Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 8th, 2010, 03:05 PM

Red face Help!! Fostering a cat for a few weeks!!

Hey guys,

Ok, I need a bit of help here... long story short, next Sunday I am going to be fostering a cat for a few weeks until the humane society I work with can take her in. I have never owned a cat before, nor do I have much knowledge or experience with them, I just couldn't see the poor thing end up at the SPCA where she will be PTS. I don't know much about her... (this happened all of a sudden!)... except she is a year old and spayed. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!

My main concern is my dogs... B and Furby are not good around cats (usually run after the farm cats at my place etc, etc), Sassy is okay... she hasn't been around them very much but ignores them for the most part. Will the cat ! be ok if I designate a room to her where I can put her litter box, food, water etc. so she isn't eaten alive by my monsters? Haha!

Thanks guys... despite not knowing a thing about cats, I am really excited to take this girl in and give her a temporary home and who knows... she may make a cat lover out of me yet!

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old February 8th, 2010, 03:10 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Will the cat ! be ok if I designate a room to her where I can put her litter box, food, water etc. so she isn't eaten alive by my monsters? Haha!

Yes, she will. And will thank you for not letting the dogs near her.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 8th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Location: small, decrepit-but improving!-farm in Southern Ontario
Thumbs up

Ditto, what eminent cat source 14+, said . Great of you to take this cat in-even as a foster-and maybe you WILL become a feline fan! Have fun, and don't hesitate to post again if any concerns arise...some very helpful catslaves on the BB, fer sure!!
Old February 9th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Absolutely, the cat would rather be alone in a room feeling safe and secure than to be stressed and around people

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 10th, 2010, 01:58 AM

Question

Thanks for the tips, guys!

Obviously, I will still go in the room lots and play with her and interact with her, but I have a "dog owner's mind" in that I feel somewhat bad for leaving her in a room, instead of giving her free range of the house... however, it will be much safer and less hectic if she does! And I understand cats are more independant than dogs, so I'm sure it won't hurt her feelings!

I will keep you guys posted as things go!

Also, one last quick question... I'm sure this varies from cat to cat, but should I be concerned/prepared for the possibility of her spraying? A girl I work with (not a very reliable source mind you) was very insistant that if their have been cats in the home before (and I am not sure, as I rent) that the cat may spray and she advised me to remove all the furniture out of the room. She also said that if the cat is bored, it may tear up carpet, the door etc. this sounds very extreme to me, but not knowing cats I'm not really sure... I was planning on picking her up some toys and a scratching post to keep her busy. Any thoughts!?

Thanks again!

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old February 10th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Your kitty should have some type of scratching post, it is a cat's instinct to stretch their claws after they wake up and when they get excited. It is also a way to leave their scent. Do you know anybody with a cat who can lend you one for the time you have this kitty? If possible I would place it in the window so the kitty can look outside during the day.

My cats will use both their cat stands and the rugs to scratch but have never ruined a rug so if she is scratching your rug I woudn't worry too much about it (unless it is something very special, then you may want to remove it).

As for spraying, it is very rare for a female cat to spray, that is normally a trait of unaltered males.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 10th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Kitty pimp

Obviously, I will still go in the room lots and play with her and interact with her, but I have a "dog owner's mind" in that I feel somewhat bad for leaving her in a room, instead of giving her free range of the house... however, it will be much safer and less hectic if she does! And I understand cats are more independant than dogs, so I'm sure it won't hurt her feelings!

leave r adio playing softly and have her owner bring a worn t shirt with her/his scent on it
Old February 10th, 2010, 08:27 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

If it will set your mind to rest about any leftover urine in the room you are putting the cat in you could invest in a black light. It will show you if there is any urine deposits any where in the room. You can then use an ammonia free cleaner and clean any areas you find. It may not be cat urine. It may be dog urine that sets her off. But in all likelyhood if you have done a thorough cleaning job since you have moved in you don't have to worry. L4 is right about it being mostly males who "may" spray. They are more territorial.
Sounds like your co worker is not a cat lover. So many fallacies are perpetrated about cats it's no wonder they have the rep they do.
Definitely a scratching post placed near a bright window so she can enjoy the view is needed. Jim's soft music playing is great too. She may scratch the door frame a little as cats like the feel of wood under their claws but I don't imagine she will do much damage. If you are worried about the carpet in the room put a sheet down over it. I would think the first little while she will probably be hiding under whatever furniture she can get under. It's a normal thing.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 10th, 2010, 09:04 AM

If she does start scratching somewhere inappropriate, put aluminum foil or double sided tape over that area, and move the cratching post over there instead of wherever you have it.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old February 11th, 2010, 01:01 AM

Thanks for all the great tips guys I will keep you posted with how she does!!

And 14+, the scary thing is my co-worker OWNS 2 cats (which is why I asked her for some advice also - figured she would have some constructive advice to offer) but doesn't surprise me she was off the mark with this, she is very uneducated/naive whatever you want to call it about most things pet (i.e. still won't believe me when I explain to her where pet stores get puppies from etc.)