Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 26th, 2010, 02:36 AM

Question furr loss

My situation is no where near as bad as the topics, I scanned over on this page. But I do have a small problem, I have a long haired chihuahua (Jasper, http://i41.tinypic.com/28mnsc9.png) who every now and again will begin to have a bald spot. The vet said it could just be from biting/stratching that area constantly, but I was wondering in anyone knew any good foods or tips that I could use to keep his coat shiny and healthy. And also if anyone else has had the problem, does the furr grow back (he has a patch near his bottom that hasn't grown in over the past six months and I'm concerned because when I'm combing him, dry flakes will come off his skin)?

Thankyou for your time

- Another mess I've stumbled on is, he has incredibly sensitive furr meaning I can't use a collar or harness (as shown in this picture http://i39.tinypic.com/3506kvs.jpg) or else he'll end up having small cuts on his chest and under arms. Is there an alternative collar - like thing I could use?

Last edited by marko; March 26th, 2010 at 07:45 AM. Reason: font too small
Old March 26th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Investigative researcher

A grain free food would likely help with his coat, if you are not already using one. As to the harness--there are many on the market that are more like soft vests than harnesses. This is one I had for Lyric when he was a pup--works very well, and no rubbing. The chest part is mesh, and the edges are foam filled. Bought in a grooming shop, and have seen them in many larger pet stores.

Old March 26th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I would have to agree, if the problem isn't a medical problem, then it's food related - maybe a food allergy.

Chicken, wheat, corn and soy are common allergy triggers for dogs so you should pay attention to the ingredient listing on the foods you consider. The addition of salmon oil can also help.

ETA: Perhaps once you get the condition of the skin and coat improved, a harness won't create sores on the dog since the skin won't be so sensitive.
Old March 26th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree with other comments. My GSD has allergies to chicken. I have him on fish based food.