Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old May 26th, 2007, 01:50 PM

breed discussion

My red mini doxies gave us 1 dapple & 2 I xan't remember the name of. They're white; one w/ red face and a couple of red spots, the other w/ black face and black butterfly on her back. Mon and dad are CKC registered. What is the name used for the white ones, how do I look up the history, and are they worth more money knowing that they came from 2 reds?

Last edited by mgoodvin; May 31st, 2007 at 03:07 AM. Reason: My questions were answered, thank you
Old May 26th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

YOu have to be kidding me!

NO they are not worth more money... Just being CKC registered is NOT a reason to breed, how were the health tests on the parents???
I guess this breeding was to better the Doxie breed you know, for show??

So no good vibes that your pup is worth more from coloring alone, IMO that is something a BYB would say.

Last edited by erykah1310; May 26th, 2007 at 02:33 PM. Reason: little too rude
Old May 26th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Performance Spaniels

No piebald isn't worth more. Please go do some research, doxies are already a breed with a million issues, you aren't helping to better them.
Old May 26th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Doggie Wench

If you take a look around the forum, you may notice it's quite a pro spay/neuter board since thousands of animals are euthanized daily in shelters and pounds. Judging from your previous post, I would think you should know this since one of your dogs was a rescue. Please do your dogs and puppies a favor and have them spayed and neutered so as to not add to the horrendous pet over-population crisis.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....765#post420765

I would recommend you contact an experienced, reputable trainer for your other concerns. Good luck to your puppies; I hope you will find wonderful, loving, responsible homes for them and pray they do not end up a shelter statistic.
Old May 26th, 2007, 07:54 PM

A responsible breeder is one who always puts the best interests of the breed and of individual dogs first, above any consideration of profit, trendiness, or personal ambition. A responsible breeder does not produce a litter just to have pups to sell or just because a bitch happened to come into season. He/she produces a litter only after careful consideration of the physical qualities and temperament of the proposed parents, their individual strengths and weaknesses, how their pedigrees (ancestors) relate, and what the proposed breeding would contribute to the improvement of the breed. This is often a difficult and time-consuming process, therefore, it is not surprising to find that a responsible breeder considers the puppies as his/her "kids" and wants only the best homes for them.

A responsible breeder...
- is eager to share detailed breed information
- believes there are no "stupid" questions
- grabs every opportunity to educate
- explains total breed care
- supplies shot records, pedigrees, care information
- explains genetic defects in the breed
- is willing to let you see the sire & dam
- questions the buyers ability to care for the dog
- offers guarantees
- talks about training and development
- cares about each and every pup
- maintains sanitary, clean quarters for the dogs
- tests all breeding stock
- is involved with the breed whether it is conformation, field trials, or specific competitions for the breeds.

If you cannot check off each and everyone of these points then please please get your dogs Spayed/neutered!

Breeding for money is the worst possible reason for breeding dogs and unfortunately that is what contributes to the pet overpopulation problem!

just my

http://www.freewebs.com/crazy4cresteds/index.htm
Old May 27th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Senior Contributor

please make it your responsibility now to find a good home for these little lives and not making a dollar. you have a rescue, you dont know the lineage so it doesnt matter what colour their parents are and what colours they are you should not be trying to sell these dogs at top dollar, but finding QUALITY homes and then having your pets fixed!
more rescues should really be spaying and neutering before adopting.
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old May 27th, 2007, 10:02 PM

I compete at many dog shows, about 2/month on average and have never seen a white "doxie", as you called it. I would be curious to know if that is even an acceptable colour? Do you actually have the registration papers on the parents or were you just told they are registered? it makes a HUGE difference.

Like the previous posts, please only breed your dogs if there is an excellent reason. You obviously have not seen all the puppies and mix puppies out there that people are not able to sell.
Old June 6th, 2007, 09:17 PM

Just FYI, I spoke with a breeder this weekend at a show and she informed me that the piebald colouring you speak of is actually "illegal" in the US and strongly frowned upon in Canada. She actually has seen very few and knows that breeders try very hard to keep it out of their lines. You would not be able to show a dog with those markings anywhere that she knows of.
Old June 6th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Senior Contributor

No reputable person will purchase a back yard bred animal in any case - and I cannot believe you would do this with a rescued animal!! While I am not shocked this despicable kind of thing occurs, I am appalled that anyone would come here to ask the kind of questions you pose. A knowledgeable breeder of Doxies would know what to expect and would only breed after answering all the questions posed by Crestedcrazy and then only breed Champions. Are either of your dogs Champions - can you tell us the genetics of the dogs as far back as at least 3 generations? Where is your mentor. Even the best breeders have mentors - they all communicate with one another. And no one EVER EVER EVER breeds to make a profit - in fact, most of them loose money - they do it for the betterment of the breed. You I am afraid have just caused the birth of I am sure very cute ad lovable puppies but ones who will not be eligible for showing nor for sale as reputable CKC dogs, ones in fact as someone noted who are frowned upon - because they dilute the breed standard.

Please spay and neuter your dogs asap!!!! And I am happy that all went well with the birthing and the mom is OK given that you yourself state one of your ambitions is to make money. That is what we call a back yard breeder and it is anything BUT a compliment. I am sorry to be so frustrated but I can't believe you did this! To me, while I know the CKC will not accept your puppies because of their looks and incongruence with the standard, I just want there to be homes for all the cats and dogs and bunnies in the world - and there are too many now homeless animals NOW- without you or anyone else adding to a significant and atrocious problem!

Last edited by CyberKitten; June 6th, 2007 at 09:40 PM.