Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old July 3rd, 2008, 02:03 PM

Wellness canned - manufactured by Menu foods??!!

I just read that Wellness canned is manufactured by Menu foods. Is that true? If so, what are your thoughts on this? I must admit this make me feel slightly uncomfortable. I know quite a few of us here feed this to our cats, so I hope to hear from you on this one.

Thanks!

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old July 3rd, 2008, 02:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Yup, canned Wellness is indeed made at Menu Foods, but at a different plant than the 2 that were involved in the recall. As well, my understanding is that Wellness provides the ingredients and Menu Foods merely processes them, whereas the ingredients in the recalled foods were provided by Menu. Different companies have different arrangements.

My take on the issue is that unless you're willing to make your own food, you're always going to be at the pet food company's mercy (that goes for human food too). Wellness did not have any recalled product, they handled themselves professionally during the recall, and they make a quality food. That's good enough for me, for now at least. There just aren't enough other equally good canned foods to be able to pick and choose. None are perfect. I believe Natura (Innova Evo, California Naturals etc) and Nature's Variety are also made by Menu Foods. Merrick and Evanger's are not (although Evanger's have had their own canning problems).

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 3rd, 2008, 02:50 PM

Just finished browsing through the Pet Food List. Looks like most of the companies i like get their wet foods manufactured by Menu, including Petcurian and Natura Pet.

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old July 3rd, 2008, 02:52 PM
-

Yes, Menu Foods done make some of their canned food and this is what they have to say about it...

Quote:
Old Mother Hubbard (verified by company 3/26/07, updated 4/24/07)

*Menu does make some of our canned cat and canned dog foods. They make OUR recipes according to OUR quality standards.
*We have procedures in place to clean between each run of food that is produced. We also inspect the plant regularly to audit their procedures. We require our facilities to pass an audit by Cook & Thurber, a HUMAN FOOD auditing firm."
*Other manufacturers are used besides Menu Foods.
*Products do not contain wheat gluten, corn or soy, artificial preservatives, flavors or colors.
*We do not source rice protein concentrate from Binzhou Futian Biological Technology, the manufacturer of the contaminated rice protein concentrate. (from website 4/24/07)
*We do not purchase rice protein concentrate from Wilbur-Ellis. (from website 4/24/07)
*We have visited the plants where we source our rice protein concentrate, and they have consistently met our stringent standards. (from website 4/24/07)
The above information is from http://www.thepetfoodlist.com/petfoods_pg2.htm
Old July 3rd, 2008, 06:00 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
My take on the issue is that unless you're willing to make your own food, you're always going to be at the pet food company's mercy
Unfortunately, I think you are completely right And I agree with you that right now I trust Wellness more than most brands and am sticking with it for now, but as seems apparent from the news about Canidae, a good thing doesn't necessarily last.

rainbow - I hadn't seen thepetfoodlist.com before today. What a great site! I'm glad you shared it.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl

Last edited by Chaser; July 3rd, 2008 at 06:01 PM. Reason: spellcheck