Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pets that have passed away - Rainbow bridge

Old November 23rd, 2010, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

We let Keeper go today

We let Keeper go earlier today. . . .

She had a good weekend but had crashed pretty hard in the last 24 hours, but particularly this morning.

She was somewhat disoriented earlier in the morning, wanting to go outside a few times but standing, seemingly lost and the last time, laying down on the deck in the minus 31 temperature. Carol had to carry her back into the house and, when I got home, I carried her to the Durango and then into the clinic.

Obviously, quality of life was no longer there. The cancer had likely burst inside her. We feel we did the right thing and the outcome was a certain one in any event. She was three weeks to the day into the one month time frame we had been given.

It was a peaceful passing and our vet was in tears as well having known Keeper a long time.

Keeper was the most innocent being I think I've ever known, completely without guile or pretense. It was a privilege to have known such a beautiful, unguarded soul.

She came to us as an owner surrender at one year of age, kicked out of town where she'd been exiled to her back yard, loving to bark at anything that happened to pass in the night . . . . but that loud carefulness wasn't too much appreciated in town while, in the country, she fit right in.

The time of her arrival sparked this story at Goldentales, written for my two godchildren at the time:

http://www.goldentales.ca/BARKATDARKGOLDEN.htm

Keeper a few years ago, showing a joy for life . . .

She saw many adventures . . .

. . . . but this was Keeper a week ago, near the end, an iconic and soulful image . . . .

It's been only 26 days since Abby passed and we'd like to think Keeper and Abby are off adventuring together again . . . .

. . . . but, in any event, I'll always remember Keeper as a ghostly presence when I'm out walking our place . . .

As with Abby, raise a glass to Keeper and a life well-lived and one that was well-loved.

Forever is a long time.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old November 23rd, 2010, 04:17 PM

Rick, I am so sorry for your loss.
Your words are so poetic and spoken from the heart - obviously your soul is as beautiful as Keeper's, and Abby's too.

I know and understand the pain you feel, and I hope that time makes it easier for you and your family.

God bless.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 04:24 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Through tearfilled eyes I offer my condolences to you and Carol

Keeper and Abby were such a joy to get to know on this site through your stories and pictures. Such a beautiful life you gave them both.

Somehow it is bittersweet that they are together again running at the Bridge and snuggling close together.

I hope that some day soon your pictures and stories will bring you comfort and joy and not just the tears and heartache you both must be feeling today.

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old November 23rd, 2010, 05:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Rick,even though we knew the end was near for Keeper,I cannot hold back the tears.
I think we all felt we knew Abby and Keeper through your beautiful pictures and we will miss them,it is some comfort thinking they are now together again.
You and Carol gave these two beautiful pups the best life any dog could wish for.
My condolences to you and Carol
Old November 23rd, 2010, 05:19 PM
owned by Tucker

Rick my heart goes out to you and your wife, to loose two such lovely dogs in such a short time. I love the picture of them both walking in the snow leaving foot prints, like the ones they have left on all or our hearts...Abby and Keeper
Old November 23rd, 2010, 05:19 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG, that picture of Abby and Keeper walking away together, killed me completely. That is how I will always think of them. My heart breaks for you and Carol both. How empty the fields must seem right now. The girls are back together though, running pain free at the bridge, knowing they have had the best loving and best life any dogs could ask for. There is nothing on earth you two could have done to give them any more. One day perhaps, when the time is right, a new pup may be in those fields to bark away the invaders at night. Bless you both for all you gave to the girls, and Bless Abby and Keeper together again.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 05:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Rick and Carol I am so sorry but you were blessed to have such wonderful souls in your life in Abby and Keeper. I am sure they are running together and playing pain free. I look it as our lives are enriched by the pets that come into our lives.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 23rd, 2010, 05:27 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am so sorry, Rick, I just can't imagine the pain you and Carol must be feeling losing such two beautiful souls so closely together. I am sure they are now together watching out for you and running free as they did in beautiful Kananaskis country. Your pics have captured their souls so wonderfully. They were both lucky to have you and Carol.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 23rd, 2010, 05:36 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Rick our sympathies go out to both you and Carol,,you were the best family any pup could have asked for.

Keeper you're running free with Abby waiting for mommy and daddy.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 05:37 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm so sorry, what a hard time for you. We lost two a month apart and it hurts more than twice as much. Thinking of you and Carol.

The Lawren Harris shot is beautiful and sad. Keeper and Abby off adventuring together
Old November 23rd, 2010, 05:44 PM
~Cat Servent~

Oh Rick I am so sorry for your loss, the picture of them walking off together in the snow had me in tears... I have no doubt they are somewhere just like that off on another adventure together to bide their time until the rest of their family arrives.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old November 23rd, 2010, 06:17 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

We are left behind to feel the pain, the joy of loving two such special dogs, the agony of knowing we will never share those moments of unbridled happiness that shone through in all of your pictures. If we are feeling so much pain I am sure yours is intensified one thousands so. Please Rick and Carol, know we are all sharing a small part of that pain; hoping to lessen it for you at least a little.
Your girls are together again. They will forever be so. Until you meet again.. run free sweet Keeper. Meet Abby and share many more runs up mountains for us sweetie. For us.
sweet Keeper dear Abby

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 23rd, 2010, 06:17 PM
You can call me DOG!

My deepest condolences to you and Carol. Words cannot express the sorrow we all feel for you and your family but let it be known, that I personally, have enjoyed every picture you have posted of Abby & Keeper.

They will live long in our hearts and now they're together again. +

Cheers.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old November 23rd, 2010, 06:38 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry about Keeper - and even more being so soon after Abby...how your hearts must ache.

After just having to let Rudy go last week, I know part of your pain very well -

Your photos have always been such a treasure to see.

RIP Keeper - run with Abby.

Diane
Old November 23rd, 2010, 07:21 PM

I am so so sorry for your loss, you have so many beautiful memories and pictures on your golden tales site of them, and I will always visit there and smile. They are definitely running free together and out of pain with the same spirit they did in life. You were blessed to have them in your lives as they were to have come into yours. I hope the pain subsides more quickly for you both, and the love and the smiles replace that as I know they would have wanted you both to celebrate their lives. And what lives they had
keeper
Old November 23rd, 2010, 07:44 PM
Chum Mum

I am so sorry for you and Carol...how devastating to loose both wonderful souls so close together... I shall always think of them and smile whenever I pass thru K-Country
R.I.P. Boog,Pootie, Bud & Tarkha
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I look into your soft brown eyes,
Where love and loyal homage shine,
And wonder where the difference lies
Between your soul and mine!
Old November 23rd, 2010, 08:23 PM
Doggie Wench

My deepest sympathies .

Keeper
Old November 23rd, 2010, 08:49 PM
Senior Contributor

so sorry to hear keeper has lost her fight . My thoughts and tears are with you as well.

keeper

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007
Old November 23rd, 2010, 08:52 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

My deepest sympathies go out to you and Carol....as many have said Abby & Keeper I am sure are checking out some trails until you meet them again.

Abby and Keeper I will raise a glass in both your honor!

RickC your stories and pictures of those girls are engraved in all of our hearts!

I wish you both peace.

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old November 23rd, 2010, 09:48 PM
Senior Contributor

My heart broke tonight for Keeper and Abby. Such beautiful companions. How you must miss them. You have many beautiful memories that will make you smile, once the pain has ebbed. We know how much you hurt right now and we all know how much love these pups gave and received. My deepest condolences to you and your wife.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old November 23rd, 2010, 11:09 PM

Rick...my deepest condolences to you and Carol Keeper and Abby are together once again.....

Keeper
Old November 23rd, 2010, 11:10 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Another toast, this time to both Keeper and Abby! May they forever accompany you on your treks and watch over you and Carol.

Listen! I think I hear Keeper teaching Abby to Bark at the Dark!

Keeper and Abby, together, forever young

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 23rd, 2010, 11:24 PM
Senior Contributor

my heart goes out to you both run to the bridge little one, god speed , brenda and the pins
Old November 23rd, 2010, 11:31 PM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

My thoughts are with you tonight.

Keeper

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old November 24th, 2010, 05:06 AM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss, the best buds are together again, going on their adventures
Old November 24th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Half Way To Crazy

I'm so sorry Rick and Carol

Old November 24th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I'm so sorry to hear this Rick, please accept my (and my wife's who is now tearing) deepest condolences

It's such a difficult time around here lately with many new and long-time members losing pets that we've all come to know and love. Nothing good to say here except that we understand what you are going through and are sad right along with you

sweet Keeper

Sincerely,

Marko
Old November 24th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Lots of tears for your two Golden angels a world away in Oz, Rick and Carol. It doesn't take much to start them flowing seeing 4 of my beloved dogs left us this year, I know exactly what you are going through. I also know your dogs were blessed the day you walked into their lives, what a truly great life you gave them.
Old November 24th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Owned by Angus & Brier

I'm very sorry for your loss of Keeper and Abby as well.
Monty: You Will Be Forever In My Heart
Old November 24th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Rick,
I am so very sorry to hear about Keeper. Knowing it's coming does not make it any easier when it happens. You gave both Abby and Keeper wonderful lives filled with love and the most beautiful playground any dog could ever wish for. They will both live on through your stories and pictures. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

beautiful Keeper

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012