Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 19th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh KK, I feel sick and so sad. :sad: I hope that stupid woman and those 2 vets get thrown in jail for what she made that poor horse suffer!! And I hope the vets get their licenses pulled!! :sad:

Thanks so much for trying to help Monte. And please don't beat yourself up, U did what u could.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old December 19th, 2009, 11:29 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

KK. That must have been horrible for you.
Monte You are in a better place now.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 20th, 2009, 12:46 AM

:sad:

sweet Monte He is racing at the Rainbow Bridge with those who've gone before

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old December 21st, 2009, 05:19 PM

Angry

OMG, how horrible for that poor horse and poor you, and your hubby and all. Animal an abuse and neglect laws seem so hard to enforce, especially with large animals, from what I've heard.

I hope Monty is grazing on grass that will always be lush and green, and Ihope that the stupid, cruel girl who was the final straw for a hard luck (and so underserving of it)horse, suffers in some way herself.

, noble horse.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 02:18 AM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Location: small, decrepit-but improving!-farm in Southern Ontario
...you BB'ers sure don't let a person down /. I so appreciate the sooo kind and supportive comments. I haven't felt such helplessness, and grief, and anger, for a while; those two critical days with Monte at death's door really ripped me open.

It was such a relief to have 'Rescue Brenda' sail in on the second day, to sweet talk the family into signing poor Monte over, and have a trailer on the way. We knew he was in bad shape, but she's seen a lot; we were so hopeful he would make it.

Less than an hour before that gallant, so terribly mistreated horse went down, he visited with us, sniffing my face; he had such a weary, but kind aspect. And then, gone. He'd had SUCH a difficult life, working so hard, and being treated badly throughout the years.

Yet, those who emailed me, who knew him on the track at Ft. Erie, etc., all said he was a big sweetie...Monte was failed by pretty much EVERYone in his life-even me. Yes, he was in better shape in October, and his looney 'saviour' (that's rich) and her family had me running for cover, after providing food/blacksmith/advice.

If, if, if. If only. I would sooo wade in there, and hang the consequences. Winston, I like what you said about Monte opening a door...I am darn well walking through it. I may have to moderate my current 'avenging angel' feelings, but I've already taken some steps.

Partly because of the high profile thread on 'the' horse BB, when I desperately sought help last week, the South. Ont. Thoroughbred Ass. is moving on developing a 'second career' program, out of Ft. Erie. Monte Devil is free of pain, and cruel humans, but his name lives on-along with his spirit.

I also met a really nice 'horsey' neighbour, who has 3 rescued standardbreds, and knows 'Rescue Brenda' well; we're going to work on some local stuff. She too, saw Monte in the early fall as she drove by...and wishes she'd stopped. ...RIP, Monte, Unforgotten.

On a bit of a lighter note (for a heavy hearted time), Tally is doing very well; every day, his assimilation into the household moves ahead. He is still a very BUSYBUSY boy, i.e. "Who WAS that masked cat?? He's in the kitchen, he's in the living room...he's TALLYMAN !!" Wowza.

I thought I was on track for the holidays, sort of, until today; I suddenly thought, OMG. So, lots to do, but wanted to wish EVERYONE-both 2 and 4 legged-a good holiday, and all the best. I'll post some pics of Tally and Sadie, in one of their nutty WWF 'cage matches'...
Old December 23rd, 2009, 02:29 AM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Smile

Tally & Sadie...what a pair...p.s. the cage door is open!
Attached Images

Old December 23rd, 2009, 08:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Aww K-K,I love those 2.it's amazing they bonded so quickly

As for Monte,his death lies only on the shoulders of those horrid owners
Monte waited to give up until someone was there,to give him some tender love.
After that he was ready to leave and become an angel,no pain,no hunger and no evil people
Old December 23rd, 2009, 06:26 PM
Senior Contributor

KK,,, I love your Odd couple. They are so sweet and look like they are having so much fun!!

Just thinking about Monte makes me feel like I'm going to be sick. Is that woman going to be charged?

to you!

Debbie

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old December 30th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Critter Cult Peon!!

...hope everyone/every critter is having a good holiday sort-of-time. Thanks again for all the kind replies regarding the 'Monte tragedy.' Still kind of processing that whole dogawful experience; I am looking forward to the New Year, in terms of pursuing the matter (calls to vet clinic and College of Vets, that I couldn't follow up on fully, and contact with Rescue Brenda, re: what she might know).

Thank you for the above galloping horse, deuxchico...it's beautiful, and evokes what must have been Monte's better days, poor guy. And TQ, I AM looking forward to 2010, for more than simply my Monte Mission, but I'm also itching to talk to some folks, to find out more about vet culpability (failure to report neglect vis a vis physical exam, mismanagement of case), and the idiot 'rescuer'. I'll post as soon as I have more info-likely not until a bit into the New Year.

I'm in a bit of a holiday lull at the moment, after a hectic few days with family/neigbour visiting stuff, but thought I'd post some related pics, which will follow...
Old December 30th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Smile

Les animaux have all had a fairly jolly holiday, thus far...skiing, skating, shopping, and the like , whilst I hold down the fort (litter scooping, meal making et al.). Sparky did have to vacate the recently 'made habitable' guest room for a few days, during which time he alternated between the general household, and Big Roy's Big Crate; more feasible than hauling another cat cage from the porch.

The big [feline] guy wasn't thrilled, as he already regards the spare room as his turf, but all is back to what passes for normal around these here parts. I'm posting one pic of Sparky resting on his litter box, chez crate (I don't think he appreciated the v. un-macho pink ), one of Tallylad playing with a birdtoy (after knocking over the symbolic seasonal tree on the dining table ), and one of Roy, after the turkey dinner (DH was insulting my Swiss heritage by paraphrasing a Swiss cookbook, and Roy was BORED )...

p.s. the Tally & Sadie Show continues-those two are simply LOOPY!
Attached Images

Last edited by kashtin's kin; December 30th, 2009 at 02:13 AM.
Old December 30th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Senior Contributor

KK,LOVE Sparky and the little trouble maker Tallyladdy
Roy has a wonderful Lab-face,very kissable
It will be interesting to hear if anything can be done to take Montes "owners"to task for what they did to Monte and the vet who was supposed to have seen him
Old January 4th, 2010, 02:25 AM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Smile

Sooo, Monday I'll be able to try to start asking some questions regarding the ill-fated/late racehorse 'Monte Devil'; there are some advantages-hopefully -to having my JRT/reporter traits. Such as...tenacity, curiosity et al. Over the holidays, I cobbled together an 8 1/2 x 11 poster of sorts, regarding Monte's life and death, to put up in horse-y businesses and suchlike. It felt good to be able to take some sort of positive action.

On the small critter 'front,' Tally is keeping us on our toes. With 7 cats/2 dogs/2 humans living in about 800 sq. ft., there's always something interesting going on...and that cheeky kitty just makes things that much more exciting. EEEEE. I've got a bit of a carpal tunnel thingy recurring (although not as bad as Friday, when I had to get DH to zip up my barn coat in order to do chores-yikes ), so will just post some pics...

Trust everyone had a good holiday, and all have been able to keep warm (I'm sure Tundra Queen-minus 40?! memories of Winterpeg...and Timmins!-would snicker at the thought of Southern Ontario 'softies' shivering in -10 to 15ish temps ).

Last edited by kashtin's kin; January 4th, 2010 at 03:01 AM.
Old January 4th, 2010, 02:48 AM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Smile

Okay, so the sight of the open oven-again -will ensure that 14+ brings her own vittles when she visits in April(??). I still maintain that it's healthier to have an, um, spattered oven, than to inhale oven cleaner (sorry, mom). Anyhow, the oven pic shows MM on the door...while the oven is on it's 200 degree heat-the-house setting.

We most definitely do not leave the appliance unattended when on, and of course, have the 'Tally-gate' in place. MM is 'shoo-ed!!' off the door at all times (he usually hangs out underneath); I took this quick pick when DH was out of the room . Since MM just started living in the house, proper, last spring/summer (along with WW), I was surprised at his conversion to HEAT...

The other 2 pics feature Tally-in-Action: checking out a container that previously held a cake (yummmm...tiny crump of leftover icing ), and in the kitchen sink (well, Goose has dibs on the bathroom sink ). Tally just LOVES to leap into the sink, and hunker down; it's one of his manymany 'foxholes,' from which he launches impromptu and often slightly disastrous attacks on all and sundry.

(By 'disastrous', I just mean knocking stuff over, totally missing his target...but it doesn't matter, because within 30 seconds the little nut has circumnavigated the entire house-twice?!!? Tally doesn't look back, so no regrets; there may be a lesson in that??)
Attached Images

Old January 4th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Red face

p.s. Sparky, who as a mature cat, is a good 16ish lbs. of muscle, has decided to do headstands on my lap-Goose is safe in the bathroom-and is proving quite a distraction . Re: above pic of Tally on table , I meant to note the spray [water] bottle in the foreground. T-man IS learning not to mock attack, esp. certain cats, etc., but he does get a bit wet on occasion (he's finally starting to associate the water with ME , and responding more to er, verbal cues i.e. "TALLY-NOOOO!").
Old January 5th, 2010, 12:15 AM
Senior Contributor

[QUOTE=kashtin's kin;

Trust everyone had a good holiday, and all have been able to keep warm (I'm sure Tundra Queen-minus 40?! memories of Winterpeg...and Timmins!-would snicker at the thought of Southern Ontario 'softies' shivering in -10 to 15ish temps ).[/QUOTE]

I heard there was whimpering going on in this thread about some cold temps sin southern Ontario? *putting a nice warm blankiet over poor old KK's shoulders and passing her a nice cup of hot cholcolate with extra mashmellows*

You big baby! It's -40C up here and -40C IS -40F!

Temp where kids learn reallllllll fast not to stick their tongues on metal stuff!

KK, I love the pics of Tally, he is such a sweetie. He sort of looks like my Mr. O'Shawnnessey, who is a monkey butt too!

Debbie

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old January 5th, 2010, 02:36 AM

Tally is an adorable little fluffernut MM musta been watching Tally in the kitchen & figured that was a good spot to snooze

Old January 12th, 2010, 01:45 AM
Critter Cult Peon!!

I just clicked on here to post, automatically (that's what conditioning will do for you)...then suddenly wondered if I should be posting in the health forum; since I'm here already, maybe I'll outline things quickly-or as briefly as I can.

One of our senior cats-Goose, the bathroom sink diva-has fairly suddenly increased her water intake. This would seem to indicate kidney complications, so I'm making a vet app't for Tues. or Wed.

We have experienced somewhat similar symptom development in our senior critters, but it's been a while; I do recall some 'differential diagnoses'. I'm always concerned, but even more so in the case of Goose, as she's always been quite frail.

(Well, tough and stubborn as all get out in the psychological sense; we adopted her as a young cat, after she'd 'played chicken' with a car, and come out of it with some neurological damage...)

I'm also worried, as my super vet s-i-l avec 'diplomate' et al. even had an ultimately swiftly terminal kidney situation sneak up on her in her own housecat. It would seem things can get bad, fast, without a lot of prior indication, even with a regular geriatric test battery.

While we wait for the vet app't, I was just wondering if anyone has dealt with a similar scenario (I know I'm sort of speculating, not being a vet, of course), and if so, what their experience may have been?

Thanks, and sorry for the sombre tone...

p.s. Tally is as entertaining as ever, just hard to appreciate as much at the moment.
Old January 12th, 2010, 02:25 AM

Hey KK, generally speaking increased water intake does point towards kidney issues especially in our seniors, though there are other possibilities ie diabetes, HyperThyroid etc., so if you can get a urine test done at the same time as a blood test you'll be a step ahead.

If it is a kidney issue, depending on severity they can live many many happy years. My senior grrl was diagnosed with Chronic Renal Failure in 2007 (food recall issue) and she's going strong

for Gooses' tests

Old January 13th, 2010, 01:27 AM
Senior Contributor

KK, I'm sorry to hear Goose is drinking more water. I know your worried about kidney problems,,,but could it be from dry air in the house? Your furnace is working now isn't it so it might be making the air too dry for her? I know it's a stretch but I always try to be optimistic.

Debbie

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old January 13th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Smile

Well, the news for 'today', at least, was not so awful (can never remember to follow that "don't borrow trouble" advice...though there was certainly cause for concern re: Goose). I so appreciate your input, growler . It was encouraging, and helpful in that I made sure to ask for both blood and urine tests, etc.

As it turned out, for a senior cat with longterm neurological challenges...Goose is actually not in such bad shape, particularily with regard to kidneys-and no signs of diabetes. It was a great relief to see the 'ever reliable/compassionate with sense of humour when appropriate' Dr. Geoff (I only wish everyone could have such a vet...and GP ).

We will continue to keep a close eye on Goose, and all the other animules-does one have a choice -but it's nice to sidestep a potentially much sadder outcome once in a while. ...Maybe just try to live in the present, for a little bit, anyhow.

Goose thoroughly enjoyed her day out; it was nice and sunny for the 3hour roundtrip (some HUGE turbine thingy was ahead of us, with a police escort on the way back, so slooow). We've always known Goostiani would FAR prefer to be an only cat...good luck with that (she had been up for adoption for AGES when she found us , as her post car run-in issues were a bit challenging to the uninitiated).

Anyway, I'm grateful for the good day I had with our lil' ol' ruffled! grouse/Goose, and many thanks, again, growler .

p.s. thanks for your post, Tundra Queen; I guess we were 'emails passing in the night' heehee. Are you on here in between making snow angels at minus 40??!! (BTW, we haven't even turned on our boiler/radiator system yet-and it was all of oooo 15 below last Sat.!-what with our insulation job being so effective...all that dust and sweat from blowing cellulose stuff into the walls etc. paid off! Mind you, we do turn on ye old stove powered by our 'free' haha natural gas well intermittently; must be warm enough, since the feline tribe haven't served us with a complaint...their [on retainer] lawyer, Sadie JRT/LLB, is only too quick to act.)

Last edited by kashtin's kin; January 13th, 2010 at 01:46 AM.
Old January 13th, 2010, 01:40 AM

Good to hear no pressing issues for Goose

Old January 13th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Senior Contributor

K-K,glad to hear little Goose is ok,my Chico is also drinking more than normal,as soon as I am able he'll see the vet too
Old January 13th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashtin's kin View Post
p.s. thanks for your post, Tundra Queen; I guess we were 'emails passing in the night' heehee. Are you on here in between making snow angels at minus 40??!! (BTW, we haven't even turned on our boiler/radiator system yet-and it was all of oooo 15 below last Sat.!-what with our insulation job being so effective...all that dust and sweat from blowing cellulose stuff into the walls etc. paid off! Mind you, we do turn on ye old stove powered by our 'free' haha natural gas well intermittently; must be warm enough, since the feline tribe haven't served us with a complaint...their [on retainer] lawyer, Sadie JRT/LLB, is only too quick to act.)
I'm glad Mz Goose is doing ok! Maybe she was just thirsty from her night out boozing and carousing with the boys. Ya know that morning after thirst.

How did u know I was out making snow angels? I take Tegan out with me so that when I'm finished flopping around in the snow, I can hold onto her and she helps me up again! LOL
It's not too cold today though, a nice balmy -3C!! Time for shorts! LOL

Debbie

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old January 15th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Smile

Goose-crabby though she may sound -thanks you great gals for your good wishes. One never knows what tomorrow etc. may bring, but we're just glad to have her home, and comfy . She truly enjoyed her 'spa day', and has been touring the house with her customary slightly lurchy swagger!

As Tally approaches app. 7 mos., he is as much of a crazy livewire as usual...no slowing down for this growing-like-a-bad-weed fella. He continues to move at the speed of light, and although Sadie JRT ALSO moves at that speed (I've never taken so many blurry pics-note to self: learn about that shutter speed stuff !), she does tend to slow down later at night.

Actually, she's not much of a morning pup, either ! Anyhow, she was deep in sleep on a cushion a few hours ago, and Tally-who'd been playing solo in Sparky's room for a while, to give us all a break!-reappeared, intent on provoking la dozey Sadie into yet ANOTHER wrestling match.

When Sadie's alert, watch out , but she was intent on resting, so of course T-Lad just leapt on top of her and started gnawing rather enthusiastically on one of her legs (I put the camera away at that point, in order to rescue poor Saduschka). Pics of T, Goose, and 'Tally Met Sadie' to follow.

p.s. TQ, somehow I just picture you-and Tegan-as snow angel types...although by now, would it be mud angels??
Old January 15th, 2010, 01:29 AM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Smile

Hopefully, I'll get these pics right (the one of the 'reluctant wrestling match' IS blurry )...
Attached Images

Old January 15th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Awwwwwmwhat a littleT-Man is,but soooo cuteas is little Sadie
Old January 16th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Senior Contributor

[QUOTE=kashtin's kin;

p.s. TQ, somehow I just picture you-and Tegan-as snow angel types...although by now, would it be mud angels??[/QUOTE]

No, not mud angels we still have about a foot of the stuff and more to come today. But that's ok, I'd rather have the snow with the nice temps than no snow with the -40's. I'm sending the -40's down to you.

those pics of Tally and Sadie are cute...though I can't seem to find Tally's head... I love the one of him playing with the platform toy, what a little imp he is. I'm so glad Sadie doesn't get mad at him and nip him when he dive bombs her when she is sleepin... little

Debbie

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old January 21st, 2010, 07:51 PM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Smile

Nothing too dramatic, of late...unless you count living with the AMAZING Feline ZORRO !! Wow, I thought the 'Two Peppers' had the Kitty Cirque du Soleil title of the decade, but Tally seems to be in a class of his own . In the Peter Seller 'Pink Panther' movies, he would soooo be the scarily gymnastic 'Kato' [sp.?], to the Inspector Clouseau character. EEEEEEE.

I'm still clinging to the hope that since Sparky was such an amiable young fella (turned uber predator )...Tally will settle down, and be a NICE mature cat...eventually !! We totally enjoy T's off-the-wall (literally!) antics, but are glad he likes to play in Sparky's room, when available (stuffed with cat toys). And Tally still spends the night in his nicely furnished bach pad.

On the senior front, in light of Goose's frailty, DH and I relinquished our beloved 'litter box free for 2? months' bathroom. Crazy dream ; what were we THINKING?? Seriously, it beats keeping an eagle eye on La Goostiani every single minute she's OUT of the b'room...especially since a certain mischievous kitten delights in ambushing those engaged in l'box pursuits (with much 'direction', he's getting less rascally, in that context!).

I honestly do think kittens would be a lot better off if they weren't so adorable (as I've no doubt already mentioned ); then, hopefully less people would "get a CUTE kitty", and then not give a lifetime committment to a mature cat...thus perhaps resulting in less uncontrolled breeding, simply because there would be less felines?? Well , I never said I was a genius, or an expert in logic!!

T-Gallery to follow...do NOT be deceived by apparent innocent appearances!!

Last edited by kashtin's kin; January 21st, 2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old January 21st, 2010, 08:05 PM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Smile

Just occured to me that these shots of Tally make him look positively pensive, when in fact he is most often found launching 'high flying/all 4 paws outstretched' aerial attacks on people/dogs/cats (I swear, he is part flying squirrel!!)...

...one pic of T, relaxing!! beside a pony bucket on the table; one of T, atop a water bucket, atop a stool (king o' the castle x 2); and one of T in Roy's cage (a/k/a kitty playpen), gnawing on one of his many playthings. I really need to learn to take HIGH SPEED pics!!
Attached Images

Old January 21st, 2010, 10:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Gee KK, I think he looks like an angel...are u sure your not exaggerating all his bad habits? *G* He looks pretty innocent to be such a little Such a sweet kitty.

He sure looks like he has grown a lot, or maybe that is just a close up?

Debbie

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~