Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 29th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Senior Contributor

My brother's JRT-possible rehoming situation

Hey All!

Long time no post. Life has been blissfully hectic for the last 6 months or so (we've got a baby on the way!!), Pets.ca has definitely fallen off my radar unfortunately.

I am posting with a purpose though. My brother has a JRT that I feel needs to be rehomed.

Here's a little history on her. And I hope someone can give me some direction/suggestions for what might ultimately be a better situation for this dog.

Belle is a BYB pooch that my brother and his former GF got together. She claimed to know all there was to know about training JRTs, but really knew nothing. My brother had never had a dog before and was left to train this crazy little puppy all by himself. He tried his best, but really had no idea what he was doing and couldn't afford to go to classes with her.

She lacks basic social skills and cannot be around other dogs (she has bitten dogs in the past). We tried with Skylar (ya'll remember her right?)to get Belle used to other dogs, but came to the conclusion that we couldn't risk Skylar's safety (despite being 75lbs to Belle's 10 lbs).

She's not even really that good with human visitors to the house (never bitten a human as far as I know).

Presently, my brother and his current partner have a 1 yr old son and a very small, old chihuahua mix. Belle has attacked the little dog on many occasions and they keep the 2 dogs separated (which is very taxing mentally for them). They are concerned about their son's safety now that he's on the move, walking and getting into things.

This isn't a case of now we have a baby we can't have pets. My brother does not want to give up on Belle, but she seems so unstable and he's scared of what she's capable of. For him, re-homing hasn't been an option. His partner is totally fed up with Belle's behaviour, having to juggle the dogs in the house, separate walks and feedings and the attacks when the dogs do manage to get in the same room.

BTW, my brother does continue to work with Belle, but without being able to properly socialize her, I fear she will not get better.

I need some guidance. I want to help them find the right solution for Belle. I don't feel that she's getting all that she needs to be a good dog in her current situation.

All suggestions welcomed.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old December 29th, 2010, 10:55 AM
-

Hi Stacer, happy to hear that things are blissful for you and congrats on your bundle of joy that is on the way.

We now have a JRT, he has been with us over a year now and for the most part he doesn't get himself into trouble with the other guys.....although he does have a few scars as a result of his tenacity.

When Jack first came to live with us, he was agressive towards both the cats and dogs...all of the dogs were larger than him and put him in his place, hence the scars (just minor scars)....we put it down to fear agression, although that wouldn't appear to be the case with the Chi that your brother has.

Your brother could contact JRT Rescue and explain the situation to them, maybe they have available fosters. Before Jack came to us it was pre-arranged with the rescue that they would take him if it didn't work out with us. The situation was different entirely, Jack was in a shelter and we adopted him as he was getting overlooked.

BenMax was an enormous help in acquiring a place with the rescue, she maybe able to help you/your brother out.....From what I understand she is awol this week, but if you send her a message I'm pretty sure she will get back to you.

There is also a rescue in Barrie called Just in timethey are quite small but I understand that they are willing to work with dogs and have a good adoption rate.....http://www.adoptapet.com/adoption_rescue/75796.html

I hope a solution can be found, they are great little guys in the right environment, but imo require a lot of patience. With a 1 year old and a senior dog I can understand your brother's partner feeling at her wits end.

Last edited by Chris21711; December 29th, 2010 at 11:17 AM. Reason: typos typos typos
Old December 29th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Chris.

I did suggest several months ago that they contact a JRT rescue, but based on what my brother's partner read on the website concerning aggression and history of biting other dogs, she feared they wouldn't take her. And that's where she left it.

Just today Belle attacked the chi again, which is what prompted me to come ask for suggestions.

I will suggest that they call the rescue, at the very least if the rescue won't take her, they'll be able to give them some viable guidance.

It's so hard to know the right thing to do.

Old December 29th, 2010, 12:46 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Hey Stacer!! LTNS Great news on the baby!
Excellent advise from Chris. I can't add more. 'Cept we miss you here so stick around. Please.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 29th, 2010, 07:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Hi, Stacer! Congrats on the baby!! No advice for you on the JRT except to wish you luck but I wanted to say hi!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 29th, 2010, 07:26 PM
-

Hey there, Stacer .....congratulations to you and your hubby.

The ol' girl gave you excellent information and I hope all works out well for the little JRT.
Old December 29th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the congrats ladies.

I think I'll have a chat with my brother to make sure this is what he wants to do (at this point I'm looking into options without his knowledge), then I'll help him contact a rescue to determine if she's a candidate for re-homing.

I'm afraid that my brother's lady will drop Belle off at the local shelter one day and wash her hands of the pooch.

Old December 30th, 2010, 11:24 AM
-

Stacer rescues as a rule will work with dog agression, resource guarding etc.,

Hopefully your brother's partner will not drop the dog off at a shelter without doing a bit of research. It is not uncommon for shelters to adopt out an animal stating that they go to a home with no other dogs/cats.