Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 19th, 2022, 09:12 PM

could kitty be pregnant?

In my dad's garage, we have several feral cats who have adopted us. Not too long ago, Dad and I took four of them to the Humane Society to be fixed, since two of them (Cutie Pie and Little Mama) have each had two litters of kittens. There are at least 15 total cats in our garage. We also took the (as far as I can tell) only male 'Horny Bob' in with us too, to avoid any more litters with the other kitties. They are back with their friends and extended family, and they are all doing very well. (I say 'as far as I can tell' since I'm not sure how to tell the difference between male and female cats when they're young; after all, Ambre was Amber until the vet proved me wrong! And we have another feral cat named Lily, who turned out to be Leroy!) I'm not sure which kitties are male, and which are female. How can I tell which cats are male, or female?

Getting back to the question at hand, how can I tell if a young cat is pregnant? We have a gray and white kitty (whom I call Kitty-to-be-named-later), who I think looks like she could be pregnant, even though Bob has been fixed. She looks young, but I thought I saw that her belly looks a little big. I've seen Cutie Pie and Little Mama when they were expecting, and Kitty-to-be-named-later is not as big as they were yet.

Last edited by smg680; March 19th, 2022 at 09:30 PM.
Old March 20th, 2022, 08:22 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Holy moley! That's a lot of cats! I'll bet your garage is about as vermin free as any place on the planet!

I don't have a lot of cat experience, so I have difficulty telling the difference between male and female in young kittens, too. There is a video at the top of this page that I found helpful: https://www.kittenlady.org/sex

As for Kitty-to-be-named-later, if you can catch her, a vet could tell you if she's expecting. I'm not sure how you'd tell from a distance. And although Bob has been fixed, there are probably other toms wandering around that she might have met.

Do worms cause rounded tummies in kittens? Maybe the belly bulge is from a case of worms? If you can get a stool sample (I know, with 15 that might be difficult) you could get a quick answer to that question....

Good luck with Kitty-to-be-named-later!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 3rd, 2022, 08:45 AM

update

Kitty-to-be-named-later has been rechristened "Teeny", and she has three healthy kittens!
Old August 10th, 2022, 11:43 AM

kitty

congratulations and how do the kittens? good, I also recently had 4 kittens. They are small, sweet, only a little wild