he/she thinks they could be sued or loose the dog. Also kelly did you call all the area rescues? the people at the spca and furry friends can be really helpful. what do you want out of this. the dog back? know hes okay? contact with brews family? updates through the pound guy? maybe he could get you them?
Old March 20th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG,I don't really know how this got so out of hand,to me there is only one issue and that is that Brew comes back home.
No badmouthing anyone,it's a dilemma,one that needs to be cleared up and hopefully with a happy ending for Brew and his family.

I do not believe Kelly came here thinking we could help getting her dog back,more likely she came here for moral support and advice,she certainly has my support 100%.
Please no more bickering,or this thread might end up closing,be civil please!!

MrThomas,to me it's clear Kelly wants her dog back,who would not?
I know were Brew my dog,no way would I ever give up getting him back..

Last edited by chico2; March 20th, 2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old March 20th, 2008, 04:10 PM
banned user

Chico..well said..it breaks my heart to see all this bickering when all Kelly wanted was a little moral support.

I for one would not give up if this was my dog..why would you..

I have received more support and concern from this site over the past year and thanks can not express my gratitude. We all love our pets or we wouldn't be here.

But hey Kelly...you have almost as may replies as me and it has taken me over a year. lol

Good luck Kelly and may this situation be resolved graciously.
Old March 20th, 2008, 04:44 PM

give a guy a break. kelly is telling people to come here. people from the spca are posting that. keep in mind our spca is well thought of here and while i know this has been cleared up now it has attracted people to this thing.

keep in mind this dog is not lost unless kelly is unsure if the dog at the pound is hers. if she is sure, her dog is in a home not lost.
Old March 20th, 2008, 04:49 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrthomas View Post
Does kelly want to just know he is okay? i got the impression she wants to take him back and no wonder the new people woundt contact her if he/she thinks they could be sued or loose the dog. Also kelly did you call all the area rescues? the people at the spca and furry friends can be really helpful. what do you want out of this. the dog back? know hes okay? contact with brews family? updates through the pound guy? maybe he could get you them?
I agree, I would want my dog back, BUT if the family refuses - in their right, give a little more then saying to the shelter..NO...thats all, there are hurt emotions on both sides, fear, anxiousness...my post wasn't to say the dog should or will be returned, or shouldn't be returned, I just feel if his new family has it in their hearts to adopt a rescue dog, then it should come easily to be empathetic to his old owners, and respond with more then a NO. Knowing he is ok and not getting him back is better then not knowing anything.

I would be afraid is I was the new family, for sure, afraid my new dog would be taken, but communication would help both sides, even if it was thru the shelter or a lawyer. If it was me, I would send a family picture to Kelly and simply say...This is why I can not return this dog to you, he is part of our family now, it would hurt Kelly and her family like hell to see that picture - but to me, that would be the piece that was missing, and if the law backed it, you'd have to accept it. Closure almost.

There are two sides to this for sure, on one side of it I wouldn't give up until I had exhausted all options, on the other, I would give closure to the family who lost him. Everyone hurting so be humane about it and communicate.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old March 20th, 2008, 06:00 PM

Hello everyone....

No I've never had definative information on whether the dog in question is Brew or not....this is part of the problem and people's inability to help me....I believe because it was a border collie out of Carberry everyone's running with the assumption that it is Brew....no one's willing to go any farther to confirm that for me....lord knows I cannot contact the new family myself so there's nothing i can do about that at the moment....

I spoke to Jim earlier about the ethical question of leaving the other family hurting over losing Brew should I get him back and yes I'm well aware of that...I'm taking it one step at a time...

I have sent this website out....this so far is my only avenue of getting my story to the new owners should they visit....if I could speak with them this would not be necessary although I still probably would have come here for support....that's irreplaceable....until now I didn't even know about pets.ca...it's an amazing sight and not just the lost and found.....

and yes when I go to a new base I become familiar with the rules and regulations....but I know where to find them now don't I....remember when i moved here I did go to town hall for "the scoop"....which i do at every new location...
Old March 20th, 2008, 06:40 PM
One day at a time

Kelly,

I've been skimming through this thread and just wanted to let you know how sorry I am for what happened. Accidents happen with pets, just like with children. Dogs are a part of a family, and the family should get a chance to appeal the decision.

If I were in the position of the adoptee family, I would at least agree to speak to you. If you seemed nice and loving, and especially if I could see your son was remorseful, I would sadly say goodbye and know that he is happiest in his REAL home. If I saw evidence of this campaign - the posters, the website, all of that around town I would know you were being serious - nobody who didn't really care about a dog would go to that much trouble and be that persistent.

My heart goes out to your son, as he must feel very guilty. I remember letting my dog out when I was a kid and he took off for the night - I was sick with grief and guilt. But that HAPPENS. Accidents HAPPEN. It's not negligence, it's not cruelty or abuse, it's just a misunderstanding!

Good luck to you.
Old March 21st, 2008, 06:55 AM
Senior Contributor

The not knowing,the lack of communication is exactly what would drive me crazy.
A meeting with the adopters and the dog in question is essential.
I am hoping this is Brew,for his sake,but since Dana said Border Collies are plentiful in the area,it is possible it's not him.
If Shane(from the pound)somehow confirmed it's Brew,then Kelly knows.
I am pleased this sad incident is getting a lot of attention,not to give any shelter a bad name,but to correct a mistake
Honestly,if I had adopted a dog,my love for him would make me give him back to the people he loves the most,the home he grew up in,unless I found there was abuse and neglect,obviously this is not the case with Brew.
Old March 21st, 2008, 06:19 PM

Kelly-Ann, could you please call me?

Kelly-Ann, my name is Allison Dowd and I am a reporter with the Brandon Sun.
I'd like to speak with you sometime this Easter Weekend regarding the situation your family now finds itself in RE: your family dog, if you have some time.
I cannot locate your phone number in any listings, could you please get in touch with me as soon as you get the chance?
You can either email me at adowd@brandonsun.com or phone my work line at 571-7434.
Warm Regards,
Allison Dowd
Old March 21st, 2008, 06:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I know the military coddles their employees and does everything for them, but it is not like that in the real world. Are you not instructed to read the routine orders when you get posted to a new base to become familiar with the base, should the same not be for you to find out what the bylaws (especially the ones that may pertain to you and your family) are when you move to a new municipality?
I most certainly hope that you are seriously kidding!

As an Air Force Veteran and the Military wife of an Infantryman currently on his way to Iraq for the second time - I can tell you that the military most certainly does NOT coddle their troops and failure to take care of your family - ON YOUR OWN - is grounds for charges under the Uniform Code of Military Justice and can result in jail time.

Coddled - are you freakin' kidding me!!!
Old March 22nd, 2008, 06:45 AM
Senior Contributor

adowd,it would be wonderful if you could help Kelly get some answers and hopefully her Brew back Thank you!
Old March 22nd, 2008, 08:22 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott View Post
I most certainly hope that you are seriously kidding!

As an Air Force Veteran and the Military wife of an Infantryman currently on his way to Iraq for the second time - I can tell you that the military most certainly does NOT coddle their troops and failure to take care of your family - ON YOUR OWN - is grounds for charges under the Uniform Code of Military Justice and can result in jail time.

Coddled - are you freakin' kidding me!!!
US or CDN?

CDN military does do everything for their troops, unlike a civilian employer, it is a community in itself. But this is off topic so I won't discuss it again.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 22nd, 2008, 11:39 AM
Garden nut

Things are getting a bit out of hand here, and I want to offer a solution.

It's now come down to the welfare of Brew. In my opinion he should be at home with his original family. People make mistakes. That's our nature. We would not learn and grow if we were perfect.

What we should be concentrating on is how we treat our fellow humans and animal companions.

For those members spiritually inclined, we should meditate and send positive energy to Kelly's family and Brew and pray that everything will turn out well for all involved.

Appreciation for all animal rescue organizations.

Compassion for those that lose their animal companions.

Forgiveness towards self and others.

Humility to see that we are not perfect, but yet can grow from our experiences.

Understanding of others.

Valor to do what is right for all involved, regardless of personal feelings.

Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old March 22nd, 2008, 11:42 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well said CearaQC!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 22nd, 2008, 11:53 AM
banned user

Ceara..so well said and I couldn't agree more
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:25 PM
-

Great post, CearaQC
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:29 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by adowd View Post
Kelly-Ann, my name is Allison Dowd and I am a reporter with the Brandon Sun.
I'd like to speak with you sometime this Easter Weekend regarding the situation your family now finds itself in RE: your family dog, if you have some time.
I cannot locate your phone number in any listings, could you please get in touch with me as soon as you get the chance?
You can either email me at adowd@brandonsun.com or phone my work line at 571-7434.
Warm Regards,
Allison Dowd

YAY.....Kelly I hope Allison's great offer brings you some long awaited results.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 05:52 PM
Kitty pimp

thank you ceara
Old March 22nd, 2008, 10:40 PM

Wow you guys I'm overwhelmed and I feel really good right now....I will be talking to the Mayor on monday (he also visited here btw)....anything i've said here I said to him on the phone and I hope we can work together to fix this situation pronto....

I have contacted the reporter and am waiting for us to connect....I feel really positive right now....thank you so much....
Closed Thread