Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pets that have passed away - Rainbow bridge

Old May 27th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Run free precious angel

I’ve had one of the toughest days I’ve ever had in my life. Today as honey and I were coming home from lunch there were two small white dogs running along the side of the road. Of course we pull over to try and save them. We were able to get one right away, but ended up chasing the other one for about a half hour. With the help of others driving by and stopping, we did our best and almost had him in the corner of a field. It seemed as if we were about to succeed and he was calming down, until he just took off and ran into the road and was hit by a car. Me and another lady ran up to the dog (honey was following us in the car holding on to the other dog), where I picked up the dog from the middle of the road and brought him over to the side. He was still alive. The other lady who was helping chase him gave me a blanket to wrap him in. Blood was coming out of his nose and he was obviously dying. We brought him over to our car where this precious angel died in my arms. I did everything I could to help him pass in loving arms, but can’t help to feel guilty that I wasn’t able to save him. All we could do is wait for animal control to come to us. We weren’t in an area that we were familiar wit so we did not know where the closest vet was.

As we were waiting in the car for animal control to come with this angel in my lap and his sister in honey’s lap, a mother and her daughter come walking up the road with two leashes looking for their dogs. I had already been crying for about 45 minutes straight when we saw them. We tried to see if the woman would take her daughter home so we could explain what happened, but it was so hard because she didn’t speak English very well and through my tears I was unable to try to explain anything in Spanish. Eventually we were able to get her to understand what happened and her friend had walked up at that point and took the dog was alive and the woman with tears in her eyes took the precious angel from my arms.

If I only had my sneakers on instead of my flip flops maybe I could have been just that much faster to catch him. If I was only able to think as I was chasing him to yell sit or stop in Spanish, maybe he would have listened. If only….

RIP precious angel. Run free at the bridge angel. You didn’t die alone. I loved you for those last moments of your life.
Old May 27th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww, Jesse's mommy You did all that you could under the circumstances, and if you hadn't been there perhaps both of them would have been hit.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old May 27th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Flyball Mom

Exactly what I was thinking Stacer. Not only that, but as you said, he died in loving arms instead of alone as it could have been if you weren't there. :sad:

You did the best that you could and that's all that counts. Don't beat yourself up for what you were or weren't wearing or for not knowing what language the dog understood, that's out of your control.

Little guy.

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old May 27th, 2007, 03:53 PM
-

I was so scared to open this thread , I tought something had happened to Jesse ! But this is sooo sad too :sad: Please don't blame yourself ( I can't help but be mad , how the heck did the dogs end up there ? ) and now , because of owners who couldn't keep their dogs secure, one died . :sad: You did everything you could .
Old May 27th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG,what a terrible experience:sad:
I think you were there for a reason,other people might not have cared,you saved one little life and comforted another little one at his time of passing.
Old May 27th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Thank you for the comfort. I can't seem to stop crying.
Old May 27th, 2007, 04:43 PM

Aww, that must have been terrible. I'm so sorry you went through that. :sad:
Old May 27th, 2007, 04:50 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm so sorry, Jesse's mommy. It wasn't your fault and you did more than many people would to help. You lent her comfort when she needed it most. Now she's free.

Sometimes, crying is all you can do!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 27th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

I thought it was about Jesse.you did what you could and he didn't pass alone.
because you were there a loving caring person and i'm sorry you had to go through what you did.
Old May 27th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Helicopter Champion

So sorry to hear this, poor little pup. :sad: You did what many people wouldn't even consider - you tried to help them and get them out of danger. You did everything you could.
Gracie - 7 yr old tuxedo kitty

Monty - RIP buddy
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
"If cats could talk they would lie to you"
Old May 27th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Senior Contributor

So sad to hear. Poor little thing.:sad: You did what you could though
Old May 27th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

OMG what a horrible experience for you. Thank God you were there for that poor dog so he/she did not have to die alone. You are an angel for trying to help these poor lost dogs.
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Thank you so much everyone. My heart is completely broken over this and you are all so supportive. Thank you everyone on pets.ca
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:05 PM
-

aww poor Jesse's mommy :sad: it must be heartbreaking to witness something like that. It never happen to me, hope it never does. I'm so sorry
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Young at Heart

I am so sorry you had to experience such a tragic accident - but thankfully the little guy was able to pass over with love. You did all you could - and more!
Old May 28th, 2007, 04:16 PM
-

What a heart-wrenching experience. The little guy and his sister found an angel in you, your honey and the other woman for doing your very best.
Old May 28th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry you had to go through this but please know that you did as much as anyone could - some times things happen that are out of our control no matter how hard we try. I;d be a basket case if I did not believe that! Those dogs were lucky you and Honey came along - you saved one so you did some good!!! I know it's hard to watch animals die - or anyone for that matter - and I hope you can realize how much good you did and not emphasize on the negative aspects of the trauma. You are an and should be commended!! Take care of yourself!!
Old June 4th, 2007, 06:46 AM

God that's sad, but bless your heart that you went running after these babies to try to save them...that's what counts. I'm just glad that the dog died in loving arms. (Kiss Jezebel for me).
Sweet Baby

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied, "I created you." -The Animal's Savior, Copyright Jim Willis 1999