Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 18th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Husky Addict

Finding a dog friendly apartment (MTL)

Me and my boyfriend both agrees, our current apartment is a source of stress and a large can of poop between walls. (I won't go into details other than , hydro-electricity bill cost us 830 for two months this winter and that the landlady refuses to hire an electrician to know what the problem is, and that there was lies over lies from her part)

Now I don't mind not having services in an apartment, we're pretty handy our selves, but we aren't electrician (even though we do think we know the problem) but paying the expensive rent we are paying, we expect some sort of respect and services.

So now we are in the worse dilemma ever, we need to move in July (or less we're working with the Regie on her case actually, we can break the lease ^_^) but we can't seem to find any decent apartment that allow dogs and have a yard, sure there's tones of dog friendly apartment, but we need a yard for Titus.

Does anyone knows any place where they have good apartments listing fitting those points? :

Must have a yard (private or access to it, we don't let Titus run freely in the yard anyway)
First floor
2 or 3 bedroom.
No carpet
Close to the Orange line, relatively close to downtown.
Dog friendly (I'm willing to sacrifice a lot, but my dog isn't in that lot)
Dog park near, or at least a huge park so we can make him run on leash

Or if anyone knows a landlord, we're good payer (can pay up for 950 rent assuming the effin hydro doesn't cost us 800 we're never late in payment, clean and relax. Titus never barks or howl either. We're also very handy when it comes with small renovation ^_^

Titus - Siberian Husky
Lex - hairless rat
Old February 18th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Doggie Wench

Although it's mainly on the green line (you could always transfer at Berri/UQAM), have you taken a look at Ville LaSalle? Or Verdun? There's Angrignon Park nearby. For what you can afford, I'm sure there are many lovely places there you can find...perhaps a duplex/triplex.
Old February 18th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Also on the green line, check out between Hochelaga and Ontario, west of Pie IX. Lots of duplexes and some good parks (no dog park that I know of, however). And everyone has at least one dog, I swear. Many people don't want to pay to advertise in the newspaper so they just put up a for rent sign, so you need to cruise around and copy down telephone numbers.
Old February 18th, 2009, 01:54 PM

montreal craigslists are also a good place to look, you can search to dog friendly, or find somthing suiting what you look for and call to ask if it would consider you dog.
Old February 18th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Husky Addict

yea, i'll check those areas, i live near verdun right now, i love the area, close to erverything and all, it just stresses me not to know if i can find a decent place heh

Titus - Siberian Husky
Lex - hairless rat
Old February 18th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Senior Contributor

My experience is that finding a yard in Montreal is a lot harder than somewhere that's okay with two dogs Of course, I only ever look in a tiny area, so maybe I'm missing out.

Something I've noticed though, is that making yourself sound like an excellent tenant before mentioning the dog works better than asking about dogs right off. A lot of landlords will just say "no dogs" as a knee jerk reaction, whereas if you sound like a nice, responsible person over all, they might be more will to consider the dog. References from your vet, past landlords, neighbours, trainers, etc. are all great to have too. A cute picture doesn't hurt either.
Old February 18th, 2009, 04:45 PM

I feel for you ashtoreth.. I am looking for the exact same thing as you and can't find anything affordable anyways

I wish I could be more help