Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old November 14th, 2009, 11:11 AM
One dog at a time...

Taste of the Wild

I have always tried to be an educated pet guardian/mom and thought I was providing my furkids with excellent pet food, at their vet's recommendation. My dogs were eating Hill's Prescription Z/D Ultra (for Lodi's allergies) and the cats ate Hill's Hairball Control. After doing a lot of reading here and going to the dog food comparison link provided by boxerlover2008 (thank you!), I was shocked to learn that Hill's is not the best for my kids. I knew they did not need a lot of grains but never read the Hill's ingredient list because the vet recommended it. Too trusting and stupid, I know. I have also since learned that a lot of grains could also be carcinogenic. That absolutely tears me up because my Lodi died of cancer.
So, as a newly educated mom, I am in the process of switching everyone over to Taste of the Wild. I reviewed all of the #6 foods and ended up having to go with what is available in my area (I live in a small town with the nearest larger town being over an hour drive's away). And, amazingly, it is less expensive than the Hill's! I was paying $54 for 18# and the TOTW is about $44 for 30#. Yes, I fell for the "more expensive is better".
My question to you all is: Have I made a good choice by going with TOTW? I know it is absolutely better than the Hill's but what do you all think? Don't sugar-coat it for me either
I do not want my other babies to get cancer and while I know there is nothing to absolutely prevent it, I must provide them with the best defenses I can.

RIP My Precious Kitty - Misty Margaret (long-hair calico) - 08/24/94-03/12/10
RIP Sweet Baby Girl - Lodi Sue (dachshund mix) -01/20/98-11/04/09
RIP My Itty Bitty - Trinket Joy (chihuahua mix) Puppy Mill Survivor rescued 10/00 died 01/22/02

Rescues will touch your heart & soul like no other!
Old November 14th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Isn't that something how vet pet food is fairly crummy when you start breaking it all down? Glad you're aware of it now and looking to switch, and yes, TOTW is a good brand of food.

I have to add that my family only recently (like a month or so ago) switched all of our animals onto RAW, and *if* you have are interested I highly reccomend it. Not only has it been easy to switch them all (I was always overwhelmed at the thought that it would be too hard, dumping kibble in the bowls seemed easier for my busy schedule), it's WAY cheaper - they poop less and have far more energy, bright eyes and soft fur. Our youngest kitten was also suspected to have a form of IBS (or IBD) when we brought her home, but after putting her on the RAW diet, she has absolutley no issues whatsoever.

Just thought I might mention it as an option for you to look into, especially if you're in a smaller town.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old November 14th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Bailey's suggestion of trying raw is an excellent one. If you're not ready for that, I would say (no sugar-coating) that the cats at least should be on canned food. There is no kibble anywhere for any price that is appropriate for cats to eat, TOTW included. Here is some info on why, as well as more about feeding cats a raw diet: www.catinfo.org

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 14th, 2009, 12:00 PM
One dog at a time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
I would say (no sugar-coating) that the cats at least should be on canned food.
I do feed the cats canned food also (forgot to mention that). They get it at mealtime but I have the dry available for free-feeding. I have done a bit of research into feeding RAW but it overwhelms me. It is not something I intend to rule out completely but being of a logical mind, I must have "my ducks in a row" before I start something. I will check out your link - I love to learn!

RIP My Itty Bitty - Trinket Joy (chihuahua mix) Puppy Mill Survivor rescued 10/00 died 01/22/02

Old November 14th, 2009, 12:40 PM

I've worked at a pet nutrition store for a while, and have found that its not extremely popular because of the different protein sources. But it is a fabulous holistic food that really just doesn't sell because of the crummy packaging!

I hope everything works out on this food, if it doesn't, I would suggest Chicken Soup for the Dogs Soul. It comes in large breed/medium breed specific, adult senior puppy forms. Its a holistic food for WAY less. Both of my dogs are on it and they are doing so great!
Best of luck
Old November 14th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Young at Heart

Shadow is now on Taste of The Wild kibble and his coat has improved 100% since he went on it. Also, he is much calmer and friendler too - he will now go up to people when they visit - in the house or on the deck. He used to run for hills! I can only surmise that ingredients in the kibble are what he needed
Old November 14th, 2009, 10:48 PM
One dog at a time...

Thank you erin and jan. I feel good about my choice for the girls. Yay for Shadow!

Old December 4th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I realize this thread is a bit old - but just a word of warning. Taste of the Wild is made by Diamond Foods - which has yet another recall out there.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34223285...th-pet_health/

The current recall is on cat food, but still - IMO feeding anything made by this company is risky.
Old December 31st, 2009, 10:19 PM
One dog at a time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandy View Post
I realize this thread is a bit old - but just a word of warning. Taste of the Wild is made by Diamond Foods - which has yet another recall out there.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34223285...th-pet_health/

The current recall is on cat food, but still - IMO feeding anything made by this company is risky.
Thanks for the input Kandy. I have printed out a list of dog food from dogfoodanaylsis.com and have it in my purse. I live in a small town and must buy what is available here. We have a WalMart and a farm store here. That's it for pet food. The next time I go out of town, I will check other places to see what is available there. I do worry about recalls. The last one scared me to pieces and my dogs weren't even eating any of the recalled food! I appreciate your advice and link
Have the companies who make Blue Wilderness or Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul ever had recalls?

Last edited by My Lodi Girl; December 31st, 2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 05:07 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Lodi Girl View Post
Have the companies who make Blue Wilderness or Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul ever had recalls?

Yes, both of them have.

Blue Wilderness wasn't recalled but it was their Blue Buffalo formula.