Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old February 20th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Angry Extreme Couponing?!

These people are totally crazy! I can see saving money on groceries using coupons but this is extreme. Most of them have soo much stuff stored there's no way in the world that they'd be able to use it all. They buy stuff that they don't need or use. Like why buy a grocery cart full of pet food when you don't have a pet just because with your coupons you can get if for practically free. They seem to me like very selfish people, donate the stuff to food banks or animal shelters. I bet people watching these shows who work/volunteer at shelters etc see red when they see this sort of stuff.
Old February 20th, 2011, 01:57 PM

some of them have ridiculous stock piles ! like they have their whole garage or attic or something dedicated to storing all of it. And they really do get some of it for free since in the states some stores double the value of coupons and then the item will be on sale, its crazy, you cant do anything like that here in Canada.

I do agree that they should be donating some of it, because they do have some amounts of stuff that they could never use all of in their life time. Maybe people from shelters should try to do the same with coupons? at least in the US they could.
Old February 20th, 2011, 03:37 PM

hoarders
Old February 20th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Senior Contributor

I just saw this show and was amazed. I am actually curious if this couponing thing could work for pet food. We spend more than $500.00 per month and if there was a way to cut these expenses, I would be all for it.
Old February 20th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

there are a couple of Canadian coupon sites. I haven't seen anything like what these people collect here though. I suppose if you lived close enough to the border, you could do it like they do.
Old February 20th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Senior Contributor

a lot of pet stores here give discounts for rescues and give bags that are ripped open. I go pick it up whenever they call me with some. usually on shipment days, the driver also instead of taking it back to the warehouse will give it to them to donate, you all should ask your feed stores what they do with ripped bags. what channel or night is this show on? I never heard of it.
Old February 20th, 2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
I just saw this show and was amazed. I am actually curious if this couponing thing could work for pet food. We spend more than $500.00 per month and if there was a way to cut these expenses, I would be all for it.
We cant do it nearly as well in Canada as they do on this show, our stores dont make the coupons double value. I dont think their pet stores have coupons though, at least not on the couple of episodes that i have seen, but it would be great for rescues and such to be able to get such great discounts on pet food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
a lot of pet stores here give discounts for rescues and give bags that are ripped open. I go pick it up whenever they call me with some. usually on shipment days, the driver also instead of taking it back to the warehouse will give it to them to donate, you all should ask your feed stores what they do with ripped bags.
I find the some vets do that too, when i was volunteering at one in toronto they offered me 3 or 4 different types of dog and cat food ( neither of which i needed at the time because i didnt have any dogs or cats then and couldnt really fit it in my suitcase anyways) that had either been returned because a pet didnt like it or the bag broke during shipping.
Old February 21st, 2011, 12:01 AM
chronically insane.

My family is one of those families.. we get coupons for EVERYTHING.

--But! We actually use those items and if we aren't going to use them we give them to other people or donate them. I request coupons for dog food and for dog supplies all the time, and I will give them to other people. When I get free dog treats or samples of things, I bring them to either the shelter or to my friends house to give to her dog.

I am definitely a crazy coupon person, but atleast I put the things to use!

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old February 21st, 2011, 12:09 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I haven't seen the show yet. HM is right. In Canada we don't do the double couponing. My store will not give anything for free either. If something is on sale for a dollar and the person has a coupon for a dollar we can only do 99 cents on the coupon. Just what the rules are.
We had Max Scoop on sale last week. Not a litter I would normally buy but I had a ton of coupons for it so I used them all. The litter was $5. Coupons were $1.50. All in all not a bad deal. I ended up with 14 pails of it but around here that's one litter change.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 21st, 2011, 12:44 AM

I saw a special a few weeks ago about the crazy extreme coupon people and just thought wow at first. The more I watched the madder I got, they're just hoarding stuff and it is really selfish. Of all the people they showed only one guy donated the stuff he doesn't use to his local church.

Just about everything these people are "hoarding" expires at some point so why not donate it. Even food banks need things like personal care items, which will eventualy expire. These people could do so much for their community if they donated even just half the stuff they get.

On a side not since it was mentioned two of the animal hospitals I worked for donated all damaged cans/bags or just about to expire food to the humane socitey and other shelters near us. All we had to do was remove the upc and send it to the manufacutre like Medi-Cal so they could write it off and we would get reimbursed. They were actualy happy that we did it(or at least our rep was). Dry and canned foods while they have a best before date are still good for a certain period of time. We would just make sure to let the shelter know which ones needed to be used first and how long they were good for. Since some foods were for particular health conditions we would send a paper along explaining what they were for so say a young healthy cat wouldn't get a kidney related food.

This was awhile ago now but if anyone is interested maybe ask your vet clinic what they do with such foods and if they would be interested in donating it. There's a lot of wasted food out there that shelters would be happy to have. Some clinics just throw it out or send it back and then who know's what happens to it.

"All of the animals except for man know that the principle business of life is to enjoy it." ~ Samuel Butler

"The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals" ~ Anonymous
Old June 18th, 2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattymac View Post
there are a couple of Canadian coupon sites. I haven't seen anything like what these people collect here though. I suppose if you lived close enough to the border, you could do it like they do.
I'm a 'Canadian Extreme Couponer' If I find a deal that leaves items free or nearly free and I don't use it, i'll leave it with my stock for a week just to get my gratification that I did it, and I found a good deal, then i've been known to bring bags and bags around to my neighbors and just saying 'take what you want'. I also made baskets for fundraisers which i'm really proud of. I'm sure if you'd see some things and descriptions of what I buy, you'd change your mind about 'Us'

Quote:
Yep!! About 3 weeks ago I got 19 bags of dog food completely free. Of course after some friends saw, and people who came in our house (they were in a bin until I could figure out where they'd go) I probably only have around 10 now.
Old June 18th, 2011, 11:19 AM

Can I just mention how much I hate the show too, which is kind of a weird for me to say as I do the same. But after seeing that one girl yell at her husband in the store, I was furious ! This is not how we act! And we do not get treated like queens and kings in stores! I spent 2 hours at walmart once because they didn't want to read a coupon right, and in the end a little old man came and told them I was right. I donate, I don't often donate to charities because the ones in my area are extremely picky (but thats another story) but I donate to friends and family. If my brother were to say his friend ran our of dog food and didn't have much money for more, for sure i'd give him a big 'ol box ! Same with deodorant, toothpaste, hand soap and body wash !
Old June 18th, 2011, 08:30 PM

The thing with the couponing is it seems they just get mass amounts of certain items that they strategically plan out with coupons and sales. Then if they are lucky and end up with the store owing them, they get some additional items, but most stuff is over packaged and process junk. I don't see why 300 tubes of tooth paste and 200 detergent bottles are handy. I don't see how a complete garage of canned and packaged food will keep long enough to eat (everything has a expiry date) basically the people just hoard up their items as some sort of bizarre trophy, I haven't heard anyone on the episodes I saw (a handful of them) discuss donating to charity, only giving to family members.
Old June 18th, 2011, 11:00 PM

A lot of them do say they donate, and let their neighbors shop. Again, i'm not a fan of the show, but I know I do it legit and well, people who have complained about it in the past are the ones now getting me inserts in return for items.
Old June 19th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Doggie Wench

I know this thread is older but, I too use coupons as frequently as possible. I can't comment on the show as I don't watch tv.

I did want to add my two cents though...there's quite a difference between hoarding and strategic "smart" shopping. Fortunately for me, I've had lots of practice as I'm responsible for most purchases at my workplace (whether it be products used in production or for resale). Only recently though have I been applying myself to find lots of stuff 1/2 price or more when I buy retail rather than going through wholesalers and distributors.

At home, I can and do stock up at least 6 months worth of food and household items often at 50-80% of regular cost. It takes some planning but, hey, I only have to do it several times a year and the savings are worth it . As most folk, I work really hard for my income and I refuse to spend it thoughtlessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattymac View Post
Perhaps it's not as easy as in the US since I find coupons here are not as varied but, I can get basic staples like toothpaste, laundry detergent, toilet paper, etc for next to free if I plan my shopping properly. Out west, it's possible to stack coupons at some large chain stores so, yeah, lots of things can be obtained for free. Manufacturers provide coupons to consumers to encourage them to purchase their products, consumers use them at retail stores, retail stores are reimbursed 100% plus handling fees. It's all perfectly legal and those who take advantage of it shouldn't be stigmatized, they're just very wise with their money .
Old June 20th, 2011, 12:25 AM

Plus, hoarders have JUNK. I have things I wont need to buy again for a long while. I have dog food for a good 6 months. Anyone who says planning ahead and being smart like this is wrong, is going to starve when the vampire robot nazi's take over the world.
Old June 20th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

This expression is so old it should probably be in a museum somewhere buut

"A penny saved is a penny earned"

Modern version since we hate pennies....

"A dollar saved is a dollar earned"

I'm w/luckypenny here even though i don't do much couponing..... being wise w/your money by saving it is a smart thing to do. Ignore the stigma.

(but back to the original point...if it's stuff you don't need then I defer to my dad's famous expression......."Son, a bargain is only a bargain if it's something you need."
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old June 20th, 2011, 12:08 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Here's my opinion - not that it matters a whole heck of a lot on here any more - If you are buying more stuff than you can use within a reasonable amount of time then you are not "bargain hunting". You are hoarding.

A reasonable amount of time to me would be six months to a year. Most products have an expiration date on them. Yes, I understand the buying bargains when you have coupons. Heavens, I use coupons myself. Yes, for things like paper towels, tp, laundry soap - if you can get a good deal on it and the store has no limits set then go for it. I don't think I'd be wanting to buy toothpaste much past a years' use date. It's great to get bargains. You buy enough for your family to use over the course of a certain time. Good for you.
However - buying on a weekly basis, going around collecting coupon papers, newspapers, etc and spending an entire day planning your shopping trip, buying so much that you outgrow the spaces meant for your groceries; you've filled your basement, your garage; and you are now using your children's bedrooms by stuffing things under their beds, in their closets, and putting in shelves to hold the overflow - sorry folks - THAT is hoarding!!

DONATE!!!!!!! There are so many places in the States where people are in dire financial straights with no job in sight - I am quite sure food banks would love some of that overflow. JMO

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 20th, 2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Here's my opinion - not that it matters a whole heck of a lot on here any more - If you are buying more stuff than you can use within a reasonable amount of time then you are not "bargain hunting". You are hoarding.

A reasonable amount of time to me would be six months to a year. Most products have an expiration date on them. Yes, I understand the buying bargains when you have coupons. Heavens, I use coupons myself. Yes, for things like paper towels, tp, laundry soap - if you can get a good deal on it and the store has no limits set then go for it. I don't think I'd be wanting to buy toothpaste much past a years' use date. It's great to get bargains. You buy enough for your family to use over the course of a certain time. Good for you.
However - buying on a weekly basis, going around collecting coupon papers, newspapers, etc and spending an entire day planning your shopping trip, buying so much that you outgrow the spaces meant for your groceries; you've filled your basement, your garage; and you are now using your children's bedrooms by stuffing things under their beds, in their closets, and putting in shelves to hold the overflow - sorry folks - THAT is hoarding!!

DONATE!!!!!!! There are so many places in the States where people are in dire financial straights with no job in sight - I am quite sure food banks would love some of that overflow. JMO
Just because you don't use the item doesn't mean that family doesn't. Hoarding is junk & dirt.
Old June 20th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:

I am with you 14+K. (see I value your opinion.)
Old June 20th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree also, donate anything you can get in excess. If couponing is your ball game, go for it, but be reasonable. Yeah like I want a box of cereal that's been on my shelf for the past 8 months . If you have the time and energy to do this, absolutely, then donate it to the food bank or a homeless shelter, or a pet shelter if it's for dog food. Much better use of the items than 175 bars of soap at home!
Old June 20th, 2011, 06:51 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
I am with you 14+K. (see I value your opinion.)
Thanks mf. It means a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
I agree also, donate anything you can get in excess. If couponing is your ball game, go for it, but be reasonable. Yeah like I want a box of cereal that's been on my shelf for the past 8 months . If you have the time and energy to do this, absolutely, then donate it to the food bank or a homeless shelter, or a pet shelter if it's for dog food. Much better use of the items than 175 bars of soap at home!
That is exactly what I mean!

Old June 22nd, 2011, 01:11 AM

Quote:
+1

It happening in Canada too. Whole forum based on scamming with coupons and bragging about their hoard. Like wth would anyone do with 200 boxes of ziploc bags and 60 deoderants? Just greed by people that don't have anything else to fill their days with. All headed to the landfill eventually.

At least some of the stores are already changing policies to put a stop to the worst of it
Old June 22nd, 2011, 05:46 PM

I use a local non-profit org dedicated to feeding animals to help me feed my feral cat colony. I get about 200lbs of food every 5 weeks or so and this org relies on animal food donations from local business', large chain or small indy. They also rely on individual members of my community.