Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 11th, 2011, 02:55 AM

Black Flies

So I've been reading a bit about remedies for black flies; we have a huge problem right now in our area and our two dogs are getting just annihilated by them, does the Apple Cider Vinegar work well for it or are there any other remedies to repel these flies.
Old June 11th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry I cannot help,but I am sure someone else can,those poor dogs
Old June 11th, 2011, 04:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I've heard that some people have luck tucking Bounce dryer sheets into the dogs' collars. Something in the sheet apparently repels mosquitoes and blackflies, but I've never tried it so I'm going by hearsay on that one.

One thing that worked for me was real Vanilla extract. I'd put it on the brim of my booney hat when birdwatching and it would keep the blackflies away. Not sure how you'd put it on a dog, though, unless you tie a bandanna around the neck and put the extract on that. The extract is usually dissolved in alcohol, so your dog shouldn't be allowed to ingest it. And the artificial stuff won't work at all--just the real vanilla extract, which is pretty expensive and has to be renewed frequently. Luckily, though, it doesn't take much for an application. I used to put it in an old squeeze spray bottle (like a nasal spray bottle) and use that to mist the brim of my hat.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 11th, 2011, 05:52 PM

There is a black fly repellant for horses that's made by the Absorbine people. Smell like, well, like Absorbine Jr. I've heard good things about it, if you don't mind your dog smelling like that.
Old June 11th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Senior Contributor

I've read you should not eat bananas. Blackflies like the OH and the dog more than they do me. For years we did not eat bananas in spring and summer. I have no idea if it helped or not.

You can also try to buy unscented products of any kind, shampoo especially. Just think, blackflies pollinate lots of flowers, blueberries in particular depend on blackflies, so it stands to reason scent might play a role. Or at least it sounds good.
Old June 11th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I use Absorbine Fly Shield in the green bottle, natural ingredients. I just give her a quick spray on her legs and tummy. Don't like to use too much even if it says natural. I checked the label before though and it includes dogs. I like the smell too, heheh reminds me of my horse days It may work on other nasties too. There's alot of deer etc here and haven't found a tick yet or a flea.
Old June 12th, 2011, 10:50 AM

patty, that's the stuff I was thinking about. I'd like to try it but I know I could not handle that scent in my house. Fortunately flies aren't an issue here and the skitters don't seem that bad any more.
I never had luck with bounce sheets, but they did make Scruffy soft and fluffy! hee hee
Old June 12th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Senior Contributor

This stuff is what lots of people around here swear by (hope a link is OK, I don't represent this product in anyway!!)
http://cottagedog.com/pub/muskokawoo...sh-splash.html
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old June 12th, 2011, 12:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That looks promising, otter. I might have to try some of that! The blackflies are horrendous this year, though the dragonflies showed up today to help rid us of them (the dragonflies think blackflies are delish! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etown_Chick View Post
I never had luck with bounce sheets, but they did make Scruffy soft and fluffy! hee hee
It supposedly will cure any static problems he might have, too!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 12th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattymac View Post
I use Absorbine Fly Shield in the green bottle, natural ingredients. I just give her a quick spray on her legs and tummy. Don't like to use too much even if it says natural. I checked the label before though and it includes dogs. I like the smell too, heheh reminds me of my horse days It may work on other nasties too. There's alot of deer etc here and haven't found a tick yet or a flea.
pattymac where can u get this product? Do u know if Walmart carries it?

Otter that stuff sounds good too. I wonder if our vet carries it.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old June 13th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Senior Contributor

http://farnamhorse.com/product.php?c...&cat=On+Animal

I use the above. Farnam has a big line of horse products that can be used for dogs. It doesn't say blackflies but it seems to repel them. I use it for pooch and me. Sparingly as I can. It is a natural product but so is some pretty dangerous stuff and I would caution any who feel "natural" means you can use it freely. After all, nicotine is a natural product. Natural in many cases means no government testing or approval.

This product contains pyrethrins. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrethrin It is one of the safest but just take a look at the toxicity. My pyrethrin (painted daisy) are blooming quite nicely in my garden right now.

ETA: http://www.peteducation.com/article....+1684&aid=2252

Last edited by Longblades; June 13th, 2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old June 13th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Senior Contributor

I use bounce sheets when we go bushwalking, I wipe brina down with one and then tuck it under her collar
Old June 13th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Senior Contributor

You might want to rethink the Bounce sheets. They are loaded with harmful chemicals and the manufacturer cautions against use around pets for fear of ingestion. It doesn't say but I would also wonder about absorption through the skin in less hairy areas like the tummy. You should not dry your children's clothes with them either as it is flammable or it removes anti-flamatory properties, not sure which but pretty scary either way.

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/ani...-use-with-pets

There are chemical free, or "natural", which has its own problems, dryer sheets. I don't know if these work on the bugs but I have heard it said they provide anti-static that helps some dogs in thunder storms.
Old June 13th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Senior Contributor

thank you Longblades for bringing that to my attention!! I honestly had no idea, I'm one of "those" people who hear something and go ahead and try it! *L* (lazy in other words) I'll definately quit using it now!! thanks for being the type that does read the fine print and educating the rest of us.
Old June 16th, 2011, 02:51 PM

Since Sparky is shaved they get him like no tomorrow. We rub him down with a bounce sheet then after he's 'fully coated' we tie ti to his collar so they stay away from his face/ears without wiping them.

It works

ETA ; twas his vet who recommended, it's not all sheets that work, it's the 'chemicals' in bounce & the stongish smell. Sparky hasn't ever been sick from it or rashes. I think bug bites are more harmful to be honest.