Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 5th, 2011, 04:13 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Epi-pens for canines

Does anyone have an epi-pen for their dog and is it difficult to use?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 5th, 2011, 04:25 PM
-

I didn't know they made them for dogs !

Is it for one of yours Hazel ?
Old March 5th, 2011, 04:47 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

*sigh* Yes.

I know they make such a thing and I think we can order them, I just wanted to get an idea of how difficult they might be to use... hazel doesn't usually do too well with needly things, though she's been known to learn...

Anyone ever use one?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 5th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Half Way To Crazy

which one Hazel?? and why??

two people had them and the ones I have seen use it, it's like a pen, stab and click. don't know if they make the same ones for dogs though sorry
Old March 5th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Senior Contributor

these are not hard to use. you put the pen on the skin and push the button on top. it is fast...

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old March 5th, 2011, 07:29 PM
owned by Tucker

I was wondering this also as my friends dog had a really bad reaction to a bee sting this summer (a very scary episode) but her vet never said anything. I told her to travel with benedryl as they vacation in Texas over the winter... I think the epipen would be easier to give than trying to get a liquid down the dogs throat then they are in such distress.
Old March 5th, 2011, 08:32 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Just talked to the vet again--Ember reacted to his Lyme's vaccine about 12:30...Cass just started now. She's throwing up her meds and is puffed beyond belief. Please pray...

Old March 5th, 2011, 08:38 PM
chronically insane.

Sorry to hear about your dogs Epipens are easy to use, I have one but have never had to use it. It looks scary but you just pop the top off and stab as hard as you can into the thigh muscle.

They are Rx only where I am, but it may be different where you are

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old March 5th, 2011, 09:11 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

She's on her way to the vet. Pray, please...we're 45 miles (~70 km) from there, it's dark, the gravel roads are icy and you have to go slow because of the deer...

Old March 5th, 2011, 09:31 PM

hope everything turns out well. my thoughts are with you
Old March 5th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Doesn't seem enough to say good luck, prayers are on the way. Hang in there Ember and Cass.
Old March 5th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

lots of paws rooting for you MF! and many prayers....stay strong!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 5th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Live well, laugh often

Oh no Hazel .

Praying for both Cass and Ember as well as for you and hubby .

Please keep us posted .
Old March 5th, 2011, 10:44 PM

i hope Ember and cass are okay, hazel !

lots of prayers and

i hope you get to the vet soon!!
Old March 5th, 2011, 11:03 PM
-

I hope both Cass and Ember will be okay.
Old March 5th, 2011, 11:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Whew! Okay....they're on the way home. for the prayers and good vibes!

Only Cass was so dire tonight. Ember reacted just after he got home this afternoon and I recognized it as allergy when his ears got itchy and hot. By the time his face swelled I'd already gotten 75 mg of Benadryl into him and when the hives started, we added the prednisolone. So we caught him early and he's doing much better.

Cass just suddenly puffed up about 8 hours after her vaccine! I've never seen anything quite that quick...her poor face! She couldn't keep down the meds. We finally let her totally empty her tummy, then pushed the pills again and kept her quiet for 30 minutes before letting her drink any water. Thought she was getting better then but started having trouble swallowing again, which is when they headed for the clinic.

Cole, also vaccinated today, is doing just fine (as is Ember at this point) but just to be on the safe side, I dosed Cole with Benadryl after Cass and hubby headed out... Better safe than sorry...and don't these sorts of things always happen in threes?

again!

Old March 5th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Live well, laugh often

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so relieved that everyone is gonna be okay .

Please give some extra special cuddles and cookies from me please .
Old March 5th, 2011, 11:55 PM
-

Glad to hear the fuzzbutts are okay.
Old March 6th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Senior Contributor

hazel...I'm sorry to hear about Ember and Cass, but am glad they are better now.

Have they ever reacted to the vaccine before?

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old March 6th, 2011, 01:59 AM

Glad to hear they are okay!

You can also get injectable benadryl which works much faster than the oral, and of course you don't have to worry about them getting it down! You can get benadryl injectable from the pharmacy without a script, just talk to your vet about how to administer it and to get syringes and needles.

With the epipen, you have to hold the pen in place for about 10seconds or so AFTER deploying it, so this may not be the best thing to do for a scared sick animal. If you are comfortable with giving injections (as with learning to do the benadryl from your vet), you can get vials of epineprhine, and syringes and needles. It is MUCH MUCH cheaper, and it is a regular IM (intramuscular) injection like Benadryl. You have to be very careful with epinephrine that you don't inject it into an area such as hand, paw, etc. Anyway, this might be an option for you to look into.
Old March 6th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm so happy everything worked out for you and your babies, Hazel.

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge
Old March 6th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Im so glad they are ok, Whisper/sklar that we rescued (starved dog) that Stacer from here adopted also had a reaction, we were told by the ER vet to give aspirin every 2 hours, man I was so scared and we stayed up all night with her.
Old March 6th, 2011, 09:30 AM
owned by Tucker

glad to hear they will both be fine, guess they won't be getting that shot again
Old March 6th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

OMG Hazel, I just saw this post Thank goodness everything turned out well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
Im so glad they are ok, Whisper/sklar that we rescued (starved dog) that Stacer from here adopted also had a reaction, we were told by the ER vet to give aspirin every 2 hours, man I was so scared and we stayed up all night with her.
I remember when you found her, or should I say she found you knowing she would be in good hands

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey

Last edited by Love4himies; March 6th, 2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old March 6th, 2011, 09:45 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I am very relieved your dogs are going to be ok hazel.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 6th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Reactions like that bring back an embarrassing incident, Hazel. I once dragged my vet from his sleep for an allergy a cattle dog had - hives again, plus she was looking quite off - and by the time we did the 30 mile with her, arriving at midnight, there wasn't a sign of them. Oh dear! Anyway, I told him the two things she'd been in contact with that day for the first time was Dettol(disinfectant) and Pea Beau(sp?) fly spray, so he then wanted me to spray some in her kennel at different times and see what happened. Ha! Not likely! I just never used them near her again. Funnily enough, we think her granddaughter was allergic to Dettol . Our stallion got hives badly one time too, from hay that was grown just a mile away. I had to crush up 20 tablets I had here for a dog for him, and repeat that a couple of times until he'd eliminated whatever caused it.
Gee, Cass was bad. You will have to watch her in future. Thank heaven we don't have to give that vaccination here.
Old March 6th, 2011, 11:39 AM
-

omg I just saw that they had to be taken to the emergency ! those darn vaccines

soooo glad they're back and doing better ! How's everything this morning ?
Old March 6th, 2011, 11:50 AM

so glad to hear they are both doing good! have they never had this vaccine before? or was this just the first time they reacted?
Old March 6th, 2011, 02:15 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Ember is hungry and almost back to normal today (just a little pendulous about the jowls)--poor Cass, though, still looks like a tri-colored marshmallow. However, both she and Ember have kept their food down today, a big improvement over last night. Benadryl tends to make our dogs sort of hyper, though, so between that and the steroids, it was a restless night...

Turns out the clinic just changed vaccine manufacturers. The old one had a much smaller incidence of reaction so we're going to go back to it for the rest of the dogs.

Unfortunately, doggy lover, it's not one we can skip totally. It's not uncommon to have to comb out/pick off over 100 ticks per outing in peak tick season here. Too much exposure to just drop the Lyme's protection. We will, however, be premedicating with at least Benadryl before the vaccination from now on and with luck, going back to the recombinant Merial vaccine will help prevent any future adverse reactions, too.

reanne, both Benadryl and epinephrine injections would be intramuscular? I can handle that if I can get our vet to agree. I'd probably pass out if I needed to find a vein, though. I'll be talking to the clinic again on Tuesday, so I'll make sure to ask about it.

Melinda--aspirin?! I've never heard of that! I'll ask them about that, too. That would be easy enough to do!

Teri, consider the cuddles passed around and as soon as we're sure they're keeping solids down, we'll for sure pass around the cookies!

Cass and Ember thank everyone for their concern!

Old March 6th, 2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
reanne, both Benadryl and epinephrine injections would be intramuscular? I can handle that if I can get our vet to agree. I'd probably pass out if I needed to find a vein, though. I'll be talking to the clinic again on Tuesday, so I'll make sure to ask about it.
Yes, they are both IM! Occasionally at the hospital a doctor will order benadryl or gravol (very similar) SC (subcutaneously) which is even easier (especially in a dog) but I would check about SC benadryl with your vet before doing it. Not sure in dogs if that is ok for their tissues.