Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 31st, 2014, 07:49 PM

Wet canned food for kittens?

Hi all! So great to be back with healthy kittens and not a life or death question here this time.

I've been doing a lot of research and every cat wet food I find seems to have something not so great about it? I was feeding my kittens Tiki Cat which they LOVE and since they are kittens, I'm feeding them a few times a day. But then I have been reading that I shouldn't be giving them so much salmon and tuna. So then I went searching and found so many 'healthy' canned foods have things like carrageenan in it or too many vegetables/fruits.

My cat owning friends all recommened Tiki Cat and BFF but all I can find in both brands are fish which is what they use everyday.

So far my tops are Weruva and Nature's Variety Instinct but would really love everyone else's opinions and what they use!

PS: I lost my last kitten to FIP so I am now an OVERLY paranoid mommy to my new kitties. Forgive me!!!
Old August 31st, 2014, 08:09 PM

Here's a pic of the babies!!
Attached Images

Old September 1st, 2014, 09:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Ack! Cuteness overload! What a couple of darlings you have.

I agree that it's best if you can stay away from too much fish in their diet. I'm also a big fan of feeding lots of variety (in brands and flavours). Some other options to check out, if you haven't already, are Nature's Variety Pride, ZiwiPeak, Murr, Stella & Chewy's freeze-dried raw, Organix, and Wellness Signature Selects.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 1st, 2014, 11:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh my, so cute. The top kitten looks so much like our little Derri, right down to the black nose. And our Lucy has a pink nose like your second kitten. Our girls are 5 months old today.

Just wanted to say I believe as well that there is an advantage to feeding a variety of foods when kittens are young. I think it helps avoid them being finicky in later life if they are exposed early to different flavours and textures. Mine will share a can of people tuna or salmon, cooked turkey, a bit of the dog's raw and a couple of kibbles. A cooked egg now and then too. I like them to eat kibble so I can leave them for a long day or a short weekend and put food down for them. These split between five cats and one dog. That said, I notice a marked difference in mine. Lucy will eat anything I put down. Derri is much more discriminating in her appetites. Oh well, I try anyway.
Old September 1st, 2014, 09:36 PM

What a couple of cuties
Old September 2nd, 2014, 01:33 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

What a cute pair!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 11th, 2014, 03:50 PM

Those two are adorable!

I second the suggestion of rotating through two or three different brands. We were feeding our three almost exclusively on Wellness. Then the price started going up. And up. We started looking for other decent foods at good prices (and available in the big cans because you save a bit that way). The problem is, our cats refuse to eat much of anything but Wellness. If we had started rotating brands earlier, this might not have been a problem.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-