Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 7th, 2014, 07:00 PM

Low Stress Traveling PLEASE HELP!

I have two 15lb spaniels. I'm going to be traveling with them and I want to make it as least-stressful as possible.

Both have traveled quite a couple times already. But this time I want to make it super low-stress because I am going for a behavioral assessment and I want the trip affect them as little as possible. They will be traveling by plane, about a two hour flight. Since they are little they travel in a soft-sided crate in the cabin under the seat. We will be staying at a hotel.

The male,(I guess not coincidently) is the super anxious one, is also the one who will be going to be accessed. He will get easily stressed in the busy, loud airport, the plane trip with rumbling engines and turbulence, and the hotels with all the new and weird smells. Basically he gets stressed with any unusual experience.

In past trips we have used DAP(dog appeasing pheromone), a blanket or toy from home, and a thundershirt. All of them combined have seemed to lower his anxiety greatly but I was hoping for more suggestions to make it even better this time around.

Any comments, suggestions, or experiences are taken into consideration and VERY appreciated!

*please do not suggest any strong drugs

Thanks!
Old May 8th, 2014, 04:46 AM

Maybe try some Rescue Remedy? I think it helps our Dane during thunder storms - it's all natural and has wonderful reviews

http://www.bachrescueremedypet.com/
Old May 8th, 2014, 09:36 AM
Senior Contributor

http://www.animalplanet.com/pets/5-t...-on-planes.htm

I found this web site on now to travel with small dogs and it suggest not feeding your right before the flight which I was going to say.
Old May 8th, 2014, 08:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Tellington TTouch touches. One of the touches that I would recommend would be Ear Work. You can do this prior to boarding and also while travelling. since they will be with you on board it is a perfect way to connect with your pet during travel.

http://www.listeningtowhispers.com/ttouchExamples.shtml