Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old August 6th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Chico, I don't buy the Beef flavors anymore because the last several times I've gotten it I feel like I'm cheated out of food. There's so much gelatin in the can Do you find the same thing happens to you?
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old August 6th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO22 View Post
Why assume they are getting too much? Cause I can tell you that they do not get too much.
So how much do they get? And how much do they weigh?

It's really a very basic principle: (too many calories in) + (not enough calories out) = overweight. Unless these cats have a metabolic disorder, that's all there is to it. http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/catweight.html

Quote:
So what is happening that predisposes our domestic felines to a life of sedentary obesity? The answer is multifactorial but to simplify, just remember this… any individual mammal (dog, cat, horse, human, etc.) will gain body weight if it consumes more calories than it burns as fuel for energy. That’s pretty simple, but true. In Nature, food acquisition has never been a sure thing for any creature… not for canines, felines or humans. So food acquisition has always been accompanied by physical exertion to capture (or cultivate) and consume the food. It is only in recent times that the unnatural situation of food excess, readily acquired and consumed with little accompanying physical exertion, has become a way of life. We humans have figured how not to have to do all that work of capturing and cultivating to build up stores of food. Through agricultural expertise we have learned how to grow food and raise livestock and to have those food sources readily available and in abundance… just in case we get hungry! We learned how to refrigerate, dry, preserve and store foods in large quantities that assured us we would not have to endure long and unsuccessful hunting forays nor suffer through famines. We have created the very same food acquisition assurances for our domestic dogs and cats. They, as we, no longer have to hunt to survive. Indeed, we no longer even have to live outdoors.

It’s interesting that our pets have mirrored our own tendency to have trouble with weight control. The major difference, though, is that we humans have complete control over what our pets eat and how much they eat. Unless your dog or cat is sneaking into the fridge and making ham and cheese sandwiches late at night when no one is around, the only way they get to eat is when YOU place the food in front of them.

Every veterinarian has repeatedly heard a serious minded dog or cat owner state “I know you think she’s overweight, Doctor, but it isn’t from the food! She hardly eats a thing.” Well… is the pet overweight from high calorie air? Maybe it’s the water… or from laying on that couch all the time. That’s it! The couch is making the kitty fat, not the food. Seriously, far too many pet owners truly believe that food intake has nothing at all to do with their pet’s weight and no amount of counseling will convince them otherwise. If that describes your position, read no further because the rest of this article is all about how to feed the proper food and in the correct quantity so that the cat will loose weight safely or maintain an optimum weight. There will be nothing in this article about the effect of high calorie air, water or comfortable furniture on the cat’s weight problem.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 7th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Senior Contributor

AG,I really don't mind the gelatin,it makes the food a little wetter,unless someone tells me it's not good for the cats.
I don't find there is a lot,but I buy the small cans,maybe with 5 cats you buy the bigger ones
Old August 7th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh, you buy the 3 oz cans then. Yeah, those are packed better. I get the 5 oz cans and that extra gelatin actually takes up the space of an extra table spoon LOL it might not sound like much to us but to them it's an extra little scoop of food. I even started to buy the Fancy Feast too so that I can add a little in when I get a can that doesn't yield enough for them.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old August 7th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes,the 3 of them split 1 small can 3 times/day,it does not sound like much,but they seem satisfied and Rocky has gained back most of his weight
Old August 7th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Senior Contributor

If you give them that 3 times day that sounds pretty good. I split 4.5 cans between 5 of them during the day. 2 5 oz in the morning and then 2 5 oz with 1 3 oz in the evening. So that pretty much equals about a 3 oz can a day for each of them. Their weight is steady and they all seem satisfied. And of course I'm guilty of giving treats

Old January 23rd, 2009, 10:45 PM

Wow - After reading through this thread I think I have been over feeding my kitties

My cats were on a raw diet (which they really enjoy) but recently Lexus -13lbs has had really bad constipation issues. So, for now to keep her regular she is on Miralax 2x's a day (stool softner) and I have switched her back to canned w/ water for extra moisture. She does enjoy the raw so I mix one or 2 of her meals of canned a day (she gets fed 3x's a day) with raw. I have been feeding her 1 1/2 cans of wellness a day. I decrease this amount when I give her some raw. I really would like her to lose weight Does this sound like I am over feeding her?

Bishop is 18lbs and I want him to lose weight as well. I have been a bit afraid with his bowel movements on full time raw (he goes about every 3 days) so I wanted to add some moisture into his diet to help with regularity. I have also started feeding him a mixture of raw and canned. And I have been giving him about 1 can or so of Wellness plus about 1-2oz of raw a day (spread out in 3 meals). Does this sound way too much?

It is really hard b/c I am feeding them a mixture of raw and canned. Does the canned weight the same as raw? Because if it does I can weigh it on the kitchen scale I have. And give them a certain amount of ounces a day of the mixture

By the way - where do you guys get your Wellness canned from so cheap. Here in Winnipeg I have been buying the cans at $1.89 each....any pointers on finding it cheaper would be greatly appreciated!
Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:43 PM
I'm a softy

for $1.89 me thinks I gonna drive the 2 hours to wpg... it is 2.09 here..... yikes...
Old January 24th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Khari,I answered this post in August,I've since changed and buy 12.5oz Wellness cans instead and my 3 eat half in the morning the other half at night,if they still seem hungry I give them a 3 oz can later.
I was trying to cut down on the $$and the 12,5 oz is $2.69 compared to 3X $1.19 for the 3 oz.
I don't know anything about raw,other than my cats don't eating it.

IML,I would not drive 2 hours to save a little,you'd be spending more on gas for the car
Old January 24th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Senior Contributor

I've since switched to 12 oz cans myself. they are way less expensive to buy when feeding. You get more food for less. For me it works out great. I can feed all 5 of mine with one can at each feeding time.

I've been feeding mine Innova Evo, but they are getting tired of it, so today I went to get some Wellness. It's about 50 cents more, but they aren't eating the Innova and I'm throwing most of it away. So now I have to go back to Wellness at least for a while. These guys sure are finicky, but I don't blame them.

Old January 24th, 2009, 11:05 AM

I'm going to head out right now to see the price difference between the 5.5oz can and the 12oz can....anything to save a buck And I thought I was paying alot when I was feeding Royal canin calorie control from the vets office for $1.49 - $1.69 a 5.5oz can But I know I would never feed them that crap again - now that I am more aware of the contents
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
lUvMyLaBfor $1.89 me thinks I gonna drive the 2 hours to wpg... it is 2.09 here..... yikes..
Are you going to Petland for your Wellness canned? I stopped into Petland (I never shop there because I don't want to support Puppy Mill's) and the 5.5oz cans are $2.09 but if you have a Petland card some flavours are $1.77ea. I would rather pay $1.89 at Pet Valu. Afterwards I went to Pet Valu and the 12.5oz cans are $2.99ea. The sales lady confirmed that when you buy by the case you save 7 or 8 cents. So far this is the cheapest.

I have started feeding 3/4 of a 5.5oz can each cat a day. How do I feed the 12.5oz can? (which is clearly cheaper) They would not get a full complete can each day between the two of them. I will be feeding a complete meal of raw at dinner time and the two other meals will be canned for now. Can I take it out of the tin and put into a container? And weigh it when need it? I am confused on how to figure out the portions with a 12.5oz can I am concerned about portion control because of the extra weight my cats carry
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Khari,I feed 1/2 12oz in the morning,my 3 cats do not like food cold from the fridge and heated,so I just wrap it up and leave it out for their dinner.
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:43 PM
border collie mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khari View Post

I have started feeding 3/4 of a 5.5oz can each cat a day. How do I feed the 12.5oz can? (which is clearly cheaper) They would not get a full complete can each day between the two of them. I will be feeding a complete meal of raw at dinner time and the two other meals will be canned for now. Can I take it out of the tin and put into a container? And weigh it when need it? I am confused on how to figure out the portions with a 12.5oz can I am concerned about portion control because of the extra weight my cats carry

i have lids for the cans of food, since neither of my guy get a full can of anything for their meal, you can find them at Zellers for sure, and also at superstore i think. Any pet store would have them too. The are really chep like 1.00? i think..they are good and sturdy and keep their food good, so it is worth it. or you can use a piece of tin foil over the top, i do that also when i cant find when of the lids, it works just the same, excpet i guess it would be slightly cheaper to buy the lid since you can reuse it.
Old January 24th, 2009, 02:10 PM

I have lids as well. Always have used them and have no problem with keeping the leftovers in the fridge.

My concern is with figuring out the right portions with a 12.5oz can.
If I am feeding each cat 3/4 of a 5.5oz can a day this would equal 1-1/2 (5.5oz cans) a day between the two cats. That would be 8.25oz a day between the two cats. Can I just weigh the content of the 12.5oz can to this amount a day? Would this be the way to get the correct portion? Eyeballing it may not be a great idea with their weight issues I can't feed them half of the can in the morning and half of the can in the evening b/c this would be 12.5oz. And they only require 8.25oz. I wish it was that easy....
Old January 24th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I have found that using a measuring spoon I can feed them all enough to satisfy them. I use a tablespoon measure. Each 12oz can allows me to give each cat 2 tablespoons at each feeding. I empty the can into a glass bowl and mix in a little bit of warm water and then begin to spoon out each of their plates. Sometimes the cans allow me to give them a little extra. I've been using this measurement for them for several months and it allows them to get their fill and maintain their weight.

Old January 24th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Senior Contributor

AG,love your avatar by the way
Old January 24th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Chico, I have another one of the same little kitty with another kitty. They both look like they are laughing. I was planning on using it as an avatar after I changed this one. That one is cute too. These make me smile every time I see them.

Old January 24th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Senior Contributor

uhhhm...i think i know why Onnie isgetting chubby

I leave out wellness kibble all day and sometimes they eat a whole can between them as well (the soup can size, 12.5 oz I believe). If not a whole can then 3/4 of a can....

But chico ure kitties only eat 1 can and no kibble? and theres one more to feed!
And Ag ure kitties also just the one can a day between them?

My cats are pigs

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old January 24th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by onster View Post
uhhhm...i think i know why Onnie isgetting chubby

I leave out wellness kibble all day and sometimes they eat a whole can between them as well (the soup can size, 12.5 oz I believe). If not a whole can then 3/4 of a can....

But chico ure kitties only eat 1 can and no kibble? and theres one more to feed!
And Ag ure kitties also just the one can a day between them?

My cats are pigs
Onster, my gang eat twice a day. I give them 1 12.5oz can in the morning and another one in the evening. They each get 2 tablespoons at each feeding, but if the can has a little more, I split the rest between all 5, so they might get like 2.5 tablespoons. I've found that this is a good amount for them.

They eat their fill, and then have a little left to pick at if they get hungry after a while. I don't leave any other food out for them other than what they each leave on their plates. I know from those plates they all just pick at all day. But, it's not so much that they can over eat.

They have all maintained a good weight for each of them for several months. Even though Vlad weighs 17 pounds, my vet said that's a good weight for him, because he's so big. I've been happy that I've been able to maintain him at that weight and he's not gained.

I'm sure you can stop leaving out the kibble. It sounds like they get enough food between them with the can. When I had just Vlad and Oksana, they would split a 5oz can between them at each feeding and sometimes they would leave a little bit left.

Old January 24th, 2009, 09:42 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Wow! I feel like a bad mommy now. I just open a can and put it on two saucers for my indoor guys. They share. It's left out and they nibble on it during the day. Depending on what kind of meat it is sometimes they eat it up pretty quickly.
My catty cats get 8 small cans a day. Plus a good quality dry is left for them with tons of fresh water. Or as good a quality as I can afford for them. They also get their hearts and gizzards and tuna treats a few times a week and eggs occasionally.
With this number of kitties and with them all sharing I can't divide equally. They literally have their noses in the cans before I can get the food on the plates.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 24th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Senior Contributor

14+ you are not a bad mom by any stretch of the imagination!!! All your kitties look healthy, none are skinny..in fact, some are a little plump

I just didnt realize how much more my guys were eating than other kitties ....I just filled both their bowls with kibble (several cups worth)..itll last bout 2 days before i see the bottom of the bowls again and top up.

They get their canned food usually twice a day...for breakfast and then when we eat lunch, sometimes the can will last 2 days (depending on how much they beg ). I dont really dividie it up at all...they both just eat. Onnie eats for less time but hes a quicker eater. Also, while Bunduk stays in my room pretty much all night, I think Onnie may be doing kibble feasting at night...which would make sense as to why I think Bunduk eats more than Onnie yet Onnie is the one with the huge belly.

This is not too mention the human food they manage to beg for

AG thanks for the info! If 5 eat 2 cans surely 2 can eat 1 can!!

I'll have to mull over this..... maybe stick and canned with the kibble but measure/possibly divide canned into 3 days? hmmmm Im not sure about taking kibble out completely and just giving them the can....I suppose I could try but I can imagine kitties trying to kill me during the night.

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old January 25th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Onster,I think you learn to know how much each cat needs,a little difficult for 14+but her kitties all look great,as do Onnie and Bunduk.
My Vinnie could probably eat all day,if I let him,Chico dos not eat as much as the others,but likes to come back later for more.
That means feeding-time,I have to keep an eye on Chico's dish,so Vinnie does not finish it.
Rocky eats very good and I know he gets enough.

I still leave a little dry food out,but they hardly touch it,hoping to stop all together.
They have their dinner around 4pm,but if they seem to not have had enough,I give them a small can,but most of the time they are satisfied,with one 12oz can/day.
They do get a little cooked chicken or beef ever now and then mid-day +Temptation(I know it's not a good treat,but they love it)...
Chico and Rocky are at a good weight,Vinnie HAS to lose weight
Old January 25th, 2009, 08:30 AM

I started Bishop & Lexus's new feeding amounts yesterday. I felt bad for Bishop (18lbs)....He was sleeping beside me on the couch and @ about 2pm I started hearing some wierd noises. At first I couldn't figure out what the noises were but once I realized it was Bishop's stomach growling....it was sooo loud. Poor baby....It sounded like he was starving. I feed them at 6am -4:45pm - 9pm...

It sounds to me that everyone feeds their cats the same amount even if they weigh different. Bishop is 18lbs and Lexus is 13lbs (they both need to lose some weight). I started giving them the same Wellness amount in the morning and the evening (between the two of them - 3/4 of a 5.5oz can in the morning and the same at night). Lexus didn't eat as much in the evening. But when I feed them raw at dinnertime I give Bishop 2oz's and Lexus gets 1.5 oz's

I pray I am not starving Bishop
Old January 25th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Senior Contributor

14+, a bad mommy? Are you nuts? you're a great mommy. It's harder for you since you have so many. I'm sure they all get enough to satisfy them.

Onster, I've been struggling with their food for months and months. First to find something they liked, then figuring out how much was enough and not too much. At this point, I think I've found a system that works. My system might now work for your guys, but you can always try to see what works with your guys.

Chico's feeding routine was a starting point for me and I just went from there and found what worked for my gang.

Old January 25th, 2009, 10:41 AM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Khari,I feed 1/2 12oz in the morning,my 3 cats do not like food cold from the fridge and heated,so I just wrap it up and leave it out for their dinner.
But they are not spoiled, right Chico2

My dogs won't eat "plain" kibble anymore...has to have either beans or rice or yogurt or something with it. They just stare and wait if we put only kibble down.

I love this board...I feel so "normal"
Old January 25th, 2009, 10:46 AM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

By the way, this is another tidbit of information I picked up on this board which is true for animal and human foods...FYI

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....ed+canned+food

Likewise, kibble should stay in its bag and not be transfered into any type of plastic storage bin directly.

Last edited by diandpat; January 25th, 2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old January 25th, 2009, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the info - I have always kept the tin in the fridge covered once opened. Glad to know because I am buying the 12.5oz tins of wellness. So I can take it out of tin and put unused portion into a glass bowl overnight and it will be much safer. I am learning so much. Wish I would have known everything years ago