Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old November 11th, 2010, 12:33 AM

Stray kitty - no food!

Hey guys, a kitty turned up this week at the camp I work at. Looks young, pretty small, thin, but not horribly skinny. One of the guys here has been feeding it cooked rice, and cooked chicken bones. I tried telling him that's not very good kitty food, but he doesn't speak english very well, and doesn't listen to anyone anyway! Thankfully, the kitty didn't eat the bones, and I tossed them out.

So...long story short, I can get canned kitty food on the weekend, but that's a few days away. The kitty is starving so I soaked some dog kibble (Orijen Adult) in water, added some ground beef and a spoon of Tripett canned tripe as well as a squirt of Salmon Oil. That's really all I have that is remotely kitty food. Kitty was also VERY thirsty and drank quite a bit of water. I'm assuming that what I put out for the kitty is better than chicken bones and rice? This is what I have that is kind of maybe kitty suitable:

~ Ground beef
~ Tripett canned tripe
~ Soaked Orijen dog food
~ Salmon oil
~ Canned baby clams

Which of these should I feed? Which should I not feed?
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie
Old November 11th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Doggie Wench

I'm not sure about the Orijen but, I imagine it won't hurt if it's only for a few days . Ground beef and tripe are fine...and yes, certainly much better than cooked bones and rice . Couldn't answer you about the salmon oil or clams, hopefully someone more knowledgeable in kitty nutrition will be along in one minute.

Last edited by luckypenny; November 11th, 2010 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Just having fun :)
Old November 11th, 2010, 12:48 AM
Live well, laugh often

Sounds like pretty good short term options to me . I would be careful with the salmon oil as it can make for some loose poops if not added gradually and the kitten may already have some issues with the food. I'm also not sure about the clams . When you do get the cat food you should try for wet food if possible as it is much better for the cats.
Old November 11th, 2010, 12:58 AM

Thank you for the very quick response! Kitty thanks you too I'm sure!

I was concerned about the clams, so I haven't fed any of that yet. I was a bit concerned about beef too because it's so rich. Btw I am feeding the ground beef raw. Good point on the salmon oil, I was thinking it would be a good source of fat to fatten her up, but diarrhea wouldn't be good and it's not like I can monitor her poops outside. I'm going to buy the kitty some grain-free canned food on the weekend.

Until then I will stick to maybe 50/25/25 (beef/tripe/soaked Orijen) with a couple drops of Salmon oil unless someone suggests something better.
--------------------
Old November 11th, 2010, 07:50 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Drop the soaked Orijen. It is not needed and if not eaten quickly will start growing mould. Ground beef is fine if kitty is tolerating it for short term. I find my guys don't like beef much. A raw egg yolk, no white, mixed in with the food is ok. A couple of clams won't hurt if kitty will eat them. A tiny amount of salmon oil won't hurt. Of course the weekend is coming quickly for you to get the proper food for this kitty.
Are you planning on taking kitty home with you?

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 11th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Please tell your coworker to STOP feeding cooked bones, it can cause deadly injuries

No cooked meat, raw is better for the cat as they need their taurine and taurine is destroyed by cooking. The dog food may not contain any as it is not an essential nutrient for dogs. Beef is quite high in taurine so kitty will get it from there. Do not worry about the richness of beef, cats don't have a problem with meat protein as dogs do, they are carnivores. The only issue with ground beef is the possibility of ecoli being present due to the grinding of the meat.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 11th, 2010, 09:25 AM

Ok, thanks 14+. No more soaked Orijen. I won't have proper kitty food until Saturday evening. I won't bother with the clams. Just beef, tripe, and a couple drops of Salmon oil then.

L4h, I already described the problem with the co-worker. I can't stop him from doing it, all I can do is throw the bones away. Kitty isn't eating them anyway. I did say I am not cooking the beef. I think the canned tripe is cooked though...???
--------------------
Old November 11th, 2010, 09:32 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Myka if its possible to get kitty to eat it,,,if you have some chicken,beef w/e ,,cut it up small and give it to the kitten raw,it will help kitty out much better than anything else at the moment. If kitty is full it wont go anywhere near the cooked bones thus making a happy and safe kitty..oh and thanks for looking out for the little one.
Old November 11th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post

L4h, I already described the problem with the co-worker. I can't stop him from doing it, all I can do is throw the bones away. Kitty isn't eating them anyway. I did say I am not cooking the beef. I think the canned tripe is cooked though...???
I am not familiar with tripe and it is not normally part of feeding a cat in a homemade raw diet

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 12th, 2010, 12:32 AM

Thanks for the input everyone. Like I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Just beef, tripe, and a couple drops of Salmon oil then.
She (I think) is getting 90% raw ground beef and 10% canned lamb tripe. I also add a couple drops of wild Salmon oil. She is eating this well.

It turns out I am leaving camp tomorrow afternoon and I won't be back at camp until Tuesday evening now. So kitty won't have canned kitty food until Tuesday evening. I mixed up a bunch of beef, tripe, and Salmon oil for the kitty and gave it to my co-worker to feed her.

I'm going to talk to my vet about getting her spayed if she isn't already. Hard to look for a scar on her belly when she is half wild! I would like to take her home, but I'm working in this camp until April next year, so she's going to have to wait it out. I will buy her one of those heated dog houses since she isn't allowed in the camp shack. I'm working on being allowed to let her in though because it gets to -40C up here.

I will try to remember to take a picture of her tomorrow! She's cute.
--------------------
Old November 12th, 2010, 01:19 AM
-

Glad to hear that the kitty is eating.

What kind of a camp are you in? If the guy was feeding her chicken bones then they must have chicken. Is it not possible to give her some of that meat?
Old November 12th, 2010, 11:00 PM

She wasn't around this morning...she usually just shows up in the evenings looking for food. So I couldn't get a photo.

It is a self-sufficient camp, we are not fed, we feed ourselves. I eat very little meat, so I don't have anything but the partially freezer-burned ground beef. The guy that was feeding her chicken bones buys a bunch of frozen drumsticks and boils them all up in one go. He didn't have any raw stuff or any more chicken at al actually. He got fired today anyway, so no more chicken bones. I left the ground beef with the another co-worker there. He said he was going to buy some dry cat food, and I explained to him why dry cat food isn't good for cats and how the meat needs to be uncooked. He looked quite skeptical, but did listen. I also told him I am going to pick up some canned food this weekend. At least everyone's intentions are good at this point! Makes the future look brighter for kitty.

It is a tough thing to try to convince middle-aged people that dry cat food isn't good when they have been feeding dry cat food for the last 40 years and of course, "My cat is fine, and he eats dry food." We had sibling barn kitties that lived to be 18 years old on Alley Cat dry food, supplemented with mice, moles, birds, etc of course. Mammals are resilient, but I wish I knew then what I know now. Makes me feel guilty they ate Alley Cat for 18 years.
--------------------
Old November 13th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Is there anyway you can transport the kitty out of the camp to a save shelter?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 13th, 2010, 11:01 AM

L4h I wouldn't agree to do that. We have different views on that subject.
--------------------