Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 12th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

Mounting (sorry) behavior in dogs

Neutered Colby is still trying to mount a Spayed Ruby? Ruby is the most "submissive" outta the WHOLE crew. And "colby" is the most submissive boy outta the boys.

Any ideas? Just trying to figure out why he's doing it. Dominance dosent seem likely because of the above listed reason. And it sure isnt hormones as they were taken eight months ago.

Side note,
toby (our currently unneutered) only shows intrest in our (currently) unspayed saydee. (yes they are both due to go in soon). so I'm really scrathing my head as to why a neuter is trying to mount a spayed. LOL
Old October 13th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Senior Contributor

my Brina, spayed since 5 months old (now 6 yrs) mounts my soap......my bottle of dish detergent and any other nice smelly thing....her trainer said its because of her devotion to me and all those smells to her, signal love and mommy......so I wouldn't worry about it too much
Old October 13th, 2011, 09:56 AM

I read an article a few months ago that talks about mounting as "play sex." If you think about it, most of the behavior we see in dogs is a ritualization of wild behavior. Chasing games are play hunting, wrestling is play fighting, tugging on toys and chewing is play feeding. It's only natural that sex would make its way in there somewhere. Juvenile animals everywhere engage in mock adult behavior, and there is a lot of research to suggest that dogs behave more like the juveniles of different wild canids.

I know it's a little embarrassing, but it's totally natural behavior. If you don't like it, you can absolutely re-direct it when it happens until you it's extinguished. When the play stops being fun he won't do it anymore
Old October 13th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

LOL RR, why sorry? It's a natural thing for dogs to do. As "gross" as this is, Thorin, up until a couple of years ago, would mount Shaun's leg, but only when we were in bed playing with him. He would also play with his big stuffies, and mount them. I don't think it has anything to do with being altered or unaltered, they still have that instinct

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old October 13th, 2011, 12:39 PM

I have also heard it can be way to express excitement. Just one of those things the brain jumps to when they are all revved up. My friends dog mounts any new stuffed toys and my females mount each other and the male when playing.

The oldest female also tries to mount other dogs she meets. Only if she is in a hyper state of mind at the time.
Old October 13th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

Said sorry, because I felt it was a really "silly" thing to ask. As its not exactly a "problem". It was more of a curiousosity thing.

Well mili's point makes the most sense in this situation for me. Because it starts out as "play" (the whole group usually)...and then he gets really excited and "happy" ..and then he mounts her. I've also seen saydee mount ruby during play as well.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. Nice to know he's just being a normal "happy" pup. (well not really a pup he's almost two now).