Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Closed Thread

Old March 20th, 2004, 12:43 PM

pregnant cat problems

My cat has had a litter before and she was sucessful. This new litter has become a problem. She has held on to them for a long time. She has been in labor for a week but she seems to be stopping herself. She still eats heavily even though she can barely move around. Her belly has become rock solid and they are moving in there fast. Her last litter she held on to them for a couple weeks but this time I think she is about a month over due. What should I do. She seems to be fine and the kittens are alive. But she is very uncomfertable. She wont lay down for more than an hour.
Old March 20th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Senior Contributor

VET!!
Old March 20th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Senior Contributor

OH MY GOD.

VET RIGHT NOW.

And get her spayed.
Old March 20th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Thumbs down

OK, wolfeyes, I won't tell you what I think you are right out. Now how come you are letting your cat have kittens? Spay the poor creature.

Quote:
She has been in labor for a week but she seems to be stopping herself. She still eats heavily even though she can barely move around. Her belly has become rock solid and they are moving in there fast. Her last litter she held on to them for a couple weeks but this time I think she is about a month over due.
GET THE POOR THING TO THE VET. If your child was in pain (if you have any) I really think you would go on the internet and ask questions.

or are you too "poor" to take your cat to the vet? In that case, you shouldn't have gotten the cat in the first place.
Old March 20th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Your joking right????????

Geez what is it with people.

Take her to the vet before her and her babies die....If they haven't already.

And they wonder why we get ticked off....
Old March 20th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
this time I think she is about a month over due.
Looking more closely and calmly at this post, I realize it makes absolutely no sense, and that this person knows nothing about labor and birth in cats.

It's impossible for a cat to be a month overdue! This would be the equivalent of a human being pregnant for 14 months! Obviously this person has no idea when her cat got pregnant.

I don't think she's in labor at all, but when she is, and starts HARD labour and if she produces nothing after an hour or so, she must go to the vet.

If you want to breed cats, go buy some show/breeding quality kittens, and learn something about breeding.
Old March 20th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Senior Contributor

The person must know nothing! Even so, this is by far the worst post I've ever seen for that type of thing.
Old March 20th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Maybe you are one of those cat-owners who do not think cats are valuable enough to take to a vet,then I pity the poor cat.
I have no experience with pregnant cats,but if in doubt please take her to the vet,he/she can tell you whats going on.
Personally if any of my cats are in pain I'll be at the vet ASAP always better safe than sorry.
Old March 20th, 2004, 05:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Ummmmmmm

Like what are you waiting for?

You think she is a month over due? and your still waiting for what? might I ask

Your common sense should have told you what you came here to ask but we shall tell you if need be.

****************VET VISIT ASAP*****************

There......Now please go to the phone and get that poor kitty the help it needs
Old March 21st, 2004, 09:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
like what are you waiting for?
Exactly. What is this person waiting for? The cat to die?
Old June 4th, 2007, 04:30 PM

Angry A little too harsh...

I just wanted to express to everyone that was so harsh towards wolfeyes concern for her cat. First of all, I highly doubt that her cat is a month overdue, she may just not be sure when she was bred, second of all, she wrote for advice, and granted, it's common sense to call the vet if the cat appears to be having severe pains and so forth, however, I have a cat that is overdue almost 2 weeks, I contacted the vet, I contacted SEVERAL vets, and they have all told me the same thing... if she is not showing any signs of discomfort or full blown labor without having a kitten within 2 hours, then to just let her go, she will have them when she is ready, their is obvious kitten movement still, they are not dead or anything like that. I thought this site was to get to know people and get information and help from others, not be insulted and put down.
Old June 4th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Senior Contributor

I have had experience (not willing mind you!!) with cats who gave birth and so I seriously doubt she is overdue for a month! If that is the case, the kittens are dead and the cat may well have a serious infection. It is likely not a month but whatever the problem is, get her to a vest yesterday!!! ASAP!!! Don't read any more, start the car and put your cat in a carrier and find an emergency vet, NOW!!!!

Even if a vet can check to see where the kittens are. You can do that yourself if you know how. But a vet obviously has more at hand.

And please spay your cat. The breeders I know only allow their cats to breed once - and they have a vet on speed dial - and also breed only a cat who is a Grand Champion and allow them one litter. One more they feel is too much and I agree! Please spay your cat but first make sure she is OK and is not seriously ill!!! If you are correct and she is a month off, she is grave danger and there is almost no hope for the kittens! But I doubt it is a month off - that sounds impossible!
Old June 4th, 2007, 06:51 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhenning View Post
I just wanted to express to everyone that was so harsh towards wolfeyes concern for her cat.
Wow, you really just want to stir up troubles don't you, this thread is from 2004
Old June 4th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Advice,she said her cat can barley move and is very uncomfortable,.WHY would you get on the internet instead of seeing your vet.................And WHY is someone even having a litter of kittens.......
Old June 4th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Thumbs down

Oh wait im sorry 2 LITTERS.......
Old June 4th, 2007, 07:57 PM

This thread is 3+ years old. The OP has not posted since. This thread will now be closed.
Closed Thread