Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 9th, 2004, 09:59 AM
<-----nut ball

waiting till the new year.

I just wanted to let you all know I have decided to put my dog search on hold until the new year.

I figured it would be easier then, as with all the stress surrounding Christmas, it would be better for us and the dog.

Besides, I am getting the impression there may be an "explosion" of dogs in shelters after Christmas due to unwanted Christmas pets.

Aside from that I also may have to get toe surgery some time soon (before I get a dog) which I will have to use my "dog fund" for because my health insurance doesn't cover it (costs $500!!). That means I need some time to save up for the initial dog investment again! I wish my sister would pay for the surgery, as she was the one who closed the door on my foot that resulted in ruining the toe nail (I have to get part of my nail removed permanently...not looking forward to it).

In the meantime I will still post here and ask tons of question so when I find the right guy, I will be ready!

Thanks for all your help so far everyone!
Old November 9th, 2004, 10:06 AM

Your location is posted as Ontario. Why doesn't OHIP pay?
Old November 9th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Good things come to those who wait. We will still be here and willing to help and you are right about the christmas thing. I wish people would not buy pets for presents unless it is what was specifically requested not a fly by night idea, ohh I want a puppy. I know there is breeders who will not sell a puppy as a christmas present this in my opinion is the only responsible thing to do. But Rachel this could work to your advantage.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 9th, 2004, 10:08 AM

Rachael

Hi Rachael,
(so sorry if I got your name wrong!!!)
I was just going to email you some pics of some dogs in Brampton, and surrounding area. I can't wait to hear about your new dog when you finally get one!! You really deserve a great dog. When you start looking again keep us informed.
Have you thought about maybe a Pit or PitX? When you do decide?
Anyway, hope the toe feels better (My mom had toe nail surgury after she dropped a can of apple juice on her big toe!!). What about asking your sister to pay half, or ask her to use her car more often as a balance?
Take care and good luck!!
Old November 9th, 2004, 10:33 AM
<-----nut ball

Thanks everyone.

It's not a "required surgery" therefore not covered by OHIP. (Because my sister ruined my nail, it grew back funny and I have a constant ingrown toenail, and because I limp sometimes, it is causing me back and hip pain. The only way to cure it is to remove the damage part of the nail!).

THe sister who did this is my youngest sister (I have three) and she's only 19, and doesn't have a job so she can't pay for it.

I considered a pit/pit-x, but I understand that under the legislation (if it passed) pits/pit-x's will be banned from dog parks. Because i live in an apartment, the dog park is the only place I will be able to let my dog go run without a leash. If I can't do that, then I don't know what I would do for exercise. Plus I would be worried about an increase in my tenants insurance.

Jess, feel free to send me info on dogs. Especially if you hear of any bulldogs. Actually, I got a call from Mary who asked me if I wanted to be put on a waiting list. I haven't had a chance to call her back though.
Old November 9th, 2004, 11:30 AM

good luck and maybe waiting till after the christmas period will work to your advantage i know in england they would get inundated with dogs