Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old March 2nd, 2008, 11:46 AM
Senior Contributor

what to do

ok i am having delemma. Chris found a golden this morning it was dirty, gross and full of mats. We assumed it had been away from its owner for quite some time. I called animal care and control they said there was no reports of a missing goldens lately.
We give the dog a bath and chris spends HOURS brushing him to get most of the matts out of his fur.

Then i get a phone call, "hi i heard you found me's dog" yes thats how he talked
I asked the owner to describe him, he says hes a golden lab. a fluff ball. I ask for more details he says well you know hes just a big fluff ball... nothing else. the guy also tells me it just got out at 2:30 am this morning!!! the dog was filthy!!!
I ask for the dogs name he give it to me, I tell the guy i am working and will call him when i am done.
the dog does not reposnd to his name was completely gross, smelled horrible was filthy and obviously hadnt been groomed in months... Im tempted to tell the guy it isnt his dog. (which i am not convinced it is)
what do I do???? the dog is obviously not cared for!!!!! but i doubt that animal control will do anything about that!
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old March 2nd, 2008, 11:56 AM
-

This guy sounds like a to me. And it doesn't sounds like this is his dog ... he's trying to get a golden free perhaps ? I would place this dog into a rescue instead. Just tell this guy the golden ran away from your house.

I think you already know rescues in your areas but if you need help , pm me.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 11:59 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I agree with Frenchy! It just sounds too fishy...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 2nd, 2008, 01:12 PM
Senior Contributor

i second frenchy..just tell him the dog ran away.

It just sounds tooo wrong...how could a 'fluffball' gone for so little time have sooooooo many matts and be so dirty...plus ud think it would know it's name?
Old March 2nd, 2008, 01:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Ask the guy what color the dog is when you call him back. Goldens come in all shades from almost white to almost red. Then LIE! Tell the guy he has a great white patch on his chest or something. Then get the poor dog to a rescue.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 01:34 PM
Senior Contributor

He is either not able to care for his dog properly or seeking a free golden and at that does not sound like he understands dog care so I too would say either the owner showed up and the dog recognized them or he ran away - some story.

Good luck!!
Old March 2nd, 2008, 01:58 PM

did you take pics before the bath & brush out?

any chance you can check w/your vet & see if this one has a tattoo/microchip? Maybe the real owners moved & he got lost trying to go back home?

the guy on the phone def not the owner

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old March 2nd, 2008, 02:05 PM
-

This is definitely not that 's dog. Everyone has given you excellent suggestions. Tell him the dog got loose or whatever but don't release it to him. See if the dog is microchipped or tattooed and then go from there.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 02:48 PM

Well he has to PROVE it's his dog so if the dog has no tattoo, no chip, no tag, he will need a photo of him and this dog or something, if the dog isn't responding to the name given well it's not his dog IMO.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 03:23 PM
Senior Contributor

This sounds oddly familiar to when my brother found a dog in London about a year and a half ago. The pup was in good condition but he got 2 calls from a guy claiming it was his dog...ended up finding the real owners that night
Old March 2nd, 2008, 04:11 PM
Senior Contributor

I wouldn't give him the dog. It sounds fishy to me too. Besides, how is he going to know where you live or anything. If it is his dog then he's not doing a very good job of taking care of him.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old March 2nd, 2008, 04:50 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with the others,I don't know what this mans motive would be to lie,but there are a lot of weirdos out there.
I am glad the pup was found by Chris and has been cleaned up,a lot of mats and dirt does not just happen overnight.
I would definetly check for tatoos or microchip.
Ooops,the pup just ran away,sorry guy!!
Old March 2nd, 2008, 04:57 PM
Love my Shi-tzu's

Shouldn't be so quick to judge,
Maybe the Guy did loose his dog at 2:50 am,
Maybe it's another golden, He's just assuming this one was his,
I have known people who sounded like this on the phone, But were honest good people who loves there animals,
And then the guy could be a complete jerk, But don't judge what you don't know, another case is just that, another case,
If you talk to the guy again and if your unsure its his dog,
Ask questions, Like the color of its hair, or try a trick question,
Like could you tell me which ear has a big scar on the back of it,
Or ask what happened to the dogs tail, looks like an old scar,
How often do you shave your dogs hair, Kinda cold for them outthere this time of year, Wait for his responses to these question, it'll tell you if its really his dog or not,
there is lots of things you can say in a conversation that will tell you if its really his dog or not. and if you deem it is his "per his answers", then maybe dig deeper into why the dog was so matted, If you feel strongly on its condition, Then turn it over to the proper authorities and let them decide as to his getting the dog back or not,
Old March 2nd, 2008, 05:13 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicklet View Post
Then turn it over to the proper authorities and let them decide as to his getting the dog back or not,
Oh because you think the "proper authorities" would protect this dog ? Are you kidding me ? I've seen abuse dogs go back to their owners because there is no laws here to protect them or because these so call "authorities" say they don't have enough proof. Please !
Old March 2nd, 2008, 06:01 PM
Love my Shi-tzu's

Quote:
Oh because you think the "proper authorities" would protect this dog ? Are you kidding me ? I've seen abuse dogs go back to their owners because there is no laws here to protect them or because these so call "authorities" say they don't have enough proof. Please !
Well I guess thats all we need to become Judge, Jury and executioner,

maybe since the law is so useless to each our opinions of right and wrong,
Then we should have no law.

Putting pets aside, Criminals go free everyday,
We do not live in a perfect world, But we do have Authorities for a reason,
Let them do their job,

Seems every where you turn your quick to hear all the negative sides to anything,
Where oh where has the positive side gone, look for the good, maybe sometime you might find your pet in someone else's hands, and your dog that is matted in such a short time or whatever the case may be, there may be extenuating circumstances involved,
You'd sure what your chance of getting your pet back,

May not even be his pet in the first place, a nice conversation on the phone with him can clear that up quickly.

as for the proper authorities, I mentioned that, because if it turns out that it is his dog, and she feels she can't deal with it, That is what their there for.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 06:09 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicklet View Post
Let them do their job,
Wow , I had to look at where you lived , because you seem to be living in a dream. I guess you are not aware of how animal laws works here. Reality check is in order.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 06:18 PM
Love my Shi-tzu's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Wow , I had to look at where you lived , because you seem to be living in a dream. I guess you are not aware of how animal laws works here. Reality check is in order.

Like the man who thought anyone that does not have plenty of money and contributes in great detail should be shot,
Or the City slicker who read a few books about farming and actually thought they were gonna tell the farmer how to farm,
or maybe the gentleman that said anyone over 50 should be shot,
wonder howed he'd feel now since he's well into his 50's

I guess you guys have just cause for being above the law here,

Go ahead Judge away.
and do Carry on, your on a roll. But don't forget to Check the mirror often,
Old March 2nd, 2008, 06:20 PM
-

As for you , try to walk into a rescuer's shoes for a couple of weeks !!
Old March 2nd, 2008, 07:38 PM
Senior Contributor

hey guys, so bad news....
I called the guy saying i need more ID then hes fluffy... he did identify him while swearing at me demanding to come pick him up. I told the guy i will not give him my address because he was being verbally aggressive towards me and i didn't feel safe with him knowing where i am, he called animal control who called me.

I have to bring the dog in tomorrow morning and they will give it back to him. they say i can call the humane society and they will do an investigation, but since the dog is all cleaned up nothing will probably happen. Although the guy does have a 2nd dog (the dog i have father)

Pretty much if I dont give the dog back i would be up for charges on stealing since dogs are considered property under the law.

So I have to give him back to this horrible horrible man (the more i spoke with him I started to realize he's an ass!)

Also the dog has a black mark/scar on his nose, he said its from his other dog but there arent any other marks on his nose and it looks like a cigarette burn.

Also the dog stilled smelled (of drugs no less) so he got a second bath, Chris and I have spent over 6 hours grooming and bathing this dog and he still smells a bit, but much better than he did.

Chris and i got all of the mats out and took him for a long walk with the others at the conservation area around here so at least he has a good day to remember. I bought him a harness and a leash and it took him a while to understand walking on a leash but he loved it once he understood it!

Chris and I drove past the man's house and he lives in a horrible area and has at least 300 beer cans laying around on his porch (no i am not exaggerating)
the dog isnt neutered so im sure he studs it out for a couple of hundred dollars just to get more beer/drug money!

I am so mad our system is so screwed up that a drug dealing animal abuser (at least of neglect!) gets his dog back !!! luckily the dog will have a safe warm place to spend atleast one day of his life at (or until i go and open the guys gate late in the night one time and sit there with my car door open and if they happen to jusp i its not my fault and ill just "forget" to call animal control!
Old March 2nd, 2008, 07:46 PM
-

If you know someone that can take the dog then just tell AC it escaped from your yard. What can they do if the dog isn't at your place?
Old March 2nd, 2008, 07:52 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
If you know someone that can take the dog then just tell AC it escaped from your yard. What can they do if the dog isn't at your place?
Yes please do. What if this guy beats the dog up just because he ran away ? please please don't give him back the dog !!!!!
Old March 2nd, 2008, 08:16 PM
Garden nut

Should have lied from the very beginning considering the general appearance and smell of the dog.

"Dog... what dog? Oh that one... well we tried to get it but it ran away."

Cigarette burn? OMG that's terrible!
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old March 2nd, 2008, 08:21 PM
Senior Contributor

well i didnt know at first we honestly thought that the dog was a dog that may have been missing for weeks and we just wanted to get him to his proper home. I wasnt there when chris found him, all chris knew was that he smelled, and was dirty and matted and we wanted to make him comfortable and find his home..... i dont have a yard the dog can escape from i live in an apartment.
Since i told the ACC I would take responsibility for the dog so if I loose him I will be held liable.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 08:28 PM
Senior Contributor

what to do

Please phone AC and tell them dog escaped and in the meantime put him in a safe house (relative) until you can turn him over to rescue. How many times I've had to do this to protect the animal, too many to count.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 08:38 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~michelle~ View Post
Since i told the ACC I would take responsibility for the dog so if I loose him I will be held liable.
But they can't do anything to you !!
Old March 2nd, 2008, 08:43 PM
Senior Contributor

i was told the guy could charge me he has my name and phone number
Old March 2nd, 2008, 08:49 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

His dog has a history of running away...who's to say it didn't happen again? How can he hold you responsible when it got away from him in the first place?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 2nd, 2008, 08:49 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I would not return the dog if you know of a rescue that will take him. Tell AC he ran when you let him out to go pee. They can't hold you liable for loosing a dog that isn't even yours. If you return the dog you have to live with returning him to conditions that you know are substandard.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 2nd, 2008, 08:50 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~michelle~ View Post
i was told the guy could charge me he has my name and phone number
What is he going to charge you with, loosing the dog that he lost??

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 2nd, 2008, 08:53 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Isn't there a member who is an animal control officer here in ON? ACC??. Maybe some advice from that person could help.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)