Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 2nd, 2009, 03:27 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Awwww, Nelly pics, I can't believe how far she has come in your care, Frenchy
I couldn't have done it without the help of so many pets.ca members
Old August 3rd, 2009, 06:47 AM

Elisabeth 85, ceara Qc, Cpietra16 and Frenchy your furbabies look wonderful. And Edwina, your list of rescues is fabulous.
You are all 's.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 07:07 AM
Molly's mama

What a great thread to start. I haven't been on Pets.ca long enough to remember the "before" stories- Frenchy, Ceara, how wonderful to see how far you have come.
We adopted our first rescue over a year ago- Molly, a mixed breed originally from Kentucky, she was about to be PTS because of a broken leg. A rescue in SW Ont. brought her up there and miraculously the leg healed on its own. Here she is in our "before" shot- the day we brought her home, she was approx. 6 months old. Skinny at 24lbs, but healthy.
Name:  before.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  73.5 KB
And here she is- just yesterday, playing her favourite game- fetch- at the park. Happy and healthy at 38 lbs... and did I mention SPOILED! ?
Name:  after.JPG
Views: 287
Size:  91.5 KB

Keep the stories coming everyone....
Old August 3rd, 2009, 08:36 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwina View Post
Well i would be here all day putting up pics of my rescues over the years , i havent gotten any cats any other way. But here is a list :
Frosty - rescued from my sister at the age of 3 - 16 yrs
Muffin - kitten of a stray- 18yrs
Mew - kitten of stray - 17 yrs
Blacky, stripey cheetah pet, sis - kittens of neighbors cat - 9yrs ,11 yrs, 13yrs old now
Baby - stray - 13 yrs
Tigger - kitten of neighbors cat - 13 yrs
Oggie, Booger - kittens of Baby - 13yrs old now, 3yrs
Junior - kitten of Blacky - 7yrs
Mommy Kitty Girl - stray - approx. 9 yrs
Bear - kitten of MKG - 15 yrs old now
Backy - kitten of stray - 3yrs old now
Viola & Pansy - kittens of stray - approx. 4 yrs old now
Salem - kitten of Pansy - 3 yrs old now
Squirt - kitten of stray - 3 yrs old now
Sparky - kitten of stray - over 1 yr old now
Tater Bug - kitten of Backy - 1 yr old this month
Freckles - stray - ? age
Many kittens given to forever homes
And a few kittens that i couldnt save but tried - Red 7 mons, Rusty 4 mons, Little Freck 10 mons.
I have helped some others over the years, but there are too many to list.
Awwww edwina, you have given so many kitties a chance at a good life.

You can post pics of all your current kitties, we are patient and will wait

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 3rd, 2009, 08:38 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Awwwww, sweet Molly , love the second pic of her with her big smiley face

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 3rd, 2009, 11:29 AM
Slave to the Kitties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Awwww edwina, you have given so many kitties a chance at a good life.

You can post pics of all your current kitties, we are patient and will wait
I did post links in a thread with my newest kitties in (most in the first post, then the rest in a later post) , but there has also been updates to oggie, salem , pansy & viola, and sis also in other threads.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=63575
Old August 3rd, 2009, 02:43 PM
-

mollywog, sure glad you and Molly found each other.

She is such a cutie and always looks sooo happy. I wonder if that's cuz she's spoiled.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 09:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Petey was a 1.5 years old when I adopted him. I found him on Petfinder. I wish I had kept his original pic from Petfinder. This is a pic from the day he came home. He hadn't filled out yet! As far as I know, he was never abused and he came to me in perfect health and with very good socialization. He was supposed to be a hunting dog, but was gun shy and so abandoned at the local shelter where the rescue group pulled him. So someone did a good job raising him as a puppy, but then just abandoned him when he wasn't a good hunter.

2004:

Now:

Belle was born into rescue, so has been spoiled all along. Her parents were puppy mill escapees found eating road kill to survive and Mom was only a week away from giving birth. I got to see her when she was only 5 days old as the woman was from a Texas rescue group, but was in Minnesota on vacation visiting a co-worker and brought Mom with since it was so close to her due date. Mom gave birth here in MN and the co-worker who knew I was looking to rescue a Boston connected us. I flew to Texas to bring her home when she was 8 weeks old. She had four different kinds of worms when I brought her home. The rescue had given standard de-wormer, but never did a fecal.
June 2007:

Aug 2007:

Now:

Jelly was born in a puppy mill and kept in stacked cages in a barn until the so called breeder surrendered the litter to Friends of Homeless Animals. I flew to Oklahoma to adopt Jelly when she was 4 months old. She was in poor mental condition as the rescue only had her for a few days. She was healthy, but very stinky, had stained yellow legs from urine burns, splayed feet from standing on wire, and was underweight. She was very timid and had no socialization or training. She had only felt grass for the first time two days prior and had not known life outside a stacked wire cage.

Her Petfinder Pic:

The day she came home, Dec 2008:

And now:

All my dogs and cats all my life have always been rescue and they always will be. These are my current babies!
Old August 3rd, 2009, 09:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Ive only rescued mice.

I got them from a man that was breeding them to feed his snake and he was going to kill them to feed his snake.

They were kept in a 10 gallon tank with about 14 other mice plus litters. They crawled all over each other and had to fight for food. They were kinda skinny and very scared.. I dont have before shots though.. I had a heart mouse. She was so tiny but she has such a HUGE personality.. I really think that these little critter experiance love.. She was attached to me and i could let her out of her cage and let her on my bedroom floor and she would stick close. And if i walked away she'd follow

I miss her:sad: And the others.

little ones.
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 09:32 PM
Molly's mama

aww Smiley, those are great stories about your gang, I never knew that Petey was a rescue too. Look at Jelly now! She looks SO happy! I remember those first days you had her and I will never forget the pics of her first time experiencing snow... in her funny little snowsuit!!!
Such great stories everyone.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 11:01 PM
Slave to the Kitties

Lovely bunch of rescued puppies
Old August 4th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Geek Club CEO

Baby Jaida (~12 weeks) the day after we rescued her from the grossest BYB on the planet. She was skinny, full of fleas, her feet were burned from walking in her own feces/urine, and she had a galloping case of pneumonia:

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...97633875142745

"Baby" Jaida now, at 2.5 years old:

Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old August 4th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG Bendy,that video just makes you cry,but knowing what a wonderful life she has now,keeps the tears at bay

I don't really have any rescue-stories,but love to read about all the great things you all have done
Old August 4th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Quincy when I got him

And Quincy now

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old August 6th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Molly's mama

I am posting this on behalf of BenMax who is, shall we say, computer challenged? I kid, I kid....

She first contacted me to let me know that she has Molly's twin in foster!! This dog is literally the spitting image of Molly- same colouring, same silly ears, same size, same cuteness

Abby is 6 months old. When BenMax first took her in she had a bad case of Demodex... as you can see. And was very skinny.
Name:  before1.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  43.0 KB
Name:  before2.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  34.1 KB

And look at her now- beautiful and healthy... and soon to be foster failure
Name:  after1.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  50.5 KB

1 more picture to come..... and please add any details I may have missed, BenMax!
Old August 6th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Molly's mama

ok 1 more pic of the beautiful Abby.
Name:  after2.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  33.9 KB
from BenMax:
Quote:
I go to the shelter almost everyday to pull dogs that are on death row. I had seen her there with her mom and 2 siblings for about 1 month. One day, 2 pups had died and Abby was in the clinic. Both pups died of parvo they say. Mother was adopted and Abby was not doing well so they were going to PTS. I took her home and saw my vet. She did not have parvo, she was worm infested to the point of death.

I have had Abby now for 3 months about. So that would mean I had her since she was approximately 3 months of age. She was dangerously thin, sick and weak. Now – she is bubbly, funny, full of spirit. She is just a dream (except still not house trained).
Old August 6th, 2009, 01:17 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollywog View Post
And look at her now- beautiful and healthy... and soon to be foster failure
omg BM , look at those ears does she fly away when you take her out on windy days ?

she's too cute

all of them , those dogs were all pretty darn lucky to have find you guys as new doggy parents
Old August 6th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

OMG, I didn't think there were two Mollys around Love the ears , they bring a smile to my face.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old August 6th, 2009, 01:27 PM

We had been looking at adopting just after we had purchased our condo in February of the year and had researched and looked at dogs for about 2 months. We had submitted an application to a rescue but had not heard back after 3 weeks and had looked in our local shelter but didn't see any dog that fit our lifestyle. Then one Monday I saw Duke on petfinder and couldn't stop looking at him because his description sounded perfect. He was a stray that they named Duke, he was found wandering with another beagle who they named Daisy. I finally called the shelter on Thrusday and we decided to take off Friday to drive up there to meet him after signing some papers at the bank.

When we got there they took us into this small building that looked like a shed. There were wire cages filled with about 10 dogs, all of whom were going crazy barking and jumping for attention. We walked up to the front of one cage where this little ball of beagle was laying there not making any sound or movement. When I got to the cage, he decided to slowly make his way to the entrance and just sat there. We opened the cage and the lady put a leash and collar on him and brought him outside. When we got him out he came alive smelling every inch of the place. Then when I got down on my heels he immediately turned around and jumped up in my lap to sniff me. That's when we knew he was coming home with us. After we got everything signed and paid, he was happy to hop in the car and sit on my fiances lap as we drove home. Everyone there was so sad to see him go, but they were happy to know we were keeping the name they gave him. He is a perfect boy that settled in the minute he walked in the door.

About a week later the rescue approved us, even though the dog we enquired about was gone. After about a month with Duke and realizing how much he loved other dogs, we decided we had the room and time for one more. We set-up everything with the rescue and were torn between two dogs there, a min pin called Buttons and Toby. After meeting Toby and introducing him and Duke, we picked him right away and have never regretted it. These two fit together so well that I can't imagine one without the other. They are called the twins in our building.

I only have one pic from before we got our boys.

This is Duke's pic from the shelter on petfinder:

Duke at home:

Toby at home (wondering what is wrong with his brother):

Together:

Last edited by bluestar; August 6th, 2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old August 6th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh my gosh, this thread has nearly brought me to tears a hundred times!!

Bendy, what an amazing dog you have. That poor little creature - it really shocks your system when you can see how terrible people can be to such beautiful creatures.

BenMax, what a GORGEOUS little girl you have! Good for you for rescuing so many animals.

This was my first cat that I brought home from the vet clinic I was working at, at the time.
He came to us after being found on the reserve, after some kids bathed him in bleach - he had sores on his paws, and was a general mess.

We named him 'Avalon' after the island that King Arthur went to heal.

After a four month stay with us at the clinic, he was released with a clean bill of health and I brought him home.
Here was Avalon on his third birthday.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)

Last edited by Bailey_; August 6th, 2009 at 01:32 PM. Reason: pictures weren't loading
Old August 6th, 2009, 01:33 PM

Boone came into the shelter around the same time I started working there. He was a stray running around in downtown Toronto with a broken leg at 3 months old in late fall. The shelter staff had named him Perry which I didn't think suited him at all but put with seeing as he wasn't my dog though I often toyed with names for him while I cared for him. As much as I loved the dork I always dreaded mornings as he always had poop smeared everywhere in his kennel and I mean everywhere, while the others would mess their kennels and stay away from it it seemed he played in it. But I loved him anyways. He was terribly nervous and trusted only a handful of people at the shelter, mostly the vet staff as we handled him most everyone else either got snapped at or growled/barked at. The dog walkers usually didn't have much luck in getting him out without a bit of a fight, maybe one or two got along fine with him.

I never wanted a puppy, loved puppies but didn't want to own one, ever. Didn't want the hassle of house training them and plus adult dogs were always harder to place especially the black ones so I had my eyes open for an adult black dog in the shelter everyday. Of course my plans were foiled and I finally accepted defeat and asked if I could foster to adopt as thus far lots of people had come to look at him because he was a puppy and oh so cute and the posters they had all over the building never listed his behavior problems of fear aggression and nervousness. But when they met him and he stood at the back of his kennel growling and barking at them with his hackles up and tail tucked they all bowed away, each time I have to admit I was happy.

So I fostered, adopted and then after some issues left. His fear aggression has dulled down, we've worked hard at it. He had to wear a muzzle for awhile as he would bite people on walks. But we've gotten over the worst I believe. He'll be a year old in a few days and is still nervous and I suspect he always will be but he'll now let people touch him as long as I'm there and I will generally keep his attention on me, sometimes he'll urinate submissively towards strangers but usually he just wants to run so seeing as I'm as far as I can go with him myself we've enlisted the help of a trainer. I have hopes of doing agility with him but if that doesn't happen he's still my little star at the agility course in the dog park.

Old August 6th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Master of the Drool!

Great Stories and Great Thread!!!!!!!!! You guys are alll puppy and Kitty Angles!!!!!
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old August 6th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Molly's mama

what great stories. Boone is BEAUTIFUL! Sounds as though you have come a long ways with him.
And Bailey, Avalon really is a king. What a gorgeous cat he has grown into.
Old August 6th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Senior Contributor

This is the most inspiration thread I have seen.
Thank you to all the posters.
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old August 6th, 2009, 01:44 PM

Reyna was trapped by the boyfriend's mom. She and her two siblings where offspring of ferals. Their mom was never caught but the two siblings were adopted out together and I fostered Reyna with plans to adopt her. The vet and myself are convinced she was born with four legs but mama must have chewed off part of her leg while removing the cord as there was alot of scar tissue on her stump, which earned her the nickname Stumpy.

Here's a picture of her stump when she was a little older.

She got along fine with it and was a holy terror. Before her first birthday she started have issues with her stump, it became a burden. Everytime she'd hit it even softly on something she'd be in a large amount of pain so so it was decided to remove the stump and get her spayed at the same time.

She came home with a lovely hair cut and stitches she insisted on removing herself despite being in a cone, and wearing a baby onesie. The stitches had been removed in this picture.

She turned two last month and is my crazy little monkey. Despite losing her mom at 4 weeks old she has been a wonderful makeshift mom for the foster kittens that come through here.
Old August 6th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollywog View Post
what great stories. Boone is BEAUTIFUL! Sounds as though you have come a long ways with him.
And Bailey, Avalon really is a king. What a gorgeous cat he has grown into.
Thanks Molly. He's seven years old now, and living still at my parents house. The plan was always for me to take him when I moved out from home, but my Mom and Dad couldn't part with him either. It was two against one.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old August 6th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Senior Contributor

LB, oh my gosh, what a beautiful cat you have.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old August 6th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Senior Contributor

MollyWog - thank you so very much.

BTW - if you ask Mollywog to help me out again, I have a photo of another foster I had before Abby who looks very similiar to yours....
Old August 6th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Molly's mama

go for it BenMax!
Old August 6th, 2009, 01:54 PM

Wonderful stories everyone! All these animals are very lucky to have run into such wonderful people in their lives.

And thank you Molly and Bailey. Avalon reminds me of Reyna, grey kitties are awesome.

BTW Boone looks larger then he really is in that picture lol he's only 34-35lbs and is a German Shepherd/Australian Cattle Dog mix at best guess.