Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 13th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Senior Contributor

pregnant 9 month old dog

my niece adopted a 9 month old dog 3 weeks ago from a neighbour that abused her, neglected her and was trying to breed her with a poodle "just to see what the pups would look like", she's a timid sweet golden retriever mix, I think its with lab, she's slim and was eating like a hog, there was no filling her up, anyways, she took her to the vets to bbe spayed and discovered this skinny girl was pregnant, there are at least 4-5 pups that he could feel, she is due anytime, now the big question, she is terrified of trying to find "good" homes for the pups and worried they will be abused, bred, whatever, does anyone know of a good rescue that would take pups at 10-12 weeks and find them homes?
Old October 13th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Senior Contributor

if this is an inappropriate question, mods, could you please remove it?
Old October 13th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

If you were closer to me, I know of a couple. Sorry I can't help, but give your girl a huge hug for taking on this responsibility. She must really take after her wonderful aunt

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old October 13th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Senior Contributor

she does, but she's in a panic right now, believe it or not she rescues tarantulas *L*
Old October 13th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Senior Contributor

sorry if they are too big, these pics were taken less than two weeks ago and the vet says she is due with in a few days
Attached Images

Old October 13th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Agility addict

She doesn't look very big for a dog who is due in two weeks from those photos. Has she had the dog ultrasounded? (so you know the number of pups)

As for rescues, I would contact poodle and golden rescue and ask them where to go from there.
Old October 13th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
she does, but she's in a panic right now, believe it or not she rescues tarantulas *L*

I would have a freakin' heart attack!!!
I hate spiders *cringes*
I didn't even know there was such a thing as a rescue for them!! I don't don't begrudge any living thing life, except when it has more than 4 legs and invades my personal space LOL

As for the dog, she's beautiful
She sure doesn't look preggers, poor baby. She must have been REALLY thin! Have you had any luck with some nearby rescues?

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old October 13th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
She doesn't look very big for a dog who is due in two weeks from those photos. Has she had the dog ultrasounded? (so you know the number of pups)

As for rescues, I would contact poodle and golden rescue and ask them where to go from there.
the owners mom works for an obgyn........and the dog was taken to the vets...he said with in two weeks, she is now eating puppy food along with her adult food, she is so thin we can feel each pup....or so we think....
Old October 14th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Melinda, if she needs help with rescues I can certainly help. Let me know if you require this assistance. If so, I will provide all rescue detail to set her at ease. I am in your area twice a week.
Old October 15th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Senior Contributor

thanks BenMax, I heard back from a friend of mine at Hopefull hearts and she wants to be kept updated on the birth, how many etc, at 8 weeks she will start looking for foster homes to get them into at 10-12 weeks of age.....we feel a lot better now, if anything goes wrong with that rescue then I'll definately need help, like I posted in the tjt, pray there are only 3 or 4.........
Old October 15th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Senior Contributor

This is a very good rescue Melinda. Your friends dog and pups are in very good hands. Please do keep us updated on the birth.
Old October 16th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Skylar's Farm

Melinda, do you need a rescue nearby?
Animatch has taken in many litters of pups over the years and they are located in Quebec about 30 minutes east from Lancaster, Ont.
Old October 16th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Senior Contributor

thanks Bina, I'll keep them in mind if hopeful hearts can't find fosters at the time
Old October 19th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Senior Contributor

well it could be today, after a short walk she went to the birthing bed and started pushing around the blankets, she's panting lightly, gets up to go find my niece then back up to the birthing bed (large childs plastic wading pool) cross your fingers it all goes well and speedy
Old October 19th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

OMG, she is just a baby herself.

Hopefully, it will be over soon and everyone will be fine, including your niece.

for you and your niece for helping her through all this. Can't wait to see pictures of the puppies. please hurry

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old October 19th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Poor sweet puppy. How does she know it's her birthing bed though? I sure hope it all goes smoothly for the young pup, she's just a baby. for you all to have a smooth delivery. Bless you and your niece for taking such good care of her. How sweet that she goes looking for your niece.
Old October 19th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Senior Contributor

after only 3 weeks she is devoted to my niece, and its her doing it all DD, I'm just the "informer" as she calls me *L* I'll be going over probably once the labour starts, if for nothing else but to give moral support. Amber made the bed for her in a quiet room and started hiding treats under the blankets to encourage her to root around in it, my niece would then sit by it and pet her so she'd lay down and today she just automatically went to it.
Old October 19th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Senior Contributor

one all black pup has arrived and another is crowning
Old October 19th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Senior Contributor

#2 just arived...all black
Old October 19th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Senior Contributor

3 and 4 just popped out quickly. all are nursing
Old October 19th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Half Way To Crazy

4 pups in total??

is mama pup doing good??
they must be so tiny!!

Old October 19th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Senior Contributor

damn...#5 just arrived, black again but with a white belly and she's panting hard again, as the hair dries its going curly, guess it was the poodle
Old October 19th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze View Post
4 pups in total??

is mama pup doing good??
they must be so tiny!!

according to the niece and my mom who is with her, they are a nice size, about a full grown guinea pig size...which is pretty well the lab/golden size
Old October 19th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Half Way To Crazy

5 in that little body

o my!!!!
Old October 19th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Senior Contributor

I hope they are all healthy!!!!!! You and your niece are great for taking care of this young dog and her babies....
Old October 19th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Melinda, good to hear the pups are nursing. Is it over now at 5? Gosh I hope so for the poor Mom's sake. Now I assume Amber is your niece, does the mommy pup have a name? They've adopted/rescued her right, so they'll be keeping her? I certainly hope they are keeping the mom since she's so devoted already. She's gorgeous, I hope it all continues to go well. Hugs to you all and to mommy pup.
Old October 19th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

her name is Skyla, DogDancer, and yes, Amber is definately keeping her and has informed all her friends who suddenly always wanted a dog that the pups are all spoken for and going to a rescue where they will be placed in proper forever homes. All pups appear healthy and are all nursing, she hasn't had anymore but then its only been about 30 minutes? and she was still panting a bit...but she's slowing down, so hopefully thats it. I'll be going over tonight and will take pictures for you all, mind you, if anyone wanted one from this board, that I know for certain would give them a proper forever home then Amber would relent and adopt it out *S*, she trusts her old auntie.

and I hope thats it *L*
Old October 19th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Can't wait to see puppy pics! Glad it sounds like it's all gone well. So happy that Skyla (love the name) will have a wonderful furever home now. Hugs to your neice for taking such good care and making sure the pups are well placed. She's another earth angel (with some help from her Auntie).
Old October 19th, 2011, 05:54 PM

I am so happy this poor mama dog has found such a great caretaker (your niece)! This will be a very good experience for your niece too, and I am surprised to hear how maturely she is handling it (telling her friends they can't have the puppies in a creative way). She should be very proud of herself.

Can't wait to see puppy pictures. This breed has already been done though, "Goldendoodles". These would be mini Goldendoodles. I'm not into the designer, cutsie names for dogs that are essentially glorified crossbreds, but there ya go.
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie
Old October 19th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

Woo Hoo 5 babies. Can't wait to see pictures. What a good mama even though she is so young. to everyone involved in her rescue.

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.