Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old September 8th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Meaghan Edwards

You're VERY, VERY welcome.

What we can do is to hand those URLs out (the latest Star article and the YouTube link). The more people who see the truth, the better. I think it wouldn't also hurt to send them (especially the YouTube link) to the media.

It's worrying this ticking time bomb is free. Whoop de doo, so he can't drive. He can still easily snap at any time. What if one of his wife's in a mood, a neighbourhood kid runs over his foot on a tricycle?
Old September 9th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Senior Contributor

That Youtube link didn't work for me, so I apologize if this is the same video. It's from the same user, who said this was a better edit than the first one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFISP...448&feature=iv

I also saw the blog that Bryant's "people" have to counteract any negative press about him.

To quote Shakespeare--"Methinks the lady (laddy?) doth protest too much". I really think this is going to back fire. And I REALLY hope more people get to see this video. I have a hard time seeing, but I don't think Shepard even turns around before Bryant pushes him down the street, then backs up, and runs over his bike. This guy is a DB to the nth degree, and I really think all this public relations work he's doing is going to show that.

(I really should have punched him that night)
Old September 10th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Just read a great quote where someone pointed out that if it was Bryant's pitbull that hit (bit) Shepard, Bryant would automatically be fined, and his dog seized and destroyed without so much as a court case, and it'd be up to him to prove his innocence.
Old September 10th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I have read that same type of statement too.

I don't know why this case has affected me so much. Perhaps because of the pitbull ban? Or that I am a biker and have had some very, ignorant drivers drive really close to me and blare thier horns, or pretend they don't see me and drive within inches while they are going 100km/hr., or perhaps a bit of both .

All I know, is my heart is bleeding for his family and friends .

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 10th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Senior Contributor

With me,I am angry,because this man always was to me an arrogant jerk and I am sure with his money,PR-men and Lawyers,he will get away with this and get another cushy job.
Of course his nasty BSL-law that got probably 100+ animals killed also adds to my feeling about him,I just don't like the man and I hope he goes to jail,but I doubt it
Old September 11th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Senior Contributor

I just read Jim Coyle's(pg A13 Toronto Star) view of the Bryant/Sheppard incident and it makes me fume.
He clearly paints Sheppard as a menace to society and Bryant as a passive victim,chosing not to partake in a confrontation.
Maybe his car was on automatic pilot
Old September 11th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
I just read Jim Coyle's(pg A13 Toronto Star) view of the Bryant/Sheppard incident and it makes me fume.
He clearly paints Sheppard as a menace to society and Bryant as a passive victim,chosing not to partake in a confrontation.
Maybe his car was on automatic pilot
Perhaps Jim should view the video tapes of Bryant hitting Sheppard's back tire, knocking him over, then racing around him and driving over his bike's back tire before Sheppard grabbed onto Bryant's car. How can somebody paint Bryant as the innocent victim ???

Yesterday as I was biking home through Gananoque, I was just about hit by a vehicle turning right, so I decided I should go behind the cars (as a vehicle) so I could be seen, only to have an SUV drive up to my left and both the man and woman screamed at me to get the F... off the road, that I had no right on the road . Then only to turn about 200ft infront of me to go into a strip mall.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 11th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Senior Contributor

L4H,that's terrible,but I can see it happen..we were going to get a couple of bikes this summer,we used to bike with our kids,but now the traffic is worse.
Most bikers here ride on the sidewalks,which I don't recommend,I've been jumping out of my skin a few times walking Bailey and a bike coming up behind me.
We have no bike-lanes here,except for down-town.
Old September 11th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am stunned that Jim could even write that. He wasn't there, he doesn't know what happened and it was totally biased.

http://www.thestar.com/comment/colum...article/694068

Sep 11, 2009 04:30 AM
Jim Coyle

Menace of untreated addiction haunts deadly street encounter

As time passes, it becomes clearer the urban nightmare that killed a courier and derailed the public career of a former Ontario cabinet minister had little to do with the hazards of cycling.

What the story of Darcy Allan Sheppard and Michael James Bryant seems more to be about is mental health and the menace of untreated addiction.

It's a story of the turbulence – in both the sufferer and most everyone he or she runs into – that such afflictions too often cause.

By no stretch was Darcy Sheppard a member of life's lucky sperm club. By the sounds of things, he was pretty damaged and, if fuelled by anger, he had a lot to be angry about.

I don't say anything about this issue with dispassion.

I know and like Bryant. He's precisely the sort of cocky, mischievous little SOB I loved to have on my team, the kind who wasn't much fun to play against.

I never met Sheppard. But it could just be that I know him, too. Other than the fact I'm almost 17 years from my last drink and Sheppard was reportedly way too close to his, we probably had much in common.

As a rule, the addicted are uncomfortable in the world at the best of times. Their natural state is restless, irritable and discontented. Sometimes, the chemical provides a fleeting sense of ease and comfort. As often as not, it produces rage and profoundly impairs impulse control.

It's not for nothing prisons are full of people with drug and alcohol problems who lost it for a moment. It's not for nothing Upton Sinclair called his 1956 classic on alcohol's use and abuse The Cup of Fury.

The collision course that brought Sheppard and Bryant into contact – the chance encounter that's both the appeal and menace of urban life – was not just compelling for the fact it involved an aboriginal man and a former minister of aboriginal affairs, a product of the streets and the beneficiary of life's good fortune.

What was notable – and is possibly germane to sorting out what went on in the relevant few seconds on which the criminal charges hinge – is that Sheppard's day had been marked by a long string of bad decisions, Bryant's by choices and actions that were responsible, even charming.

It's a particularly painful aspect of the encounter that it followed on the heels of an idyllic anniversary celebration by Bryant and his wife. Their evening was so romantic and so Toronto – shawarma on College St., the Boardwalk, baklava on the Danforth – that a film crew from Invest Toronto (the outfit Bryant left politics to head, and from which he has now resigned) should have shot it as an ad.

What seems apparent is that in the hours leading up to it Bryant did lots that was good and proper. So, too, in the confrontation.

He probably hasn't walked away from many fights. But that night, by all accounts, he tried to disengage. It's worth remembering that Bryant is a boxer. Whatever his impulse and inclination, he opted out of the bout. The other party didn't.

What happened in the critical seconds will be minutely parsed in court. What we already know is that no one gets to make the journey from cradle to grave without knowing a crucible.

Those who've had a multitude of blessings might think their well-being and sunny expectations are the natural order of things. Then something happens.

It's then we learn the most inescapable of truths. You get what life throws at you. And the worst of it usually comes straight out of the blue.

Jim Coyle's provincial affairs column appears Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 11th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Senior Contributor

L4H,it seems to me,Coyle think's it's ok,with Sheppard being killed,he was just a bum after all
Old September 11th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
L4H,it seems to me,Coyle think's it's ok,with Sheppard being killed,he was just a bum after all
Exactly the way I read it too.

He wasn't a "bum", he was somebody's son, sombody's dad, somebody's sibling :sad:.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 12th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Senior Contributor

As I have previously posted, I used to know Michael Bryant and am NOT a fan of his. But I do frequent other forums and the discussion has been much more balanced. I have to wonder if his name was "Smith" or substitute the name of any of the posters here - if comments would be the same. Yesterday, I almost hit 2 people on bicycles - again neither would have been my fault. Actually one incident happened in an area where the police lurk - and the police went after the guy as I slammed on the brakes. It is a good thing I was paying close attention. I grew up in a family such as Sheppard and I can tell you had I been at the wheel I would have been scared too. No need to flame me because I will never be signing on to this board again.

Many, many posters who were in when I first signed on have posted for years - the few that still do, I think understand why.
Old September 12th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Snowdancer I dont know what happened in this thread but can imagine that it is a difficult one.( I didnt read back through all the pages!) I just wanted to say that you are right sometimes the threads are not balanced in opinion but I think that is just because some people have more passion and or knowledge and others may not?

I personally wanted to say that I have appreciated yoou informative posts in the past and hope that this will not detour you from this board. Sometimes I throw my hands up in frustration only to realize later on that we all have an opinion and thats it an opinion. I just move on from there. I find that the many people here I enjoy far outway the others I dont!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old September 12th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Senior Contributor

I wasn't going to play devils advocate and was going to stay out of the whole thread, but.... I myself get frustated when driving past people with bikes on city roads. It takes an experienced biker to bike on a city street, Experically downtown toronto. The thing is that so many people think that they can just hop on a bike and bike whever they want, however they want. I have seen more bikers wobbly back and forth, weave in and out of traffic or just be all over the road...and if the biker smakes into your car, you are at fault..not the the person the bike. Also, what if it was not bryant, yet someone who the majority of people respected and had a strong animal welfare background. Would this situation still be the same. Would more wrong doing be on the bikers part?

Now,I have not read the thread about this whole situation, I am just expressing my opinions about people and bikes aloud on city roads.

ACO22
Old September 12th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Catlover2

I'm amazed at the number of comments that would have Bryant drawn, quartered and hanged before all the facts come out about the case in the trial. It may well prove that though he was hasty & used bad judgement by trying to get away from the scene, how many would do otherwise with an angry, threatening drunk hanging on their car mirror?
Old September 12th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Senior Contributor

I am sorry,probably biased against Bryant,I cannot stand the man,either in politics or anything else.
However,if you look at the video you can clearly see who is at fault.
A few questions,why did Bryant not stop and call the police right away???
After all he was at one time a boxer and what I've seen of him,clearly not a mild-mannered man.
Why when his back-wheels ran over Sheppard,did he not stop???
His car killed a man,yes,Sheppard was a Metis,probably drunk(as they say),so his death does not matter???
Old September 12th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

View the video tapes. Bryant clearly hit the back of Sheppard's bike after being at a complete stop, pushed him, backed up then ran over his back tire, then tried to speed off. It was as Bryant was trying to speed off that Sheppard grabbed onto Bryant's car trying to get him to stop.

If I accidentally hit the back of somebody's bike I would be so upset and sorry and offer to pay for any damage. Hmmmmmm, didn't see any of that going on with Bryant.

In order to see both sides, you have to be a biker and a driver. I do both and I guarantee you there are many, many times I could have been easily killed, none of which would have been my fault.

Remember, bikes have just as much right on the road as cars and can, if they wanted to, drive down the middle of the lane. I think cars frequently forget this law. To drive along the city streets is very difficult trying to doge manholes, potholes and people opening their driver side doors.

And yes, I won't deny that there are many bikers who blantantly disobey the law and if they go through a stop sign/red light and get hit, it is their fault, period!

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 12th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover2 View Post
I'm amazed at the number of comments that would have Bryant drawn, quartered and hanged before all the facts come out about the case in the trial. It may well prove that though he was hasty & used bad judgement by trying to get away from the scene, how many would do otherwise with an angry, threatening drunk hanging on their car mirror?
Ummmm how do you know Sheppard was a threatening drunk??????? It seems to me that the police officer that previously talked to him didn't think he was that drunk and was able to drive home on his bike.

What would you do if a Saab hit you and tried to run away from the scene? I would be friggin pi$$ed too.

How do you know that Sheppard didn't get upset until Bryant tried to flee? Maybe it was the fleeing that made Sheppard angry Maybe if Bryant had just done as he was legally suppose to do and stop at the scene of the accident, Sheppard would have been very nice too.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 12th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Also, to assume that all bikers are dangerous on the roads is the same as thinking all pitbulls are aggressive.

I don't dislike Bryant because of the pitbull ban, he wasn't the only person involved in the law, well I guess I do, but I don't like what he did to a biker. The only reason I brought this case up on this forum is because of the pitbull ban, otherwise I would be discussing it on a biker forum.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 12th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDancer View Post
As I have previously posted, I used to know Michael Bryant and am NOT a fan of his. But I do frequent other forums and the discussion has been much more balanced. I have to wonder if his name was "Smith" or substitute the name of any of the posters here - if comments would be the same. Yesterday, I almost hit 2 people on bicycles - again neither would have been my fault. Actually one incident happened in an area where the police lurk - and the police went after the guy as I slammed on the brakes. It is a good thing I was paying close attention. I grew up in a family such as Sheppard and I can tell you had I been at the wheel I would have been scared too. No need to flame me because I will never be signing on to this board again.

Many, many posters who were in when I first signed on have posted for years - the few that still do, I think understand why.
Okay, so you're surprised that in a BSL forum, that it isn't more balanced? Really? I find that...surprising. And no, if his name was "Smith", comments wouldn't be the same. Wouldn't even be talking about it, actually, because to the best of my knowledge, no one named Smith championed a law to have family pets killed. (I do find it ironic that someone whining about a lack of balance in the comments has only come in twice to talk about how awful people cyclists are, and insinuate it was all Shepards fault. Just saying...) But hey, if you want to leave a board, that you belonged to for 4 years, because you feel a thread that had (until your second post) 10 unique posters out of 34 thousand members was "unbalanced", then be on your smug and self-righteous way I say.

(sorry to be harsh, but this really rubs me the wrong way...and that was before SnowDancer's snide parting shot)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover2
I'm amazed at the number of comments that would have Bryant drawn, quartered and hanged before all the facts come out about the case in the trial.
Actually, most people who post in here wanted that before the incident even happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover2
It may well prove that though he was hasty & used bad judgement by trying to get away from the scene, how many would do otherwise with an angry, threatening drunk hanging on their car mirror?
I agreed with you up until I saw the video of him pushing Shepard down the street on his bike, before Shepard ever approached the car. What I would do probably would not be the same as most (or, possibly, even the smart thing). But I don't care who you are, or what a person has done to you, you do not hit somone on a 20 lb bicycle with an 1800lb car regardless of who's at fault. There were two people in the car, one could easily have called 911, he could have backed up to go around, a multitude of things. None of those involving wielding his vehicle as a weapon.

I think most people who are posting have two thoughts-1)Karma is coming to get him and 2)the way Navigator, the image consultant company Bryant hired within hours of the incident has been manipulating the media and producing all this background stuff on Shepard is sickening. IMO, bike couriers in Toronto are a scurge, a bunch of self-righteous, ignorant manaces. Most CYCLISTS would like to be rid of them. But it still comes down to that doesn't make it right that Shepard died. Well, unless you're some kind of DB, I suppose.

Here's a question for everyone glaring down from thier high horse--what if Shepard had a clean record, and a teetotalor? Would YOU be saying the same thing?

Again, this is simply a case of two people acting like idiots, and one died. It just happens that the one still alive happens to be a DB to the nth degree that many, many people would love to see get his come-uppance.

Last edited by Schwinn; September 12th, 2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old September 12th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh Schwinn, you are so well spoken.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 12th, 2009, 08:29 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

I like ACO was going to avoid this thread, and at this point i'm still not going to voice my opinion one way or the other. What i would like to say is, since no one can see 100% what happened(media will show what they want you to see) and we can't hear what was really said. We will never know for sure what really happened. I don't condemn Sheppard for whether or not he was drunk, just as a car accident has nothing to do with Bullies. Personally i don't like Bryant or drunks(no i'm not saying he was drunk).

I'm sure there are people with an opposing opinion to what is being posted, but aren't willing to state their opinion here. Hence the one sided discussion.
Old September 13th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Scwinn,like L4H says,very well said,thank you..
There was to be a blood-alcohol test done on Sheppard,did we ever hear the result??
I honestly believe had it been a "Mr Smith" driving the Saab,a hefty bail would have been set,not so for Mr Bryant.

As for someone leaving the Forum because,he/she does not agree with what is being said,it is of course his/her choice,not something I want to happen.
Old September 13th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Here is an interesting interview to read.

I really think unless people are bikers, they don't really know what bikers have to contend with on the roads.

http://www.research.utoronto.ca/behi...smart-cycling/

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 13th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I am stunned that Jim could even write that. He wasn't there, he doesn't know what happened and it was totally biased.
Love4himies, I have to say that I find the above post lack of. I mean how can you comment on something, if you were not even there yourself.

We are only seeing the video as too what happen at that time. We do not see what happened before it was caught on tape. How do we know that Bryant was not scared and possbilty fear for his life. When a stranger apporaches us on the street..we do not know how they will react. How do we know that this biker was not trying to harm and he speed off, before he could have not anything.

We were not there to see what happen before it was caught on tape.

Again, my question comes up. What if it was not Bryant, yet someone who was respected and had a strong animal welfare background. Would the wrong doing be put more on the biker?? I would seem to think so.

Again, it is sad that the outcome ended like it did....but we do not know the WHOLE story. And again, I would take the media with a grain of salt. Everyone know the media pushes what they want us to hear and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I really think unless people are bikers, they don't really know what bikers have to contend with on the roads.
I think it should be what drivers have to contend with when driving with bikes on the road. Sorry, but I have to disagree with you. When I was on the road, working, you would not believe the crap that drivers have to put up with bikers. bikers think they own the road...in my opinion anyway. I think it is absurd that whoever long ago, made it ok for bikes to bike on a road. I also think it is absured that if a biker ends up smacking into a car, due to their own fault, it is the cars fault. How is that?

ACO22

Last edited by NoahGrey; September 13th, 2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old September 13th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Senior Contributor

ACO,yes,the media pushes what they think we should read,in this instance,the media focuses on making Bryant the innocent victim.
Sheppard cannot defend himself,he's dead,but the video speaks louder than words.
You are right,I don't like Bryant and never have,not only because BSL,he always was an arrogant bully,whether he was our A-G,or in the ministry for Indian affairs,which did not last long,by the way
We'll just all have to wait to see what comes out in court.
Old September 13th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO22 View Post
Love4himies, I have to say that I find the above post lack of. I mean how can you comment on something, if you were not even there yourself.

We are only seeing the video as too what happen at that time. We do not see what happened before it was caught on tape. How do we know that Bryant was not scared and possbilty fear for his life. When a stranger apporaches us on the street..we do not know how they will react. How do we know that this biker was not trying to harm and he speed off, before he could have not anything.

We were not there to see what happen before it was caught on tape.

Again, my question comes up. What if it was not Bryant, yet someone who was respected and had a strong animal welfare background. Would the wrong doing be put more on the biker?? I would seem to think so.

Again, it is sad that the outcome ended like it did....but we do not know the WHOLE story. And again, I would take the media with a grain of salt. Everyone know the media pushes what they want us to hear and see.

I think it should be what drivers have to contend with when driving with bikes on the road. Sorry, but I have to disagree with you. When I was on the road, working, you would not believe the crap that drivers have to put up with bikers. bikers think they own the road...in my opinion anyway. I think it is absurd that whoever long ago, made it ok for bikes to bike on a road. I also think it is absured that if a biker ends up smacking into a car, due to their own fault, it is the cars fault. How is that?

ACO22
Did you watch the video????

It doesn't matter what happened before hand (if anything did happen,which we don't know), Bryant still went from a full stop to hitting the back of Sheppard's bike, knocking Sheppard over, then back up try to take off, riding over Sheppard's back tire. If Bryant wanted to avoid Sheppard prior to this incident because he "feared for his life", he could have easily done so. He didn't have to stop behind Sheppard with his top down and hit him with his car. That is not somebody who wanted to "avoid" an aggressive person because he "feared for his live" , that is somebody who wanted to bully somebody who was more vulnerable, in this case, Sheppard.

And I am 47 years old, I have many years experience driving in a city, many more years than you, I am sure. I am a person who realizes that a car can be a deadly weapon and drive mine understanding this. I respect all life on the road, whether it be a tiny chipmunk or a human.

And by the way, bikes can legally drive down the middle of the lane and cars can then pass the bike on the left when safe to do so . And you wouldn't believe the crap we bikers have to put up with from cars, and in our case it can be life and death, in the car's case, it is a scratch or dent on a material thing. Not comparable.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 13th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

You asked if I would feel differently if it wasn't Bryant, NO I would not.

There were 5 bikers hit by a van (hit and run), one of the bikers is still in a coma in Ottawa, I am very, very upset by this too. I only brought this up because it was Bryant, who implemented the BSL.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 13th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Senior Contributor

L4H,I am glad we have you and Schwinn speaking for Mr Sheppard,my English and spelling goes out the window when I get emotional,the two of you make so much more sense than me.
Old September 13th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thank you chico, you don't know how much it means to me that you are sticking up for Sheppard too. That poor man is dead and has nobody to speak on his behalf. I feel so bad, it brings me to tears. There are four children without a father.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)