Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old January 7th, 2010, 12:00 AM

Smile Leonberger or Bernese, Which would you pick and why??

Hi All

I am new to this site, and looking for some guidence.
We are considering a new family member and I have narrowed it down to a Leonberger or Bernese Mountain dog. I have heard both are wonderful with kids, we have 3.
Can anyone share their experience with these breeds, or any other large breed that you love, and I'd love referrals to good breeders for both. ( you can send me a PM if it's not allowed to be posted on here) I live in Ontario, Canada.

Thanks!
Pics would be awesome too!
Old January 7th, 2010, 12:07 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We actually have a member with one of each. I'm sure she'll be on soon (I PM'd her a link to your thread ).

Welcome to the board, Flicka, and best of luck in your search.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 7th, 2010, 04:08 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't know much about Leonbergers, but I know some about Berners. How heartbroken would you be if your dog only lived 5-6 yrs? 7-8 years at the most? And before they die they will most likely have a lot of problems with arthritis or other bone/joint problems, therefore vet bills will be high and they will need a lot of help. Those are the problems with Bernese Mountain Dogs. The breed tends to have huge problems with cancer and they're not very long lived. Not that they're not well tempered dogs, but most people don't want to see their dog die that soon.
We have a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog, they're related (both sennenhund), but they're not as highly prone to the same health problems and they tend to be longer lived. Our breeder actually said she knows several people that got out of keeping dogs completely because they got into breeding or keeping Bernese Mountain dogs and could not take being heartbroken repeatedly when the dogs died young.
Old January 7th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I'd pick a Leonberger for sure, although I love BMD's they have to many health issues.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old January 7th, 2010, 07:31 AM
banned user

I personally love Leonberger's..a friend of ours has one and he is such a big sweetheart.
We have a raw food retailer who breeds Leonbergers and it is always such a pleasure to see so many of these majestic creatures when I go there to get the tripe and offal.
Old January 7th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Half Way To Crazy

first off welcome to the board Flicka, Hope you enjoy your stay.

I have both a Leonberger and a BMD. they are both great beautiful breeds.

My BMD is 3 years old and my Leo is 1 1/2 years old. they are both great around people,kids,and other dogs when trained and socialized ( this is very very important). they both love's to play especially in the snow, and mud!!! in the summer not so much ( Archie loves the water. hope you don't mind hair in the house

yes they are prone to heath problem, with cancer and stomach/ digestive problem and because they are giant breeds you must be careful of hips and joints,bloat and hot spots :sad:
they do eat a lot

Bree my BMD is very active ( some are and some are not) and Archer who is the Leo can be a couch potato if not careful ( again some are and some are not)

It's a hard choice to decide on which one a BMD or a Leonberger visit a lot of breeders ( if that is the route you would like to go) and ask a lot of questions, For our Leo (Archie) we waited almost 2 years for him ( we wanted to be sure that this was the right choice).
For Bree we kinda jumped the gun and did not do ALL our research

But I wouldn't change a thing!!
Old January 16th, 2010, 05:45 AM

Leonberger, gentle giants.....

I am a proud Leonberger owner. My girl is now 5 years old. I got her when she was 2. She had been used simply for breeding and not treated too well either. When I got her she was 50 pounds underweight and spent the first two weeks in my closet. Don't think she had ever seen steps before, and was sensitive to all sounds (scared of plastic bags). She came out of her shell gradually but she is a testement to the breed.
She loves people and children.....they can wrap their arms around her neck and she will lay down for them...she has never bitten, snapped or growled. She is so gentle and loving. I wouldn't trade her for the world. She loves to be around her people and loves car rides. Her best friend is a border collie from across the street.........you could never go wrong as far as I am concerned with this breed...
Don't take anything personal"
Old January 23rd, 2010, 01:35 AM

Talking Leonbergers get my vote :-)

I have not been on this forum for a few years and came on tonight and saw a thread close to my heart :-)

I see a few of you know me :-) I am Lori who has the Leonbergers at Heronview and I thank you for all the kind words.

I have been breeding Leonbergers since 1996 and still think they are the best dogs around. I have 5 leos right now. Savannah 7 , Sadie 4 1/2 , Heidi 3 , Emma 14 mths and Kramer 14mths

Let me tell you a little more about the breed. Leos are wonderfully kind sensitive dogs who are addicted to people. They do not do well with any type of forceful training but will try their best to please you. When any of mine act up I just have to cross my arms and stare crossly at them. You would of thought I beat them !! They will try and get me to forgive them. The worst punishment for a leo is to be ignored. Leos want to be with their people all the time. The majority of leos love children and are pretty gentle around them. Now puppies are another story they think kids are playmates and will nip and jump until you teach them to be gentle. Leos excel at therapy work . Now the leos I am talking about come from breeders who raise their pups in their homes and socialize them, As you can see on here already there is one that came from not such a good situation and she is trying to be the best she can be now that she knows love and is gaining confidence
The difference between boys and girls. The boys are generally bigger although my girls are the size of a lot of boys. The boys have the big noggin and mane. They are also the goofballs of the breed. They never seem to grow up. Sound familier ?

The best think you can do is meet and talk to a few breeders. Ask question ask about health tests how often they breed their females.

Hope I answered some questions for you

Hi Pat hope all is well

Lori

Last edited by Ford; January 26th, 2010 at 01:23 PM. Reason: No self-promo please
Old January 29th, 2010, 08:41 PM

Hi Lori

I just noticed your reply on here ( we must have been writing at the same time )

I actually sent you an email to inquire more about Leo's and you but never got a reply, I sent it from a link on your website, maybe it was never received
I too have been following your blog, and am in love with your new babies, I love the pic. of the pup and grown up with their noses together

I appreciate your reply, I am learning so much about Leo's and am more in love each day, I just need to get out to visit a breeder, I can't wait to meet them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heronview View Post
I have not been on this forum for a few years and came on tonight and saw a thread close to my heart :-)

I see a few of you know me :-) I am Lori who has the Leonbergers at Heronview and I thank you for all the kind words.

I have been breeding Leonbergers since 1996 and still think they are the best dogs around. I have 5 leos right now. Savannah 7 , Sadie 4 1/2 , Heidi 3 , Emma 14 mths and Kramer 14mths

Let me tell you a little more about the breed. Leos are wonderfully kind sensitive dogs who are addicted to people. They do not do well with any type of forceful training but will try their best to please you. When any of mine act up I just have to cross my arms and stare crossly at them. You would of thought I beat them !! They will try and get me to forgive them. The worst punishment for a leo is to be ignored. Leos want to be with their people all the time. The majority of leos love children and are pretty gentle around them. Now puppies are another story they think kids are playmates and will nip and jump until you teach them to be gentle. Leos excel at therapy work . Now the leos I am talking about come from breeders who raise their pups in their homes and socialize them, As you can see on here already there is one that came from not such a good situation and she is trying to be the best she can be now that she knows love and is gaining confidence
The difference between boys and girls. The boys are generally bigger although my girls are the size of a lot of boys. The boys have the big noggin and mane. They are also the goofballs of the breed. They never seem to grow up. Sound familier ?

The best think you can do is meet and talk to a few breeders. Ask question ask about health tests how often they breed their females.

Hope I answered some questions for you

Hi Pat hope all is well

Lori
Old February 3rd, 2010, 11:35 AM

Going to visit Breeder

so, we are finally going to visit a Leo Breeder on Sat. I am so excited!!! She has 5 Leos of her own for us to meet as well as 8 puppies. As for the puppies we are not going to be able to hold them yet, but we will be able to observe them. I'm mostly excited to meet her 5. There are 4 girls and 1 big boy, so hopefully we'll get a good variety of personalities!

Can't wait, will keep you posted!
Old February 3rd, 2010, 12:06 PM
banned user

You will soooo enjoy meeting the pups at Heronview...always the hightlight of my visits there when going for raw food. Lori was so kind to a guest I had visiting from Brunswick, Ga last summer and I cannot thank her enough for her kindness.
Old January 26th, 2010, 01:00 PM

Thanks for the reply Vel!

I am torn, the more people I talk to the more confused i get
We have decided to visit a breeder of Berners and Leo;s and see which breed we and our kids feel more comfortable with. We actually got referred to a breeder that breeds both, she is just past Toronto ON. So she may be a good option to be able to see both together
Old January 29th, 2010, 04:58 PM

Hi Lori ..... Just stopped by and was surprised to see you here.

I'll never forget when we came to Heronview and met your Leos, and especially Bogie who left such an impression. They truly are a wonderful breed and knock down gorgeous. Savannah gives the best kisses in this house and then wee Harley.

Good to see you here Lori, and oh yes, must say I have been watching your puppy blog and am in love.

Take care,
Pat