Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old March 14th, 2009, 09:10 PM

Wierd Foods your pets like.

Well I thought I'd start a light hearted thread to laugh about some of the wierd things our animals like to eat.

While my cat Sox loves Angel Food Cake, like will climb up my arm to get it. I don't know why. If I have it she hops up beside me and bats at me at first to get my attention. Anyway I don't give her a lot as it is quite fattening but I'll give her a piece after I've taken a big bite out of it until it's gone.

My Dog is a little more wierd, She will beg and beg for tomatoes. I normally give her the first small slice of it whenever I slice one up. And Oatmeal Crisp with almonds. We used to each have some for breakfast when I still lived at home. Never told anyone, didn't think to mention it until my mother brought up Penny's bizarre behaviour. She was going nuts and crying while my mom was trying to make cornflake macaroons....with Oatmeal Crisp with almonds.

So What bizarre foods do you guys find your little furry children just can't get enough of? Any idea why they like it? how it started?
Old March 14th, 2009, 11:13 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Our dogs always come running for lettuce. It's pretty weird, because in dogs, lettuce is an acquired taste...the first time they taste it they spit it out. But it makes a great low-cal, low-protein treat for them--we started using it as a treat when Evan came down with IBD. Lettuce didn't bother his digestive tract in the least, so we just got in the habit of giving it to our dogs.

When we get a new addition to the Pack there is always that first lettuce adventure. The veterans come running for their lettuce, with the newbie trailing behind. The veterans eat their lettuce with relish...the newbie spits it out on the floor and looks at the others like they're crazy! But after they watch the discards being appreciated by some other dog, the newbies begin to come around to the idea of lettuce as a delicacy.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 14th, 2009, 11:26 PM
~Cat Servent~

Got a few I guess...
Fagan- Lemon yogurt
Windy- cookies, any kind really and cake
Palomine- marshmallows

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old March 14th, 2009, 11:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Wow! It sounds like cats have a real sweet tooth! I never knew that! I like their style!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 15th, 2009, 12:53 AM

My goes nuts for:
ketchup chips
donuts, cake
home made pie crust
french fries
cereal - any kind
marshmallows
cookies - any knd
home made cookie dough
croissants

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old March 15th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Sleep..What is that?!?

*Pringle chips...Messina will go to extremes to steal one out of the bowl

*Dry Ichiban noodles...both will munch on them right out of the package...no, I am not giving them to them...just if I make the mistake of opening the package, turning to put water in the pan and turn back around...two cats on the counter eating noodles

*Bananas...only if it is in the skin...they won't eat them if I peel the banana...they don't eat the skin, they just tear it apart to get to the goodies inside.

*Asperagus...Seth goes nuts as soon as he smells it cooking

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old March 15th, 2009, 12:05 PM

Soxy, I used to have a cat who go absolutely insane over angel food cake - no idea why it appeals to them..lol
Scruffs loves: papaya, cucumber, raw almonds, cooked cauliflower and broccoli, apples, snap peas - pods and all- and fresh garden carrots.
Old March 15th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Keely woould eat anything as long as she didnt think it was dog food

The only thing she doesnt like so far, are pretzals.. And i cant blame her for that
haha

What i do find weird is how much she likes GRAPEFRUIT..

We dont really give iit to her much, But everynow and then Ill giveher a little tiny piece.. loll.. She BEGS for it.
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old March 15th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Senior Contributor

My American Eskimo loves everything - except raw parsnip - other than than ANYTHING goes. One of my cats had a real thing for fruitcake - good thing someone did.
Old March 15th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Vlad and Oksana love cheese! Oksana likes yogurt, and Vlad likes Red Velvet Ice-Cream. Maks will steal my lettuce from my salad too when I'm not looking. Czari likes pasta, so does Vlad and Oksana. Blueberry muffins are also a favorite or Oksana, and she also loves toast with butter.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old March 15th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Ok,Vinnie likes EVERYTHING,but a few favorites,peanuts(not salted),chips,icecream,cake,all meats,all cheeses,a lick from my choclate-bars,cucumber etc,etc...
Chico too loves a lick of choclate,some meat but otherwise sticks to cat-food.
Rocky loves butter,I let him lick it off my sandwich,hubby just about throws up watching me eat it after Rocky licked it
He likes any kind of cake,he'll already have his mouth open when he knows I am cutting a piece,he also likes Doritos Chips.
I forgot,Rocky also like red jello!
Old March 15th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Ok,Vinnie likes EVERYTHING,but a few favorites,peanuts(not salted),chips,icecream,cake,all meats,all cheeses,a lick from my choclate-bars,cucumber etc,etc...
Chico too loves a lick of choclate,some meat but otherwise sticks to cat-food.
Rocky loves butter,I let him lick it off my sandwich,hubby just about throws up watching me eat it after Rocky licked it
He likes any kind of cake,he'll already have his mouth open when he knows I am cutting a piece,he also likes Doritos Chips.
I forgot,Rocky also like red jello!
LOL, Chico, I just had to laugh. When I butter my bread, Vlad or Oksana will lick the butter in the container. The same butter I put on my bread. And when Vlad licks the ice cream off my spoon, I finish the rest of it. It's no big deal to me. Heck, I recently saw something on mythbusters and they showed a dogs tongue to be more hygienic than a humans tongue LOL
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old March 15th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Onnie sticks to cat food except if its cheese.

Bunduk loves cantalope, dates, pumpkin, bread & cornflakes

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old March 16th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Slave to Roland & Willis.

Roland doest get much human food but we were pretty surprised when we were having chocolate fondue and he jumped up on the table to steal the strawberries. hes nuts about them. didnt give him more than a tiny taste cause I wasnt sure it was all that safe, but I guess they are fine and he just goes nuts for them! silly cats. I had a cat who would jump up on the table and steal butternut squash off the table and leave the chicken. wierdos. lol.
Old March 16th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Kitty pimp

du will eat any dairy you have chhese and butter but her fav is blueberry yogurt

amanda loves pumpernickle and peanut butter
Old March 16th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

Ok...here's one I found out last night!

I came into the kitchen and saw the fridge door open...I am thinking I have gone too senial to close the door now...I looked under the dining room table for some reason and Seth was sitting there (Messina watching him of course ) with an orange pepper in his mouth! He had munched through a top knob!

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old March 18th, 2009, 08:49 PM

My dog likes broccoli, nectarines, popcorn, and salt and vinegar chips.
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

When we had our first dog, I used to have a vegetable garden. Long since replaced with a rose bed. I love cucumbers and used to grow them up fences and trellises. I would see cucumbers getting almost big enough to pick and then they'd be gone the next day. Took a while to figure out what was happening to them. While working out in the garden, Freddie walked by me, right up to a cucumber vine growing on the fence. He reached up and grabbed a nice big cucumber in his teeth and severed it off the vine. Went over to a nice shady spot and promptly ate it. For every one cucmber I got to eat, he would eat 2 or 3 times that.

Cindy
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:28 PM

Freddie was a clever one

One of my Sibes would very gently pick raspberries off the neighbours bush where the branches came through the fence

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old March 19th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Owned by Angus & Brier

Smile Monty's Favs

My Monty loved Blueberries. My dad grows them and when we would go out to the field to pick them Monty would lay in the field and eat them off the bushes. He also loved cereal...any kind. And cheese slices.
Our cat, Hershey, used to love donuts and biscuits! In fact, I used to throw them out to feed the crows and Hershey and Monty would end up eating all the biscuits before the crows could get any!
Hershey loved anything tho, didn't matter what you were eating, she would be on your shoulder swatting at your fork. The cat we have now, Hank, he's very fussy. Rarely eats any people food.....loves tuna tho.
Old March 19th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Winnie...my sweet yellow lab.....loves..lets see.....oh yah...

everything that fits in her mouth or can be broken into pieces so it fits in her mouth...
don't make her innocent look fool you!!!!!!!
Attached Images

Old March 19th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I recognize those baskets, cpietra

Puddles LOVES strawberry shortcake and mashed banana toast.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 19th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Kitty pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16 View Post
Winnie...my sweet yellow lab.....loves..lets see.....oh yah...

everything that fits in her mouth or can be broken into pieces so it fits in her mouth...
don't make her innocent look fool you!!!!!!!
well snap its a lab only thing mine didnt like was tabasco sauce
Old March 20th, 2009, 09:10 AM

Whenever I eat watermellon, they'll lick away at the leftovers. They also go after any drink I leave unattended. I think their favourite is orange juice... I thought cats hate citrus?

It's true, cats do love cheese burgers. Some friends came over with some McDonalds takeout and apparently my cats stole a cheese burger, carried it to another room, ripped it open and started devouring the burger. Didn't find out until later when I was wondering what the noise was. I suspect that one of my friends tossed a cheeseburger into a separate room, but so far nobody fessed up to it. It also looks like I'm rubbing off on them because like me, they avoided the pickles!
Old March 20th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Be careful with those burgers. I think they have onions no? Onions are very very bad for cats.

Old March 20th, 2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
Be careful with those burgers. I think they have onions no? Onions are very very bad for cats.
Yup, that's the lecture I gave my friends. That could also be why nobody fessed up!

Hey that was your 9,000 post! Congrats!
Old March 20th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjoejoe View Post
Yup, that's the lecture I gave my friends. That could also be why nobody fessed up!

No doubt why nobody confessed.

Hey that was your 9,000 post! Congrats!
Wow, thanks! I hadn't even noticed how far up I've gotten!

Old March 21st, 2009, 06:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Here's one I just noticed tonight. Vlad and Oksana like butter cream frosting LOL.

Old March 26th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Obsessed animal lover

My underwear and pieces of my shirts. She goes nuts for cheese and dehydrated chicken hearts. And anything plastic. Cat food. Funny for a dog who I begged to eat when she was a puppy.
Old April 1st, 2009, 08:38 AM

Cat Food

My little pussy likes every thing whatever I give her and fits into her mouth like yogurt, fruits, rice etc.