Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 18th, 2021, 10:12 AM

Question Is it illegal or wrong to let my dog poop on the city sidewalk (after picking it up)?

Hi everyone,

I am relatively new in Toronto, and I have a dog. I always walk him on a 6 ft leash. I always pick his poop after he is done and dispose of it in the proper garbage bins https://www.toronto.ca/community-peo...ash-dog-parks/.

Today while walking my dog, a construction worker across the street came to me and started to yell at me and calling me gross and disgusting for letting my dog do his business on the city (public) sidewalk while I was holding a poop bag and waiting for my dog to finish his business to pick his poop up. I just asked him to walk away as he was not wearing a mask, was in my space and was insulting me. I don't think that I violated any by-laws or rules, but I am not 100% sure. Plus, I have no control over when my dog will poop, even though I try to take him to the park where the dogs are allowed. I obviously never let him go to private property, private lawns, etc.

I tried to find information on the city's website, but there is only general information https://www.toronto.ca/community-peo...s-in-the-city/. Also at random websites, I was only able to find information that it is not allowed to let your dog do his business at a private property's lawn (NATURALLY and OBVIOUSLY)https://www.toronto.ca/311/knowledge...-property.html. But I couldn't find any information if letting your dog poop on the sidewalk, on the pavement (and pick it up after) is illegal? Could you help me with this, please?

Thank you in advance

There is a lot of info in this article from Toronto Municipal Code Chapter 349 regarding Animals. Still no info regarding what I am looking for https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/municode/1184_349.pdf.
Old March 18th, 2021, 02:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

It doesn't look like it's illegal as long as you clean it up immediately, as you were doing:

Quote:
§ 349-18. Removal of excrement.Every owner of a dog shall immediately remove excrement left by the dog on property anywhere within the City.
As you point out, you can't necessarily control where your dog decides to go...and even gov't can probably see that! But from what I'm reading in the ordinance, you were following the letter of the law. So maybe the guy was just having a bad day...

However, keep in mind that I'm writing from Wisconsin, so I don't know your local laws. Is there a number at City Hall you can call with questions?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 27th, 2021, 12:01 AM
banned user

It's not illegal, that mas was only overreacting
Old October 2nd, 2021, 06:09 AM
banned user

Exclamation Definetly not wrong

Animals can't talk. If the could, probably they would not need our help as they would ask us to build for them public toilets!

Tags
city by-laws, dog by-laws, dog etiquette, dog poop, dog rules