Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 11th, 2007, 01:12 PM

Question Do cats get lonely?

I didn't know that cats could get lonely, but maybe they are happier in pairs? My cat is a neutered male, but he seems to always look out the window at the neighbour's cats. One night, the door was accidentally left open and he went outside. When he came back, there was another cat with him, and they kept meowing through the door. maybe he's lonely.....
Old April 11th, 2007, 01:24 PM

If he likes other cats, I would consider getting him a friend. A lot of cats do better when they have another cat to keep them company.

Check out your local animal shelter, I'm sure you will find tons of nice cats.
Old April 11th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Some cats are loners, but I think most, especially young ones, are happier in twos. My first cat, a stray, went out and brought home a skinny white fellow, who stayed (and is now a meatloaf). They still sleep together. So yes, he would probably love the company of another cat, if you have the space. The problem letting him choose his playmates at random is that he may get into problems with a feral or another, more aggressive cat, which could end badly (as in vet bills). The better route would probably be a trip to a rescue or the SPCA, where you could look for a match to your own cat's temperament and energy level.
Old April 11th, 2007, 02:38 PM
cat slave

awww that's so cute!! he brought back a friend

I think it depends on the cat. When i had only one cat and brought in a second one, Twiggy wasn't too happy to share the house with another cat. And even now, she couldn't care less if she was alone or not. They just don't cuddle. But some other animals feel the need to be with someone. I think it also depends on the time you give them and what toys they have
Old April 11th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Senior Contributor

I think a lot of cats (and other animals) like to have company. Not necessarily one of the same kind, you could mix cat and dog if you wanted to have a dog. Our cat is happy playing with the younger dog, the older dog seems to be a little worried that she might hurt that tiny fur-ball and shies away. Whenever we leave them alone at home for a few hours, we always leave the music or TV on so they hear familiar sounds. An "alone-animal", cat or dog, can certainly be lonely at times.
Old April 11th, 2007, 03:45 PM

Young male cats are particularly fond of having "buddies" for some reason.

I think all cats do get lonely for human companionship from their parents too, some much less than others but others are like velcro.
Old April 11th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Senior Contributor

I firmly believe 2 cats are much better than one 3 better than 2,4 better than.....
I've always had 3 cats,it just happened that way,they chase each other,wrestle and often sleep together.
So,I would definetly get another from a shelter,probably another neutered male.
Correct me if I am wrong,but in my experience females are more apt to be loners.
Old April 11th, 2007, 05:51 PM

I think that many cats do get lonely, even though cats have a reputation of being self sufficient types who are fine alone. The only cat I had who did not like other animals was a female, so chico2 may be right (although that is only one example). They can be picky about their companions though. I got another cat because mine seemed lonely when my dog died. She would walk around meowing a lot to herself... anyway, the cat I chose to bring home does not get along w/ the first cat at all, even though the one I brought home was in a cage w/ another cat at the shelter, and my first cat had lived with other cats before, some she had problems with, some she seemed to like. Not sure if this means anything, but both of mine are females.
Old April 11th, 2007, 05:56 PM
~Cat Servent~

....6 better than 4.....

The more the Merrier I say!
Attached Images

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old April 11th, 2007, 06:43 PM
-

I would also adopt a friend for him around the same age from a shelter.

Cute pics, krdahmer.
Old April 11th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Some cats love having company, others would rather be on their own. Sounds like yours would like a buddy. I have 4 now and wouldn't have fewer than 2 at any one time. Even my big stray who isn't fond of my indoor girls, likes to know they're around and looks for them, when he's outside he's always hanging around the neighbors cat (who spends all her time in my yard). Cats are a lot more social than people think.

Cindy
Old April 11th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Senior Contributor

What do you do though if you adopt a cat from shelter and it just doesnt work out cause your cst does not adjust??/And i saw where someone said adopting a feral is not a good idea??Why>>Cause i was thinking maybe someday taking in Momma cat,they see each other every day through the window,it was just a thought,although i would never take her from her brother Bob,but i do love her.
Old April 11th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

If you adopt one from a shelter who likes being with other cats, chances are you'd be able to get them to like each other. Usually takes time introducing new cats, so patience is key.
Sometimes it's hard to get ferals to adapt to indoor life. If they're young enough it can be done, but the older they get the harder it is. You could always turn the ferals into indoor/outdoor cats like my one big stray is. I could never get him to adapt to being an indoor cat only, and I do have to make sure all my indoor cats are up to date on their shots because of his outdoor wandering, but he's been fixed and he gets vetted and fed and comes in when he wants. You may be able to get both her and her brother in doing it that way. Get them both fixed and kept up to date on their shots, well fed, they won't wander and get into trouble as much and you'll have a couple of indoor/outdoor cats to shower your affections on.

Cindy
Old April 12th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Awwww Dahmer,the crazy cat-lady even hubby got a chuckle out of that pic
Wish I could have as many
Old April 12th, 2007, 09:55 AM

We just recently got two kittens (9 weeks old now) from the SPCA. They are brother and sister and they are inseperable. When one can't find the other, they meow like crazy calling out for each other. They sleep together most of the time, but not always. Stewie is sick with a cold eight now and Molly will groom him to make him feel better when they are cuddling.

Then when they wake up all he!! breaks loose! Every kitty for themselves during wrestlemania!
Old April 13th, 2007, 08:22 PM

Smile

thanks! i've decided to foster another cat first, then if it works out, i will adopt.
Old April 14th, 2007, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqvicki View Post
I didn't know that cats could get lonely, but maybe they are happier in pairs? My cat is a neutered male, but he seems to always look out the window at the neighbour's cats. One night, the door was accidentally left open and he went outside. When he came back, there was another cat with him, and they kept meowing through the door. maybe he's lonely.....
I had the same dilema about 3 years ago, my new cat that my hubby found at Tim Horton's, well actually she found him, was left alone every weekend in the summer time when we went up to the trailer and she would be very upset when we came home and I was sure that she was lonely, so we got her a friend, a male cat (also a stray), it took them about a week to settle into a routine together, but now they are the best of friends, (of course they still have their little spat's...who doesn't) but at least now I know that she isn't alone and has company and a cuddle mate, now when we go away to the trailer (we can't bring the cat's cause we have to bring the Rottie dog and the cat's and dog do not live in any kind of harmony what so ever lol...in fact every time the cat's and dog are together my poor Rottie dog get's the "attitude adjustment" of a lifetime, you'd think she would learn not to bug the cat's by now) I know that she has someone to cuddle with and when we come back she is no longer angry with me...so for my
I would look into getting a "friend" for your cat.

Good luck! and don't worry to much if it takes time for them to click with each other, some animal's just need longer than others to adjust.

puss
For my babies, Trouble (little black panther cat-stray) Ty-D-Bowl (my huge grey & white fluffy part cat part raccoon - sure eat's like one anyway-stray) and the newest addition to our furry family, Bear 10 week old black Labradoodle puppy....and of course,

R.I.P. my baby Rottie dog, Sierra (Stinker) 97-07.
Old April 14th, 2007, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
....6 better than 4.....

The more the Merrier I say!
Aaaaawe, your cat's are sooo cute, make's me want more than 2 lol !!!

puss
For my babies, Trouble (little black panther cat-stray) Ty-D-Bowl (my huge grey & white fluffy part cat part raccoon - sure eat's like one anyway-stray) and the newest addition to our furry family, Bear 10 week old black Labradoodle puppy....and of course,

R.I.P. my baby Rottie dog, Sierra (Stinker) 97-07.
Old April 14th, 2007, 11:01 AM
The demons' servant

Leo was lonely...so we got Pawz and now they get along great.

It will be so sad when Dart leaves though. He must go with his owner when she leaves to find herself a new place. His owner does plan on getting a friend for Dart but Dart is very much attached to his owner. It might not work too well at first.

He seems to have major issues whenever she leaves for a night or two...he'll meow like crazy and then either pull off the "I'm so mad at you because you left me" persona or the "OMG! You're back! *sticks to her like glue*" persona. Both of which are rather funny to watch (as an outside source).

Megan
Old April 14th, 2007, 11:57 PM
~Cat Servent~

lol...thanks, notice there are 4 staring at that treat bag intently...the other two couldn't give a hoot. AH s each their own little person. Oh ya and right after that pic, they got some treats and went right back to scrappin!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old April 15th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Yeah,treatbags make the magic sound,always make my guys come running
It's unfortunate many people do not realize the personalities and intelligence in a cat,I could describe every quirk,habit,needs and wants of mine,they all talk to me in their own uniqe way..
Now 7 cats,might be a little more difficult,but lots of furry cuddles