Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old December 1st, 2012, 01:18 AM

My Cat Is Acting Weird

Hello. I need assistance with how my cat is acting.

Around 2 months ago, one of our neighbours moved out. They had a cat which everynight came over to our place and hassled our cat through the window. When they moved out, our cat started to get really cuddly. He would come over almost every 10 minutes for a cuddle or pet or scratches.

A few weeks ago, my mother and I went out for a night. We left on a saturday morning, returned on a sunday evening. During this time, our cat was home alone which normally doesnt bother him. But also during this time, there was a large storm. Now he constantly meows when one of us walks out the door to hang up laundry, go check the mail, go to shop or what ever. He even meows when we are around.

Please help someone
Old December 1st, 2012, 11:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Welcome, I am not particularly cat savvy but I am sure someone will come along soon. I would love to see some pictures of your fur-kid!
Old December 1st, 2012, 05:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the board. Weekends are always slow on the board, so don't get offended if it takes a while to get an answer. I also don't have cats currently, but it may just take a while for your kitty to relax again and get back to his old self. Sounds like the experience may have just stressed him out.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 07:53 AM

your proberlly right about the stress, but it has been 2 weeks now so i dont think its that
Old December 2nd, 2012, 12:12 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

A few questions for you -
How old is your cat?
Is he fixed? If not he could be smelling females and wanting out. Solution is to get him fixed asap.
When was the last time he was at a vet? He could be trying to tell you he isn't feeling well and the other cat moving out at/around the same time could have just been coincidental.
Have you changed anything in your home? Moved furniture around? Moved and/or changed his litter/litterbox? One of you get a new job where you are gone more? A break up or a new relationship? Some cats just have a hard time accepting change.
Have you ever considered getting him a companion? He could just be lonely now that his "playmate" isn't there to play with him every night. I know it was through a window but still.. If you do decide to get a new kitty for company please ensure the introductions are done properly. That is the best way for a long, happy life between them. Here is a good, informative site to help with that....
http://www.messybeast.com/first-impressions.htm
How long do you spend playing with him? I mean actively playing. Not just petting him a bit and walking away. There's an old saying with dogs - a tired dog is a happy dog. Same with cats. They need stimulation too. Now that he doesn't have his fun every night he could be bored. Invest in a couple of wand type toys, drag a string around behind you for him to chase, make some tinfoil balls to throw for him, keep him involved in play and you may find his new behaviour stops.
This could also be something entirely out of the blue and he will stop doing it when he is tired of it.
Cats are wonderful creatures. Isn't that why we love them so much?

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 2nd, 2012, 01:32 PM

Cats have a great memory. He probably does not want to be left alone for that long again. He may be lonely. I would suggest that if you do ever leave like that again you have someone come and check on him. Even if it is only to pet him for 10 minutes or so atleast he will not be alone.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 04:36 PM

At 14+kittens.

Our cat is about 2 and a half years old and yes he is fixed. We do move things about the house on a regular basis but that doesn't phase him one bit. He is an indoor cat cause we live on next to a busy road. The litterbox is cleaned weekly, none of us have a job.

My mum hasn't been in a relationship for about 10 years. I don't have a girlfriend. We have thought about getting him a friend, but where we currently live we are only allowed one animal. Not to mention he can be rather violent (and by this i mean attacking your ankles when least expecting it).

As for playing with him, we rarely play with him because most of the time he is sleeping. My brother used to play with him quite a bit, but he moved out in April.

Also, when we do leave him alone for a day or two he is normal

Last edited by Churchakiin; December 3rd, 2012 at 07:02 AM. Reason: forgot to add this note
Old December 4th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Kitty pimp

he probably needs some play time Pick a time you can stick to and engage him

leave a radio on very low when you both go out