Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 14th, 2016, 08:40 AM

Please help me decide

In Sept. my 15 yr. old dog had a malignant tumour removed from his mouth. The prognosis was not favourable. He still seems to be OK as he occasionally coughs and claws at his mouth as if he has something stuck, but eats and drinks just fine and loves to go for his walks. This is the problem for me, I got a notice that he should have his blood test for heartworm. I am struggling to decide if I should put him on this medication since his system is compromised as it is. I just want him to live out his last days as best he can. I don't want to introduce something that might make him worse. Hopefully someone can help me decide what to do.
Old March 14th, 2016, 08:56 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

So sorry to hear about your dog.

Has he been on heartworm preventives in the past and is just due for his test before starting up the meds again for the mosquito season? If that's the case, and it were us, I think we'd have the test done and then decide whether or not to do the meds.

Any vet worth his weight in salt should be able to talk you through the decision based on your boy's condition and prognosis. Do some homework so you have your facts before you when you call or go in to have the discussion--find out the timing for heartworm disease. I believe it takes a few months for heartworms to mature, even if he's bitten by an infected mosquito, so if you're blessed with more than 2 more months with your boy, and you opt not to give the meds at present, it might be feasible to retest after a couple months and then rethink your decision of whether to medicate. Again, though, do some research and find out what the timing is on progression of the disease, especially if you're in a heartworm-prone area, and have a frank chat with your vet.

I'm so sorry you're going through this--we just lost a dog to an oral melanoma, so it hits home with us.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 14th, 2016, 12:20 PM

Thank you for your advice I will be going to our Vet and ask questions. My dog has been on Heartguard since I've had him and his test have always been negative. He takes it from May to Nov. Last year I asked our Vet if he ever treated a dog for heartworm and he said no. I took from that it is not prevalent here. As you can tell I am worried about him and want him to be as healthy as he can be despite his condition. Thanks again. Betty