Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Closed Thread

Old June 16th, 2006, 01:02 AM

Unhappy Maui is missing

Hi!
My husband made the mistake of letting our very pregnant cat, Maui, outside. She likely has found a nest and had her kittens, as she was only a day or 2 away from giving birth. Well, that was 2 days ago. I haven't been able to find her, she has hidden well. My worry is that she has no food out there. We live out in the country, and she is accustomed to being outside and taking care of herself for up to 5 or 6 hours at a time. But she's never been outside all night, let alone 2 days. Does anyone know how long it might take her to come home after having kittens? :sad: Then when she comes home, we'll have to feed her and let her back out and follow her to the kittens, then bring them all inside.

Oh, I hope she comes home soon! I'm so worried about her. We have to move in 2 days, I just pray she comes home and we can find the kittens before we have to move.

Krysta
Old June 16th, 2006, 01:09 AM
Performance Spaniels

Please have her spayed when she's done nursing. There are enough cats in this world without homes, and if you let your girl outside daily she'll be pregnant again in no time flat. While weaning she may already go right back into heat.
Old June 16th, 2006, 02:00 AM

Yes

Yes, I know she needs to be spayed. In fact, it was just one week before her appointment to get spayed when we found out she was pregnant. I know there are irresponsible pet owners out there, but I'm not one of them and I don't appreciate that assumption. Any thoughts on when she might come looking for food?
Krysta

Last edited by Krysta; June 16th, 2006 at 02:02 AM.
Old June 16th, 2006, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krysta
I just pray she comes home and we can find the kittens before we have to move.

Krysta
Please tell me you're not one of those responsible cat owner who lives in Cotes des Neiges?
Old June 16th, 2006, 02:29 AM

what is that?

I don't even know what "Cotes des Neiges" is!? I live in Alberta, Canada.
Could someone helpful please post? If you don't have something helpful to say, please don't bother. I can't sleep I'm so worried about my kitty.
Krysta
Old June 16th, 2006, 02:36 AM

There's a lost and found section on this msg board. Try posting your whereabout there with a picture of your kitty. There's a good chance that members from your region will keep an eye out for her.
Old June 16th, 2006, 02:41 AM

Thank-you! I will go do that right now.
Old June 16th, 2006, 02:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Have you tried Cats in the Bag (forget the url offhand but if you google it, it shuold come it). Same for Pet Detective - I think her name is Melanie. There are various sites that help you find cats (and other pets) depending on whether they are indoors or outside cats. Most never go too far from home and esp where she is pregnant (unless she goes into heat again quickly - which can happen!), she may not stray too far. Make a grid and cover the neighbourhood, Put posters EVEYWHERE, call every vet, every shelter.

http://www.pet-detective.com/
http://www.catsinthebag.org/

Last edited by CyberKitten; June 16th, 2006 at 02:56 AM.
Old June 16th, 2006, 07:10 AM
Senior Contributor

I am not going to write to you about spaying,the damage is already done:sad:
I have no idea when she would come home looking for food unfortunately,but I would look in every shed,every nook and cranny,she's probably not very far away from her home.She's a beautiful kitty:sad:
She would be looking for a safe place,hidden,to have her babies,unless she's too young to take care of them.
I could not imagine moving and leaving a cat and kittens behind,so please do not leave before you find her,it would be a death-sentence for her and her kittens:sad:
Also,please let us know if she returns home.
Old June 16th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Leave food outside at night, something strong smelling like fish, somewhere where other critters are not likely to find it. If she is not a hunter, she will be sooo hungry. Also leave her bed or a comfortable box with one of your old T-shirts (because it smells like you) nearby, to tempt her home.

I would go out after dark and listen carefully, she may be very close.

Unless you want to lose her altogether, someone will have to stay in the house until she reappears. If she comes back and you're not there, she will eventually give up.

I really hope this works out. If there are intact males around, yes, she can get pregnant again almost immediately.
Old June 16th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Senior Contributor

IF your cat is still alive, and IF she somehow manages to care for a litter of kittens somewhere, she would most likely bring them home when they can follow her, in about 7 weeks.

She MAY carry them home one at a time a few days after giving birth, if she is able. There is no way to know. I truly hope she does this, for her sake.

You need to get out late at night when all is quiet, take a box of her food or treats, and start calling and shaking the box. Go into all alleyways, search under decks and anywhere else she may have hidden herself. She will be ravenously hungry and may come out of her hiding place. If you don't find her before you move, you'll need to keep going back until you do find her.

Quote:
I know there are irresponsible pet owners out there, but I'm not one of them
What makes you responsible? You dont' bother spaying your cat (Irresponsible) let her out to get pregnant (grossly irresponsible) and let her out when she is near to delivering and you know you're moving (grossly irresponsible).

I hope you find your cat for her sake, but please don't call yourself a responsible owner when you are the opposite of that.
Old June 16th, 2006, 10:20 AM

Never coming back

Thank-you so much for your insensitive comments.
You don't know me or my situation.

To all those with great advice, thank-you so much, I will do that.

But to those who feel it necessary to attack me, I will remind you again that we found out she was pregnant just before her appointment to get spayed, and since I believe abortion is wrong, we didn't go ahead with it.
We are not sure how old she is exactly, I rescued her from a parking lot.
And her being let outside was a mistake my husband made.
So I won't be coming back to this web site.
You've just lost a member.

Krysta
Old June 16th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Aborting kittens is sad, but here are the ones who weren't aborted. Is this a better fate? You just added 3 - 6 more to this cage.

G'bye! No point staying, since you refuse to take ANY responsibility for the mess you created.
Attached Images

Old June 16th, 2006, 11:34 AM

How sad :sad:
The expression "you catch more flies with honey than with vinigar" comes to mind.

Encourage people to do the right thing. People don't listen when you yell at them or make them feel stupid. This site is meant to help. People are not perfect, we make mistakes.
Old June 16th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Of course we all make mistakes. But how do you help people who refuse to acknowledge that anything is their fault or that they are responsible in any way??

Quote:
I know there are irresponsible pet owners out there, but I'm not one of them and I don't appreciate that assumption.
Old June 16th, 2006, 12:01 PM

I have no wish to get into an arguement.

I am not saying that krysta is right or wrong, responsible or irresponsible. all I am saying is that people respond better to " you should try this... " or "can you do this..." than "You are wrong to..." or " you are a bad person for..."

You may not care that krysta is coming back or not, but think of any animals that will not get help because other people are afraid to post questions for fear of being told off.
Old June 16th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Performance Spaniels

The OP made a bad choice. People educated. I saw nothing rude except for the OP herself who obviously didn't care, and wants to tote how responsible she is when letting an unspayed cat loose outside is just the opposite.
Old June 17th, 2006, 01:53 AM

Insults and accusations are not an appropriate means of educating the OP.
Thread closed.

Krysta, please feel free to post again if you have any news.
Closed Thread