Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 28th, 2016, 11:53 AM

Exclamation Lipoma has burst!

We have recently inherited "Chance" from our friend who passed away. Chance is a 14 year old black Lab. He has early stage laryngeal paralysis. This condition isn't too concerning (yet) since we previously had a chocolate Labrador who suffered with the condition. We are aware of the triggers and what precautions to take with LP. Our urgent concern is a large (tennis ball size) fast growing lipoma on his neck. It has doubled in size over the past two months and seems to mainly consist of fluid. Yesterday, a part of the mass that was bulging (half dollar size) burst and is now continually draining a pink/red fluid. I have used iodine to cleanse the area and have changed a super thick absorbent wrap every 2-3 hours. Draining appx 17 hours now, the size of mass has reduced considerably (from a softball size to a tennis ball size). Last week, we were told by a vet that a surgery to remove the lipoma would be very risky because of his laryngeal paralysis. My question is will it stop draining on its own? How long should I expect the drainage to last? Are there other nonsurgical procedures to consider? Aside from infection are there any other risks to consider?
Old March 28th, 2016, 12:56 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Holy catz! That sounds more like an abscess than a lipoma--has your vet seen it since it burst? If it's a draining abscess, Chance may need a course of antibiotics to help things along. And if it's an abscess, they can perhaps clean it out some without having to resort to a general anesthesia (which is what I'm guessing would be the dangerous thing in a dog with LP?). So I think a vet visit would be a good idea.

Either way, abscess or lipoma, it should stop draining on its own after a while. It may not reduce completely--there will likely be at least some edema left at the site when it's done.

Please keep us posted on Chance's progress! I have a soft spot for black labs, especially the senior ones! When he's feeling better, I hope you'll share some pictures of him!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 29th, 2016, 05:58 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree with HRP that antibiotics would be a good idea here.

I would also want to keep the wound from healing too fast while it is draining. Lipomas may reoccur in the same spot but I might wonder if this is more of a sebaceous cyst.

Whatever it is, with any luck, draining, and with abx, maybe it won't return. The fluid created is the body responding to *something*

I had a dog with lipomas, which were made worse with any type of fish oil, so there might be a dietary trigger to these things. She also needed digestive enzymes to digest fat. If his diet was recently changed, there might be a reason for the quick growth. Some lipomas have deep tentacles and are difficult to remove. Oh, I would also keep an eye on the thyroid. If I had a lipoma dog now, I would try a few things like turmeric or curcumin, or maybe sunflower lecithin.

I had a different dog with a stubborn large seb cyst near the spine that was removed via surgery - it was deep and all sorts of uck came out. It would open and drain frequently, but only the surgery got rid of it completely. I wasn't able to get in and clean it out well, and I think that's what it needed.

Good luck!
Old March 30th, 2016, 10:50 AM

So Sorry to hear this. We treat cysts and tumors with CannaDoggy Paste mixed 1:1 with DMSO. We get it sent up from the US. It helps get the yucky stuff out, keep it clean, and heal it naturally. We didn't want to put our pup through surgery.

Best of luck!

Tags
lipoma