Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old August 12th, 2008, 01:06 PM

Cats run out the front door every time I come home

This has been an ongoing problem for the last few weeks. Whenever I come home from work, my two cats will run out the front door the second I open it. Since I live in a condo, this isn't a big problem. But it does get annoying that I'm always 'kitten wrangling' every time I come home.

I tried blocking the opening like when I played defensive tackle (football) way back in high school, but they are too quick! I tried sneaking in as well, but they actually wait by the door.
Old August 12th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

They can hear your footsteps as you are coming down the hall, so the run to the door to get ready to run. Sneaky little devils aren't they.

Sorry, I don't have any advice, I have tried everything to keep my foster kittens in their room in the morning before I go to work when I just want to feed them and clean thier litterbox. DH sometimes accompanies me and plays goalie as they try to run out.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 12th, 2008, 02:03 PM
proud to be a cat slave

I try the old foot blocking the entrance, and I always say "back up, back up" .. I think I just have fooled myself into thinking it works Alley's pretty agile, and she gets right out onto the driveway - then I have to spend the next 10 minutes trying to get her out from under the car.

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old August 12th, 2008, 02:35 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Sorry Phoozles, that image is too funny!!

Joeyjoejoe - I feel your pain. I have a couple that do that too but I blame myself. I was the one who took them out on a harness! Is there a screen or something you can get that can block your door? It will give you a chance to get in the door and get it closed before they get you. Other than that

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old August 12th, 2008, 04:37 PM
~Cat Servent~

Water, water and more water. When I was training my outdoor boys to stay in I had a water bottle at the ready on both sides of the door.... every time I entered and exited they got sprayed (because they were always at the door), it took a little time but eventually they stopped rushing the door and now take a leisurely stroll to meet me once I'm in. The odd time it's open for them to look out the screen now, all I have to do is make the water bottle noise and they scatter so that I can go in or out. The spray bottle has to be set to stream so that they feel it hit them, I mean who would be startled by a nice misting! It teaches them to fear the door, which although mean on some level... really really works. In fact hubby left the door ajar the other day and I panicked, only to find that all 6 were accounted for and not even interested in it at all, which is good- a slight nudge of the head and they could have been out!

They've been in for 3 years now and we've had 2 incidents with a run for it.... and one of those was the purolator guys fault... and they got no more than a couple of feet outside the door before they stopped.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old August 13th, 2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Sorry Phoozles, that image is too funny!!

Joeyjoejoe - I feel your pain. I have a couple that do that too but I blame myself. I was the one who took them out on a harness! Is there a screen or something you can get that can block your door? It will give you a chance to get in the door and get it closed before they get you. Other than that
I don't think the condo will allow me to put up a screen door. Kyuubi is a little pudgy and slow, but Azrael is really athletic. From a sitting position, he can jump 5 feet easily. So putting up any obstacles (besides a wall) would be pointless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
Water, water and more water. When I was training my outdoor boys to stay in I had a water bottle at the ready on both sides of the door.... every time I entered and exited they got sprayed (because they were always at the door), it took a little time but eventually they stopped rushing the door and now take a leisurely stroll to meet me once I'm in. The odd time it's open for them to look out the screen now, all I have to do is make the water bottle noise and they scatter so that I can go in or out. The spray bottle has to be set to stream so that they feel it hit them, I mean who would be startled by a nice misting! It teaches them to fear the door, which although mean on some level... really really works. In fact hubby left the door ajar the other day and I panicked, only to find that all 6 were accounted for and not even interested in it at all, which is good- a slight nudge of the head and they could have been out!

They've been in for 3 years now and we've had 2 incidents with a run for it.... and one of those was the purolator guys fault... and they got no more than a couple of feet outside the door before they stopped.
I've done some research online and it seems like everyone recommends the water spray bottle/gun approach. The problem is I cannot leave it outside my place... again, condo won't allow it. Also, I'm not carrying a water bottle/gun whenever I leave my place (even a pocket sized one). Last thing I want is something full of water leaking down my pants!

I'm going to try this out. I never used water as a deterrent method, so I don't know how they will take it.
Old August 13th, 2008, 03:01 PM

Hope you find a solution to your problem. Dog owner here and they do the same thing to, but I find with my dog she is more interested in trying to jump on me than get out the door.

Thanks for the chuckle,, I can just see the water drops down the pants and someone talking to you wondering what is going on with you,, lol,,
Old September 10th, 2008, 03:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi
Can u put a baby gate just inside the door so u can grab it just by sticking your hand around the corner with the door open a tiny bit? Or if u drive to work,,,take the baby gate with u so that u have it in your hands pulled out as u walk in the door? I use a baby gate to herd wilbur back from the door.