Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Puppy health

Old January 7th, 2015, 08:12 AM

Puppy getting Spayed soon

Piper will be 6 months in 3 weeks and we are going to get her spayed and her microchipped on the same time. Any tips on making it go smooth?
Old January 7th, 2015, 03:07 PM
Senior Contributor

You should try setting up a room so she can escape from her furry sister and brothers She may not feel like playing or being touch roughly by another pets for a few days. Also write down any questions you want to ask the vet , I always forgot and end up having to call .
Old January 7th, 2015, 05:49 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

You'll definitely need to find a way to keep her quiet after the spay. It sounds easy, but if she's energetic, it might be quite the challenge to keep her from jumping, twirling, running and otherwise carrying on. Keep in mind that the quieter she stays, the more likely she'll heal quickly and with fewer complications. If you have a place you can confine her if she gets rambunctious, like a kennel, and some toys (like Kongs) you can fill with treats to keep her mind (and tastebuds) occupied, that'll go a long way Also, even if you don't think you'll need it, best to pick up one of the Elizabethan collars in her size. Some dogs never touch incisions after surgery, but all 8 of ours are inveterate stitch-rippers

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 9th, 2015, 02:28 AM

I was pretty much going to keep her in her kennel or I have a playpen which is bigger she can rest in. I hope she leaves the stitches alone.
Old January 9th, 2015, 10:59 AM
Senior Contributor

If your puppy is going to be left alone for a long time it would be good idea
to put an Elizabethan collar on her. You should made sure she eat and drink with it on. A vet gave an Elizabethan collar for my small dog and the poor dog could not eat or drink with it on.
Old January 11th, 2015, 03:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, some kind of collar will be needed. I prefer the clear cones, which I've always had to buy myelf at the pet store because the vets here seem to have only the solid white ones. Normally I can get away with using the inflatable donuts to keep them from the incision, but some dogs, with some incisions, can get around those. I've also used a BooBooLoon collar.

I like to use the homeopathic arnica pills after any surgery to help with any muscle pain or trauma.
Old January 11th, 2015, 11:03 PM

I agree with MaxaLisa on the homeopathic pills, especially Arnica. It is one that should be kept in the first aid kit for animals as well as humans. I have used them on both myself and our kitties. The nice thing is that it will not affect other medications.
Old January 13th, 2015, 09:23 AM

I hadn't heard of Arnica before. I read it can be toxic unless you use well diluted doses. Does it give you clear examples on doses so I make sure not to give too much? I am lucky that my husband is retired so someone will be home with her the entire time. I am hoping to have it done on my day off since my husband always gets nervous when the are so sedated. Since I just got back to work after my surgery I will have to wait a few weeks to get a real paycheck or 2. Hope she doesn't go into heat until then.
Old January 13th, 2015, 02:20 PM

Am enclosing a couple of web sites to have a look at to give you a basic idea of homeopathics and how they work. If you're fortunate enough to have an integrative vet - he will be knowledgeable on alternative medicines as well as conventional and be able to guide you.
Something else that you might do - if you have a good nutritional and health centre or store nearby, check and see if they handle Arnica pellets. The tubes hold about 80 pellets and in the neighbourhood of 7 or 8 dollars - depending on the store. The pellets are very small - perhaps about 1/4 or less, the size of a green pea. You'd be looking at a strength of either 30 ch or 200 ch.

I would suggest that you go in and talk to someone who is knowledgeale about Homeopathics. One question answered here is bound to start more questions. If you talk to someone, you would be able to get good one on one information. Someone would be able to advise you of the different methods for administering the Arnice - whether dry, or in distilled water, or should it be crushed or whole. A lot depends on how comfortable you would be administering.

I'm the same as your hubby, retired, and I find long stints on the feet cause for sore ankles and sore feet so I carry a vial of Arnica in my pocket just in case the ankles get too sore.

In regards to Arnica being toxic - I have never run into that statement in all the years I've been doing homeopathics. I could understand it if it was an alternative application that was being talked about, ie: topical taken internally??

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com...thic-remedies/

http://www.natural-dog-health-remedi...-for-dogs.html
Old January 13th, 2015, 03:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg. View Post
Am enclosing a couple of web sites to have a look at to give you a basic idea of homeopathics and how they work. If you're fortunate enough to have an integrative vet - he will be knowledgeable on alternative medicines as well as conventional and be able to guide you.
Something else that you might do - if you have a good nutritional and health centre or store nearby, check and see if they handle Arnica pellets. The tubes hold about 80 pellets and in the neighbourhood of 7 or 8 dollars - depending on the store. The pellets are very small - perhaps about 1/4 or less, the size of a green pea. You'd be looking at a strength of either 30 ch or 200 ch.

I would suggest that you go in and talk to someone who is knowledgeale about Homeopathics. One question answered here is bound to start more questions. If you talk to someone, you would be able to get good one on one information. Someone would be able to advise you of the different methods for administering the Arnice - whether dry, or in distilled water, or should it be crushed or whole. A lot depends on how comfortable you would be administering.

I'm the same as your hubby, retired, and I find long stints on the feet cause for sore ankles and sore feet so I carry a vial of Arnica in my pocket just in case the ankles get too sore.

In regards to Arnica being toxic - I have never run into that statement in all the years I've been doing homeopathics. I could understand it if it was an alternative application that was being talked about, ie: topical taken internally??

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com...thic-remedies/

http://www.natural-dog-health-remedi...-for-dogs.html
I was going to post the second link too , I am glad to see you posted it .
Old January 14th, 2015, 12:38 AM
Senior Contributor

The HERB arnica is toxic and should only used as a poultice on external injuries, as my mom used to do as a young girl and would go pick it in the mountains

Homeopathically, no worries about the toxicity.
Old January 14th, 2015, 05:40 AM
Senior Contributor

On second thought, I don't think it's technically an herb (not sure), but it does flower

Regardless, it's the plant form you do have to worry about, not the homeopathic form.
Old January 14th, 2015, 10:28 AM

I will check at our health food store and see if they have it. We only have traditional vets in this town. I am having trouble with my vet getting her to use the vaccination routine I want to use. I have been thinking of looking for a new on as she is nervous treated my big dog which in turn makes him nervous about her. He is normally very friendly and easy going but gets weird around her. She is the only one that makes him that way.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 11:26 AM

Piper got spayed last Thursday and did well. They pulled 3 retained baby teeth and micro chipped her at the same time. She was pretty sedated when we brought her home and did this sad little whimper occasionally but by the next day she was running around like mad and it is all we can do to keep her quiet. She has not bothered her stitches at all, I keep a sweater on her and she just acts like she doesn't even have any so that is good. They will come out on the 9th. I am glad that it is over.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 12:41 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm glad it's going so well! Yay, Piper!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 8th, 2015, 05:19 AM

We have to do this soon with our second dog. I hope it goes well

I'm glad everything it's great with Piper.
Old February 9th, 2015, 08:54 AM

Getting the stitches out today. She did amazing. Not once did she bother her stitches. Thank goodness.