Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old February 1st, 2010, 04:33 PM

Angry Hit and Run drivers of critters

What is up with drivers who don't even slow down when they can clearly see a squirrel crossing the street? imbeciles.

When I see a squirrel, I've even come to a full stop, while the little critter decides which way he wants to go.

I don't understand people.
Old February 1st, 2010, 07:41 PM
Kitty pimp

wll around here they dont stop for humans either
Old February 1st, 2010, 07:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Some people are just in a hurry and some people really don't care.
I stop for everything. I had a bunch of Canada Geese crossing the roadway at Costco one day and stopped and let them go...not so the impatient guy behind me who pulled past and accelerated as fast as he could...to prove his point he was frustrated I guess!
Case in point, the little stray I have living in my house right now was crossing a street close to my house. She just stopped and froze in the middle of the street. If it had been someone beside me at that moment, she might not be curled up in a bed in my kitchen right now.
My car has a personalized plate and bumper stickers that should be a clear warning to people behind me that I will slow and stop for animals if needed. And that includes squirrels!

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge
Old February 1st, 2010, 07:50 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I know someone who is now in a wheel chair for avoiding a rabbit. Slamming on ur brakes or swerving is not the greatest idea out there
Old February 1st, 2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
wll around here they dont stop for humans either
Old February 1st, 2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310 View Post
I know someone who is now in a wheel chair for avoiding a rabbit. Slamming on ur brakes or swerving is not the greatest idea out there
that's really awful!

But hey, I'm not talking about life-threatening efforts--just plain ole` animal kindness!
Old February 1st, 2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincymycat View Post
Some people are just in a hurry and some people really don't care.
I stop for everything. I had a bunch of Canada Geese crossing the roadway at Costco one day and stopped and let them go...not so the impatient guy behind me who pulled past and accelerated as fast as he could...to prove his point he was frustrated I guess!
Case in point, the little stray I have living in my house right now was crossing a street close to my house. She just stopped and froze in the middle of the street. If it had been someone beside me at that moment, she might not be curled up in a bed in my kitchen right now.
My car has a personalized plate and bumper stickers that should be a clear warning to people behind me that I will slow and stop for animals if needed. And that includes squirrels!
I'm gonna get me a sticker for my car that says, "This car stops for critters and has nuclear warhead for impatient drivers".
Old February 1st, 2010, 08:09 PM
Senior Contributor

I also know someone who was in a life threatening accident because she made a decision not to hit a cat.
She has made a full recovery, but she rolled her accident was very serious.
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old February 1st, 2010, 08:17 PM
Senior Contributor

I think the big word here is common sense Anyone who knows me, knows I do not drive highways...nervous type.. and don't drive all that fast to begin with. Can't afford insurance if you get speeding tickets! If you are on a highway going 90km per hr, you don't slam the brakes on for a bunny...a moose, perhaps, because you will lose that one!
I think the essence here is driving in subdivisions, where you will find many critters, AND CHILDREN and your speed should be such that you can avoid hitting anyone/anything without causing critical injury to anyone.

Last edited by quincymycat; February 1st, 2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old February 1st, 2010, 09:11 PM

Sorry, I won't risk my life or safety, or anyone else's,to avoid a squirrel. I'm sure that offends some, but I place humans over rodents.
Old February 1st, 2010, 09:58 PM
Senior Contributor

The speed of your vehicle and proximity to other vehicles should be taken into consideration.

I always try to brake for all the little beasties. But I don't want to get rear ended either. Luckily I've only ever hit one groundhog *crosses fingers it's the only one ever*

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old February 2nd, 2010, 01:11 AM
Senior Contributor

I brake and stop for animals if I can do so safely, but yeah I'm not going to swerve out of the way and cause a wreck or injure myself to avoid a squirrel. I don't think anyone was suggesting anyone else to do that. I think they were more talking about the people that have the opportunity to stop and just don't give a crap. I've even seen people speed up trying to hit stuff.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 08:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincymycat View Post
I think the big word here is common sense

your speed should be such that you can avoid hitting anyone/anything without causing critical injury to anyone.
I think this is what we all mean....I hope no one goes out into their car to see exactly how many critters or people they can "get" either through deliberation or accident.
We've all had people we know injured and it isn't always because a critter was involved. Human factor is the big one and common sense is needed for everything, not just driving, but walking and thinking!

Old February 2nd, 2010, 09:50 AM
Senior Contributor

My friend, the one who got in the car accident- did so consciously. She is a vegan and an animal activist, and chose not to hit the cat. She fully understood she was risking her life- or so she said afterward.
Interesting perspective.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 03:41 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

A few years back when I had my Jeep, we were all going out wheeling/camping...about 20 Jeeps in a row...I hit a gopher...a really BIG one...didn't even see it running...came from the passenger side and I felt it...we all stopped...I was devastated...we buried it at the side of the road...it was great to see all the Jeepers helping dig and not one made me feel bad for caring.

I am always looking ahead to see if there are any critters and will avoid them if I can...the thing I don't get though is why they run in front of cars? I mean cats are smart...dogs are smart...I have seen signs sqirrels are smart, but they still run in front of cars!

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old February 2nd, 2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoGrl View Post
A few years back when I had my Jeep, we were all going out wheeling/camping...about 20 Jeeps in a row...I hit a gopher...a really BIG one...didn't even see it running...came from the passenger side and I felt it...we all stopped...I was devastated...we buried it at the side of the road...it was great to see all the Jeepers helping dig and not one made me feel bad for caring.

I am always looking ahead to see if there are any critters and will avoid them if I can...the thing I don't get though is why they run in front of cars? I mean cats are smart...dogs are smart...I have seen signs sqirrels are smart, but they still run in front of cars!
I can so relate to that. I was a passenger with a friend who was driving his minivan on a highway at night time, when out of nowhere came two deer. My friend managed to avoid one deer, but hit the second one. The bang and thud was so sickening. It so happened that we were driving past a rest stop when this happened, so he drove the van over to the rest stop. He got out to look at the van, and I thought we were going back to check the deer!

A few cars that were behind us also pulled over to the rest stop because they were swerving to avoid hitting the deers. In one of the cars was this stupid yahoo who proclaimed that the deer was a fresh kill, and it would probably be okay if we went back to the carcass and got ourselves some deer meat.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 03:05 PM

The worst was, I was driving home late at night on a hwy that is "usually" busy but wasn't that night, I saw a raccoon crossing the street so I slowed down, then the racoon stopped in the road, so I pulled over to see that it would get off the road, it didn't, so I pulled over, got out, and as I was crossing the road a car came and ran the racoon over!! Seriously this was the worse sound I have ever heard, the poor thing could barely move off the road as it was screeching...... I tried to call somebody to pick this raccoon up but the place was closed!

I cried for days.

I'm so stuck on animals being treated fairly that I won't even date a guy who has killed one, even for food. Luckily I found a guy who hates those people just as much as I do.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkycat View Post
The worst was, I was driving home late at night on a hwy that is "usually" busy but wasn't that night, I saw a raccoon crossing the street so I slowed down, then the racoon stopped in the road, so I pulled over to see that it would get off the road, it didn't, so I pulled over, got out, and as I was crossing the road a car came and ran the racoon over!! Seriously this was the worse sound I have ever heard, the poor thing could barely move off the road as it was screeching...... I tried to call somebody to pick this raccoon up but the place was closed!

I cried for days.

I'm so stuck on animals being treated fairly that I won't even date a guy who has killed one, even for food. Luckily I found a guy who hates those people just as much as I do.
There aren't enough mad emoticons for me to click on, honestly. That hole!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm the same way re relationships. I'll be cordial, but nothing beyond that to people who hunt. I cannot be their friend, let alone anything more. (I do, however, make the exception for the Inuit and other indigenous peoples of the world, whose very existence depends upon hunting.)

Last edited by Kay9; February 3rd, 2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 04:07 PM

Yes I have no problem who hunt animals because they are native or even live in the booneys where there are no meat stores. Its the slime buckets who live in houses right close by a supermarket and go buy a gun and go shooting deer, caribou, rabbit ect.

My dad use to hunt ducks WAY back in teh day, he took me and my sister out, for bonding time, and well lets say, when he killed one, me and my sister CRIED so hard and started screaming that he decided not to hunt anymore. lol.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 04:55 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I've never hit a dog or cat, but have had the misfortune of hitting a coyote a skunk and a squirrel. Couldn't avoid any of them and felt terrible hitting all of them. I will not risk my life and other peoples to avoid hitting an animal that darts out in front of me. I'm not a speeder either, all of these animals were hit at night on a road posted 80 with the exception of the squirrel, that ran across the street and then changed it's mind and ran right back directly under my car.

I have stopped when I could for geese and squirrels and do watch intentley for beasties that may dart out, but sometimes it's not possible to do anything but hit them.

clm
Old February 3rd, 2010, 06:51 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

I too have hit a rabbit in the wee hours of the morning i didn't see him until it was right there,, i pulled over and made sure the little one was dead and moved his body to be buried..I think some of the things i've seen people do with an animals body that has been hit is worse than actually hitting it...

Kay9 and Stinkycat, just out of curiosity are you both vegan or do you eat meat?
Old February 3rd, 2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
I too have hit a rabbit in the wee hours of the morning i didn't see him until it was right there,, i pulled over and made sure the little one was dead and moved his body to be buried..I think some of the things i've seen people do with an animals body that has been hit is worse than actually hitting it...

Kay9 and Stinkycat, just out of curiosity are you both vegan or do you eat meat?
No, I'm not vegan. I eat almost no red meat, only chicken.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 08:37 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sigh. Well, at least I get cordial from Kay9.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 3rd, 2010, 08:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Me too Hazel. At first, I thought you meant cordial- like the booze...

I just wrote a paragraph about my conviction for hunting instead of buying styrofoam encased meat in the "SuperSuperSuper Store" all wrapped in plastic and completely disconnected from the dignity of living and dying humanely- but then I erased it 'cause I thought- maybe people don't want to go there.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 08:59 PM

well, Hazel, you do get brownie points for being a dog lover.

And macomom--nice try but specious argument!
Old February 3rd, 2010, 09:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay9 View Post
well, Hazel, you do get brownie points for being a dog lover.

And macomom--nice try but specious argument!
Her argument is mine, Kay9.

We have 8 working hunting dogs at home. Working, as in 'hunting'. That means we do, on occasion take birds. I find it much more ethical to take a bird from the wild than from a mass-production chicken facility.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 3rd, 2010, 09:12 PM

....and my bone of contention is how people can find it enjoyable to kill a sentient being for sport.

I don't think we will agree about this one, so we probably should agree to disagree.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 09:14 PM
Senior Contributor

We eat it.
No sport involved.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 09:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

We kill to eat, just as you kill to eat, Kay9. The difference lies in the life that comes before.

But I agree--we should agree to disagree.

Old February 4th, 2010, 03:37 AM
Senior Contributor

If I hit and killed a deer accidentally I would take it home and eat it...
It's legal as long as you inform the conservation department you're doing so.

I don't see how it would be better to leave it on the side of the road to rot.

There are a ton of people around here that are poor and need food. At the least I would give the meat away to them if I wasn't going keep it.

Even if you disagree with hunting, I don't see how that applies to something that's already been accidentally killed.