Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old September 12th, 2010, 02:30 PM

why is it so hard…

We have been fostering these two kittens on our own for over a month now. And we've been posting adoption note on Kijiji, as well as 9 different pet food stores and animal hospitals around our neighbourhood. Every single call or email I got from people who were "interested" had no follow ups whatsoever…and I had to bug them to see if they were still interested. This one guy told me after I asked him, that he didn't like to be told what "MUST" be done. All I said in the post was, "We require an agreement which states that you will have the cats neutered between 6-8 months old, and we can also assist with getting a better price for the neutering." and he didn't like that. I just feel very frustrated right now, I know I shouldn't feel this way, but…what's wrong with these people?! If I responded to something like this, I would be serious about it, I wouldn't just call saying I want to adopt them, then turn around and say, it is not the good time for me to have a kitten. I know it probably is a good thing that I didn't give them to people like that. Sigh…The thing is, I can't keep them any longer, they have to go in 2 weeks, that's why I am desperately wanting someone who is responsible will call me and adopt them or I have to surrender them to the shelter. I hate this situation I am in right now. Thanks for listening to me…I just want my anger out a little
Old September 12th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMushroom View Post
why is it so hard…
Because it's too easy for people to get kittens from those who don't care where they end up .

I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time. Have you contacted any local rescues to see if they'd do a courtesy listing on their websites for you? Or perhaps you can attend some of their adoption days with the kittens?
Old September 12th, 2010, 09:53 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I would suggest removing them from kijiji. Not the best place to be advertising pets. You are competing with too many millers.

Have you tried to contact some of the rescues in the area? Maybe they won't be too overwhelmed (yeah right ) and may be able to place them in on of their foster homes. Google cat rescues in Toronto area and see what pops up. You never know. I can almost guarantee you though that Toronto Cat Rescue will be full to overflowing. There must be others in that area.

What is the reason you can no longer foster? What questions were you asking the potential adopters? How much are you charging for your kittens? Have you thought of asking for an amount and then offering half back when kitten(s) have been s/n? I normally ask for $50 and tell them once the appt has been made for kitten to be fixed the money will be forwarded to their vet as partial payment. That way I also get their vets name and can do some checking on them as well.

LP is right. There are far too many kittens out there that people just want rid of and advertise for free. Once the kittens are out of their site they are never thought of again.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 12th, 2010, 10:49 PM

Thanks, LP I may try to see if any shelters or rescue groups in my area will be hosting adoption days these couple of weeks. You are right, too many people don't care.

Thank you 14+kitties for giving me advice all the time. I know Etobicoke Humane Society and Toronto Animal Protection Services are both full. My next bet will be Toronto Cat Rescue and Mississauga Humane Society. Or some small rescue groups. My friend is trying to sell his left-over bricks on Kijiji, so I think you are probably right about taking my ad off I am back to school now, and things are going to get crazy very soon, plus it is quite costly to buy all the stuff for my program. I also have a dog, a cat and a gecko at home. So I just don't think I would have enough energy or money to take care all of them on premium food if I kept those two little guys I am charging $30 each, b/c I just want to get some money back from the vet visit I paid for early on which was $68. I've been trying my best to take care of them, they have been on Wellness and EVO canned food pretty much ever since I got them, and about 2 weeks ago, I started adding raw chicken to their food, they love it But you probably know more than I do, how much they can eat these days I didn't even get the chance to ask the potential adopters... Where are they???...No one has shown up yet.
Old September 12th, 2010, 11:22 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I can almost be 110% certain that TCR is not going to be able to take them. They have their hands so full right now.

Taken from: http://www.animalliberationfront.com...20Shelters.htm

Not sure how up to date this list is. There may be more rescues available.

Annex Cat Rescue
E-mail: info@annexcatrescue.on.ca
P.O. Box 19028,
360A Bloor Street W., Toronto, M5S 3C9
416-410-3835

North Toronto Cat Rescue
E-Mail: donna@northtorontocatrescue.com
Sheppard Centre RPO
4841 Yonge Street, PO Box 43238
Toronto, M2N 6N1
905-940-3343

Mississauga Animal Rescue Service (M.A.R.S.) (they have been saving feral cats for over 10 years and are the only group in my city that does this on such a large scale)
E-mail: marscats@sympatico.ca
16-1375 Southdown Road, Box 326
Mississauga, Ont., L5J 2Z1
905-855-0357

PAWS (People Animal Welfare Society)
kim@pawscanada.org
marisa@pawscanada.org
2300 Lawrence Avenue East
Box 73039
Toronto, ON M1P 2R2
416-520-7995

If none of them can help they might be able to give you a lead.
There's also Oakville Humane Society. It's a drive but they are supposed to be pretty good. They "only" euthanize feral and unadoptable cats/kittens.
Check carefully to make sure wherever they go that they are in a no kill environment please. They've had a rough start on life already.

Kittens tend to slow down on their eating habits at around 8 months or so. Their food intake goes to about half of what they eat currently. If it comes down to it you could always give them a slightly less expensive food. Once adopted they would probably be fed cheaper food anyway. That may make it possible for you to keep them a while longer.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 13th, 2010, 09:46 AM
-

I would stay clear of Mississauga Humane Society for the time being. I hear they have been experiencing some problems.
Old September 13th, 2010, 08:29 PM

what happened at the Mississauga Humane Society? I couldn't find anything online about problems there.

Thanks for the list, 14+! I will try to contact them soon. And can you give me some suggestions on the food to keep my budget down? Currently I am giving them EVO, the low-carbs, no grains cat and kitten food, which is the cheapest one in Global, but with these two little guys's super appetite, it is getting quite expensive still.
Old September 13th, 2010, 09:56 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMushroom View Post
what happened at the Mississauga Humane Society? I couldn't find anything online about problems there.

Thanks for the list, 14+! I will try to contact them soon. And can you give me some suggestions on the food to keep my budget down? Currently I am giving them EVO, the low-carbs, no grains cat and kitten food, which is the cheapest one in Global, but with these two little guys's super appetite, it is getting quite expensive still.
Can you swing one feeding of Evo a day for them and supplement them with Fancy Feast for their other meals? That would help cut the cost a bit. If you read the labels of the pate style FF's some of them aren't bad. They aren't optimal but, if you are watching costs, they are ok.
Have you looked at www.catinfo.org ? There are lots of good ideas on there as well as some recipes for preparing raw. L4H it down to a science with making raw for her cats. It works out to 55 cents for 5.5 oz (correct me if I'm wrong please L4) which is comparable to the cheaper cat food.
Surprisingly, WM has come out with some better foods for cats lately too. They carry a line of raw and a new Special Kitty food. They are grain/corn free. You have to be very careful to read the labels but, if used for one meal a day would still work out cheaper than Evo all the time.
Hope this helps a little. It may let you keep these guys until you can find perfect homes for them.

Old October 8th, 2010, 05:26 PM

Contacting a good, reputable rescue is a good idea. They will post the kittens' pictures on their website, to give tham a lot of exposure. They screen potential adoptors and finally have them spay/neutered when the right age comes around. Dealing with the public (for someone who is not exprienced), can be quite annoying and really you would never know where the kittens might end up!!! Some people might have them reproduce, to make a few $$$ or worse, they may end up in a research lab. You may want to look into becoming a foster home for a rescue group, you will find it most rewarding.