Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Personal pet blogs

Old August 19th, 2011, 04:41 PM

A new life for a middle-aged Am Staff

Roxy is a beautiful American Staffordshire Bull Terrier. At 2 years old, she found herself as a mom, had her ears hacked off, and was homeless in an SPCA. Her adoptive family ran into some financial issues and Roxy along with her two Jack Russel buddies had to find a new home when the family's farm had to be sold.

This is where I come along. I adopted Roxy a month ago from a Pit Bull rescue group where she was then a 6 1/2 year old chunky monkey at 81 lbs. I put in a request for an adult or geriatric female dog that will get along with kids (family's, not my own) and our poop disturber Chihuahua last fall. Roxy actually lived with the 2 JRs as well as 3 Chi's and 3 kids aged 2-6! PERFECT!

From living on a farm, Roxy wasn't used to meeting a lot of strangers so she was leery of strangers (particularly men), but warmed up quick. She was good with introductions if done properly, but meeting strangers face-on would inspire a protective reaction from Roxy. She was also reactive to large dogs. Off to the trainer's we go!

The rescue group suggested a trainer for me which offered free training sessions for dog's adopted from this rescue group. Since I couldn't find any local trainers that I had much confidence in we traveled 6 hours to the trainer with Roxy and Peewee. This trainer has worked with a lot of troubled dogs, and really helped tremendously with Roxy. [If anyone wants his name, PM me and I will be happy to tell you all about him.] He explained that Roxy has no idea what's going on in her life, and doesn't know she's now our dog so we have to establish leadership. He taught us how to establish leadership in a non-confrontational way using heeling practice as a learning tool. The difference in just one day (and now 3 weeks) was absolutely astounding!

Roxy recently accompanied me to BC to visit family where she met my brother's kids, and swam in rivers and lakes. Since we don't know Roxy very well yet, and we know her past only from second-hand information she was muzzled while around the kids. We called it a face mask. Roxy LOVED the kids, and they loved her. She stole the hearts of everyone.

Nowadays, Roxy is enjoying our fenced yard and learning how to play fetch. She goes for daily walks practicing her heel and leave it commands in public areas. She also meets strangers and new dogs as she learns how to introduce herself in an appropriate manner.

Roxy is also on a diet! She is loving her new Orijen diet and along with a smaller meal, less carbs, and more exercise she has gone from 81 lbs down to 74.5 lbs today. She has a few more lbs to go, and lots of fitness to come!

I am hoping that Roxy will be ready for the winter's indoor agility classes, but we have some work to do yet!

I am waiting for her veterinary records (got lucky with a re-home instead of a rescue so I get info!) so she can go for a full check-up, and get her anal glands expressed. She's too fat to reach her butt to lick it thankfully. She also has a lazy eye with a white third eyelid that gets red and gummy sometimes that I want to get checked out. Sometimes in her pics she looks like a clown with her eyes going all weird ways.

Here she is on her way home with me...she slowly inched over so her head was on my lap...too cute:

Does my chunky butt fit on this little dog bed?

Even my lips run when I run!

Perdy:

My first BC river:

Going for a run with my new kids! I have my face mask on, but I don't mind.

Look how trim I am now!
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie

Last edited by Myka; August 19th, 2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old August 19th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Myka,that last pic of Roxy is beautiful,she seems very happy and I am soo glad you adopted her,who knows what kind of life she could have had,if you didn't.
I just love her,she looks a little short and stocky for a Staffie,but I've only ever met one,so I could be wrong.
Old August 19th, 2011, 05:04 PM

Thanks Chico! She has a real sweetheart personality. Very cuddly, and would be a lap dog if she could! She will sneak up on our beds if no one is watching.

I considered returning Roxy when I was having protection issues with her. I have a lot going on in my life right now (starting up my own business), and really didn't expect to or want to have to deal with behavior issues. The thought of what would happen to her guilted me into keeping her and I am happy that I did!

In order of tallest and lankiest to shortest there are Am Staff Terriers, Am Staff Bull Terriers, and English Staff Terriers. Since most of these breeds can be crossbred with APBTs and still be registered as APBTs it really has made the breeds all wishy washy! I don't have any registration papers for her, but her records all the way back to the SPCA say "American Staffordshire Bull Terrier". The rescue group thinks that is correct. Who knows?
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie
Old August 19th, 2011, 06:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

She's very beautiful--and very lucky! Congrats on the new addition!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 19th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Myka she is absolutely gorgeous! So glad you brought another into your life!!! She certainly didnt know she won the lottery the day she met you!! she stolel your heart! Love the pics and she looks really good with that bit of weight loss!! more pics please!!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 20th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Mickey, my angel

Congratulations on your new addition to the family and thank you for rescuing her.

Love the pics. Roxy is a gorgeous girl.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009