Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pets that have passed away - Rainbow bridge

Old July 9th, 2005, 02:47 PM

Brooklyn's gone over the bridge

A very swift and sudden decline in health had me rushing Brook to the vet this morning. Turns out he had "masses" in his stomach. He was given a 1% chance of recovery, and that would only buy him more time, while being on chemotheraputic meds for the rest of his life.

So I held his little head in my hands and helped him pass peacefully over the bridge. He's gone to be with his good friend, Murphy, our dog who passed a couple of years ago from brain tumors (again, very sudden and unexpected). Coincidentally enough, they were both just over 11 years old that the time of their passing.

I say farewell to the best cat in the world. Fully clawed and capable of defending himself, he nonetheless never raised so much as one claw in anger towards the children or the new puppy. Instead, he put up with their "tender" minstrations with a long-suffering expression on his face and a resonating purr in his throat.

Goodbye, sweet Brooklyn. Say hello to Murphy for me.

A huge thank you to the vets and staff at Allandale Veterinary Clinic here in Barrie. They took care of my children for me while I helped Brooklyn on his way, and were exceedingly gentle and compassionate in my moments of uncontrollable grief.
Old July 9th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

so terribly sorry....

My heartfelt sorrow goes out to you for the loss of your pet. So sad that he is gone. You were a great owner to him, remember that! You did all good and loving things for him. My condolences. :sad:
Old July 9th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Senior Contributor

I am SOOOOOOOOOOO very sorry for you loss.My heart goes out to you and your family.

RIP Sweet Brooklyn.

Old July 9th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Oh no, I am so terribly sorry to hear that. It is wonderful that you were there with Brooklyn, Writing.

I'm so sorry, you must be so very sad!

((((BIG SQUISHY HUGS))))
Old July 9th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so very sorry for your loss. Brooklyn sounds like she was incredible and wonderful kitty!!
Old July 9th, 2005, 03:42 PM

Thanks for your support, everyone.

Yes, Brooklyn was a very special kitty. :love: The kids adored him (one of the baby's first words was "kitty!"). He was originally picked up as a "pet" for our Murphy. They were great together (although I don't think Murph was overly fond of the kitten stage). Once he outgrew the tendancy to attack your toes in the middle of the night, though, he turned out to be a very patient and loving cat, welcoming two children and another puppy into our home without so much as turning a whisker. Our 6 year old has already renamed one of his stuffed cat's "Brooklyn".

Luba, I had to do it. I had to stay with him. When Murphy died, I was such an emotional wreck that I couldn't stay with her, and I've regretted it every day since then. I felt I owed it to both of them to be with him when it happened. :sad: The vet prepared me for the worst, but he passed very peacefully and quickly and knowing that he'll always have a place in my heart. My first and only cat. Nothing will ever replace that.

ETA: It's funny... my vet said I could call her any time if I needed support or to talk or anything. I told her I had a great support group in place, this board that I belong to, filled to the brim with animal lovers who I know will sympathise with me, let me cry on their collective shoulders, and cry along with me. Folks can say what they will about this board, but it's times like these that really show its true worth.

Last edited by Writing4Fun; July 9th, 2005 at 03:45 PM.
Old July 9th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Senior Contributor

W4F,I too am very sorry for your loss of Brooklyn and I am glad you were there for him when he took his last breath.
I held four of my cats in my arms when they quietly passed away,no pain no terror..yes,it was heartbreaking,but a wonderful,peaceful way for the cat to cross.You were a wonderful mom and I know you'll miss him dearly,it's a life lost,a life that cannot be replaced or forgotten...but Brook is at peace,no more pain.
Old July 9th, 2005, 06:50 PM

That's so sad. What a terrific kitty. I'm sorry for your loss.
Old July 11th, 2005, 10:31 AM

I am so terribly sorry for your loss,My families deepest sympathy goes out to you and yours.
Old July 11th, 2005, 10:48 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Writing4fun, I am so very sorry for your loss. I know from experience the sudden loss of a pet is so difficult to deal with. At least you were the last face that Brooklyn saw before he passed and you were there to comfort him as he did. My deepest heart felt sympathies to you and your family.
Old July 11th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh W4F!!! I am so very sorry! (((((HUGS)))))

RIP dear Brooklyn! :sad:
Old July 11th, 2005, 11:06 AM

That's so sad. I'm sorry for your loss.

RIP Brooklyn.
Old July 11th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

W4F, I am so very sorry for your loss, and my thoughts are with you and your family.

I am so glad you held your baby, and were there with Brooklyn, to help him pass on to the other side.

RIP sweet Brooklyn. You are an angel now watching over your loving family.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old July 11th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Senior Contributor

W4F, I'm so sorry to hear of Brooklyn's passing. You were there for her, but I know how difficult it was for you.
Old July 12th, 2005, 01:07 AM
banned user

Heartbreaking! I'm terribly sorry :sad: .

You were very strong to do what you did for Brooklyn. May he rest peacefully.
Old July 21st, 2005, 10:00 AM
Senior Contributor

OH - I am so very sorry to hear of your loss! R.I.P. Brooklyn. You were a very special kitty and will never be forgotten.
Old August 3rd, 2005, 08:45 PM

I picked up Brooklyn's remains today. :sad: A question for those of you who have had your pets cremated: What have you done with your urns? Are they up on a mantle, stored away for safe keeping, or did you bury them in a garden somewhere?

I have to say once more how much I love my vet's office. Regardless of what you want to do with your pet's remains (burial, cremation or other), they will also give you their own little tribute. They gave me a ceramic heart with Brook's paw-print and his name written in glitter on it. They also gave me a sympathy card with a packet of forget-me-not seeds to plant in his memory. :love:
Old August 3rd, 2005, 09:43 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

For me my beloved Rusty is in a beautiful little urn in the living room on the wall unit next to his picture. He spent most of his time with us there, and we still have him there now

Just do what your heart feels, you will make the right choice for yourself!!