Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 3rd, 2015, 01:32 PM

Can we talk about my sick dog?

I am ready to scream or cry, whatever comes first.

Purebred Minpin, nearly 4 years old. Been chasing possible food or environmental allergies on vets advice for 3 years now. Can't keep doing it. When I first met the dog, he was eating a lower quality chicken based food - he was switched up to acana and orijen - then switched over to raw about a year ago. We had to make a recipe of raw organs - blend them, add some vitamin powder from the vet and freeze in ice cube trays - he loves them this way. Progressively worse and worse, tried different things, tried allergy meds and of the long string of things that the vets told us to do, nothing has worked to date.

Had blood work done last week, platelet count is low - had to request the T4 be done and is 13 - low normal. This morning I had to demand, literally demand a thyroid blood test to rule out the possibliity, vet didn't think it was necessary - but the test was done. But he wanted to throw steroids and allergy meds at the dog. Had a long talk with a vet tech friend who feeds raw - he thinks it's possible the raw diet may be the only thing keeping this dog going.

This dog is going to chew and scratch himself to death, alopecia abound - all over his body now and it's the worst I have seen. Energy levels are dropping over the last year, he is definitely not overfed - but he's gained another 3 pounds since last december. He should be around 9 to 10 pounds - he's currently 14.5 and we can't get the weight off.

Appetite isn't always good, he will go 24 to 36 hours without eating at times.
breath stinks - when he burps or yawns for the last couple of months.
diarrhea - all too often for probably the last year. Farts can be horrendous.
Itchy ears - not always ear infections, ears are bald around the rim. Tail stump was always bald, always chewing on it.
Energy levels are getting lower and lower - noticed it moreso in the last year especially in the last 2 months.
Cold - his tolerance is definitely lower and getting worse. Being a small, short haired breed, he's not designed for cold but...
Licks his lips more often, seems to have thick saliva. His lips stick to his gums, gives him a funny grin.

Patience with other dogs has gotten low - no problems with people.
Periodcally yelps when we have to put on his collar. He hates being on leash, and we wrote it off. Is it a symptom of pain in the neck?

He seems to stop and stare periodically, it's like he's not sure where he is. Noticed this more in the last couple of months. We'll find him standing in the living room at 2 in the morning, just standing there staring off. Other times i'll catch him just standing here for minutes at a time - it's like he's spaced out.

He will hesitate when readying to jump on the couch or the bed now, before it was never an issue.

Am I crazy or are these signs of hypothyroidism? Anything else it can possibly be?