Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 28th, 2012, 11:29 AM

Ehrlichiosis--Poor Pup!!!

Hello from Managua Nicaragua (I am a Canuck though) We are fostering approx 1 yr old female dog. We also have 1 dog and 2 cats of our own. Idea is to foster this 1 dog and if all goes well, keep her!! A bit of info on her:

She had some kind of infection going on inside her when we first got her, so she was on Clavamox for 10 day. Yesterday I noticed white flat like worms (just a few) in her stool, so it was back to the vet today. Vet said she just does not look right, so lets redo the blood work!! The RBC and platelets 2 weeks ago were on the very low side of normal---but today they were very low (can't recall the #'s) So he redid the tick test(was negative 2.5 weeks ago) but today it was just barely positive!! He said that the disease can take 1-3 weeks to show up--which it now just had!!

So now she is on 3 weeks of doxycyline.

From my readings, it is passed via blood. So there is some risk to my other dog and 2 cats. As well they say since we caught this early, her chances are good for fighting it, BUT she may be a lifetime carrier of it.

I guess our biggest concern is she infecting our dog and 2 cats!! If anyone has any info that would be super. Our vet here in Nicaragua is very good, but they don't have all the latest high tech or info that other vets form N. America may have.

I guess my biggest concern is the safety of my 1 dog and 2 cats. Is there any way this foster dog could pass it on to them?? The two dogs do play together. Many Thanks