Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 21st, 2011, 08:18 PM

New warts on schnauzer mix-could they be something else?

Hi everyone~

I have a 6 year old schnauzer mix named Susie. She's adorably precious, but does have her share of health issues. She has chronic ear infections as well as environmental allergies. She also is a chronic biter-she'll bite her paws and legs, mostly, which the vet attributes to her allergies. She had an ear polyp that was surgically removed in October-the biospy report said it was a benign sebaceous hyperplasia.

Susie was recently started on nizioral, an anti-fungal medication. The vet feels that she suffers from an increase in yeast production, as her ear infections are primarily yeast-based, but also bacterial in nature as well. Taking benadryl w/ the nizioral does seem to help decrease her biting, and her ears are getting a bit better.

I'm not sure if it has anything to do w/ starting the nizioral, but I've noticed an increase in the number of warts on Susie's head and body for about 4 weeks. She's had warts before, but these seem a bit different. At the advise of the vet, I tried to pop one of the new warts, one that is on Susie's head near her ear (different ear than the one w/ the polyp). Instead of pus or clear fluid, blood came out. It wasn't a profuse amount, but enough. We have an appt w/ the vet this weekend for her to examine them.

The first picture is of a wart she's had for a while. It drains clear fluid. The second picture is of one of the new warts that drained blood last night. It's very tiny, but seems to irritate Susie when I try to mess w/ it.

I guess my question is: do you think the newer wart is different than the other? Has anyone seen a wart like that, and if so, was it just simply a wart or something else? Again, like I said, we're going to the vet this weekend, but I just wanted to get a feel if this is something I should be worried about.

Thanks!
Attached Images