Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old March 27th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Enough with Winter Already!!

This is day 4 or 5 of this caca east wind that keeps blowing! Pretty much every day this week, the road conditions are saying travel not recommended for our area. And it's true, I had to go to town on Friday for an interview and it was just miserable driving. Hopefully, the fact that I did drive 60 km in total caca conditions will have an influence on who they pick! Now when it's blowing snow across the road when it's -30 it just blows off, but now it's just been warm enough that it melts and then freezes, then you get that nice wind, and ice and pronghorns that think you should stop on ice to let them cross the highway! Then your road past your little village is down to one lane cause there's a 2 foot high drift blocking the other lane and ya you can drive on the other side, cause you have no choice except that there are grain and oil trucks using the road as well and they don't slow down for much!! (Did I say I love the prairies!? )

Ugh....and I have to go out tomorrow or I'll have a cat mutiny on my hands! At least with Bayley, I can thaw out some hamburger for her and she's happy, actually thrilled to get it. Next time I have cats, they're going to be raw fed!! These guys will have nothing to do with it. Even Noella now! I guess there is hope though, they're saying 14 for Medicine Hat on Thursday, so no doubt there will be some flooding! May go anyway, just to feel some warm air for a change!
Old March 27th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

I've been sick of winter for awhile now.can wait for it to end.
Old March 27th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Senior Contributor

no snow here, in fact the sun keeps shining, lot of good it does, -15c with the windchill
Old March 27th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Willing cat servant

In here for a few days it looked like it was gone and then started snowing again and it's been non-stop for like 5 days now or more.
ENOUGH ALREADY!!! It's sooo cloudy and I see no end to it

No more!
Old March 27th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Oh Koteburo, I feel your pain!! It's been the same here, it's not snowing here right this minute. What kills me is in town here, the wind is barely noticeable but get out on the highway and it's like Holy C$%p!!

We'd better have a really good spring when it decides to get here! Winter started in November and I can probably count the number of nights when it didn't go below -25 on one hand! We even had one day when the wind chill was -49!!
Old March 27th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG girls,that is cold
We here in Ontario have had enough of the winter too,after the snowstorm we had last week the snow is staying since it's still -13C at night,luckily sunny in the day.

I don't know if it is my age or not,but it seems we've had a really long winter
Old March 27th, 2011, 04:33 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post

I don't know if it is my age or not,but it seems we've had a really long winter
Besides your age Chico....it has been a long winter ....the last few days have been nice with plenty of sun, but man that wind is chilly
Old March 27th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Senior Contributor

I am totally in awe of all you people to tell the truth. The conditions you have to contend with yet you don't only come up smiling, you come up laughing. I think you'd have all made good pioneers. The ice and the pronghorns, plus trucks- yikes! Certainly hazardous conditons for driving.
Old March 27th, 2011, 07:36 PM

I liked the way my Austrian neighbor put it "I feel like the weather is torturing me"
Old March 27th, 2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
I am totally in awe of all you people to tell the truth. The conditions you have to contend with yet you don't only come up smiling, you come up laughing. I think you'd have all made good pioneers. The ice and the pronghorns, plus trucks- yikes! Certainly hazardous conditons for driving.
If Canada owned a tropical island...
Old March 27th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Obviously I'm the odd man out then. Had my sister up today so we could walk the dogs while the snow lasts. We've had the most marvellous Spring I can remember in, well ever, for hard, crusty snow we can walk on top of. It's been three weeks and I can still walk, run even, on the crust. We can go anywhere in the bush, off the trails, over the slash and with no leaves out yet have discovered hills and ridges and gullies I never saw before. It's GREAT. Mud season will be here too soon.
Old March 27th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Haha, just saw on the weather channel's site that Calgary is supposed to get 10 cm of snow on April 1st!!

Ya we have our fair share of mud or prairie gumbo..fun stuff, sticks like S%$t to a blanket!! Makes driving on grid roads challenging! It does seem to dry out pretty quick though.
Old March 27th, 2011, 09:05 PM
You can call me DOG!

Well there Miss...you can keep that crazy winter crap there!

Better yet, if you do decide to get rid of there, don't send it along our way o.k.?

Spring's a comin' but I think the ground hogs were wrong!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old March 28th, 2011, 07:05 AM

Longblades, you put it right, the weather is tolerable when you are not in the city. In the city it is horrendously annoying, and the ice keeps cutting at my dogs feet, can't wait for more melts, Leo is happy enough to go in the tub if he gets soaked.
Old March 28th, 2011, 10:05 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I hate to say it, but the snow is getting on hazel's nerves a bit, too. Much as I love the reprieve from Mud Season, it's almost April and time to get the grass greened up again. Hope you get a little more warmth soon, pattymac and Koteburo!!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 28th, 2011, 10:24 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Awww com'on guys!! This is CANADA!!! It's one of the reasons we love living here. I can not for the life of me imagine living in a country where there is moderate weather or only two seasons. Look at what we have. Yes, four seasons, always something new to look forward to, no drudgery day after day of the same ol' same ol. Look at what we don't have. Or at least not nearly so many as other more moderate countries. Not as many tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, pestilence, (oh sorry, got carried away ) ....... Maybe it gets chilly - put another sweater on, turn up the heat. We know soon the weather will change. And look what spring brings us. The awakening of flowers bursting through the ground for another season, the grass turning green after a long hiatus. My crocus' and snowdrops are out in full blooming bright colour! I know warmer weather approaches and I love it!
But you get the idea don't you? I am CANADIAN!! We are so fortunate to live somewhere where we are able to see so many changes in such a short time. I might biatch and complain about the weather but man, I can not see ever wanting to live anywhere else.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 28th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

It's also very Canadian to bitch and complain about the weather !! Yup, day 6 of travel not recommended around here. But I guess it could be worse, south-east of here one of the highways is closed!

Ah well have to venture out today..kitties need food and I need to get out of the house..before I go totally crazy (I'm already halfway there as it is!)

We get floods and tornadoes around here!! Well haven't seen a tornado yet..that would be awesome to see. (Oops, better watch what I wish for..seems to come true weather-wise!)
Old March 28th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattymac View Post
It's also very Canadian to bitch and complain about the weather !!
And I reckon you'd be entitled. The saying down here about the capital of this State is that Melbourne can have 4 seasons in a single day. Up north is Queensland it's basically the Wet and the Dry, just two seasons, but thank heaven, our seasons are noticeably different in Victoria.
Old March 28th, 2011, 11:16 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

It's not Canada here, though, 14+ So how come you have flowers and I have snow?

I don't complain much about the snow cuz I love it...but the blue birds came back today and want to make them happy. So spring can come any time now!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 28th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Senior Contributor

I honestly do love my four seasons...I just wish two of them weren't winter *L*, would you believe it has just started lightly snowing here?? very fine.....
Old March 28th, 2011, 11:33 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
I honestly do love my four seasons...I just wish two of them weren't winter *L*,

Sorry about the snow falling, though.

Old March 28th, 2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
It's also very Canadian to bitch and complain about the weather !! [...]
And no worries, in July and August we will complain about heat and humidity
With equal determination.
Old March 28th, 2011, 12:27 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
It's also very Canadian to bitch and complain about the weather !!
We get floods and tornadoes around here!! Well haven't seen a tornado yet..that would be awesome to see. (Oops, better watch what I wish for..seems to come true weather-wise!)
Yep, I know it's very Canadian to complain. But would you seriously move anywhere else? And, ummm, may I point out it was you who chose to move out west my dear?
That is why I said "Or at least not nearly so many as other more moderate countries. Not as many tornadoes, hurricanes, floods..... " .

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 28th, 2011, 01:03 PM

winter just came back full force for us last week too. ggrrrrrr. i need to move somewhere tropical! dexter loves the beach too so he would be cool with it
Old March 28th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Willing cat servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DextersRuffLife View Post
winter just came back full force for us last week too. ggrrrrrr. i need to move somewhere tropical! dexter loves the beach too so he would be cool with it
Yeah haha the sad part is the false hope XD looked good and then came back haven't seen the Sun in like a week.
My parents live in Mexico. They can haz spring burger

And pattymac we had our good share of -25 days in here too.
Now it's not as cold as then but as days go by without sun light it keeps getting colder. Will we go back to the horrors of -25?
Dun dun dun duuuuuuuun
Old March 29th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Well today it may just be spring coming!! Maybe there's hope after all out here! Amazing what 24 hours out here will do. yesterday I was going to go to the nearest town, less driving on those miserable ice covered roads, well went about 2 miles and thought there's no way I want to go another 30 k, so managed to turn around on a bare patch and headed home. Thank goodness our little store sells cat food, boys are happy they got Friskies last night!

Girl at the store tells me that piece of road is about the worst in the area! No Kidding! Road to Medicine Hat is one lane in a lot of places due to drifting. Nice! So anyway, had to go to town today for an appointment. So thought ok, we'll give our selves an hour at least. Lo and Behold..get out on the highway, clear...keep going...still clear...OMG!! Somehow the road dept managed to get the highway cleared off, nice and dry, one or two little spots of ice but 99% is clear!! It was soooo nice to get to actually do the speed limit again! Things are melting, can actually go outside for a bit with just a sweater on. A few more days like this and people will be going around in shorts!
Old March 29th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Senior Contributor

I think if you have a magnificent country, which you certainly have, you can learn to put up with anything it throws at you.
That sounds wonderful, pattymac, there's a definite sense of jubilation in that post, must be sooo good to have a clear road ahead.