Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old April 27th, 2006, 10:19 AM

Best Cat Food?

After reading through a lot of comments, I'm convinced I need to switch my two six month old kitties from Purina to a better kitten food. I'm a bit overwhelmed by it all, but I ended up choosing Nutro's Natural Choice for Indoor kittens (dry). However, I noticed it has Corn Gluten Meal as the third ingredient, dried plain beat pulp as the fifth, and ash at 7.25%. Is all this okay?

Also, should I not let them free feed all day? I thought my vet told me to do that. One kitty does seem to be getting a pretty good lil' belly!

Should I add some canned as a treat?

I've learned so much from this website!

Thanks.
Old April 27th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Molly & Mrs Norris's mum

Cats are as individual as people, so there's no *one* best cat food.

When I switched my girls from Cat Chow, I went to a specialty Pet Food store and spoke to the clerk there about what I wanted, and what I wanted to get away from. Personally, I'd go for the all-natural/holistic foods right off the bat. The bonus about going to a specialty store is that they will most likely offer you free samples to take home and try. There's no point in paying $20 or more on a bag and then finding out your kitties won't touch it.

The brands my Specialty Pet Food Store Lady recommended to me:
:: Felidae - comes in a Cat & Kitten all-life stage formula
:: Natural Balance - all-life stage formula
:: Wellness Super5Mix Kitten (well, my Lady recommended the Adult Cat formula, but they have kitten formula too)
:: Innova EVO Cat & Kitten
:: Eagle Pack Kitten formula

My best suggestion - read as much about these foods and their companies, and pick the one that feels like the best fit for you and your kitties. In all my research, I noticed one thing: the better the food, the more likely the site will have the ingredients listed online. The ones above all do. Purina and others similar? Not a chance. I think they want you to go all the way to the store to read the bags, and since you're already there with the bag in your hand, they figure you'll just buy theirs.

The majority of the dry food formulas above also have wet foods available. I give my girls wet as a treat, but I let them free-feed on the dry.

Good luck with your kitties!

Old April 27th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Senior Contributor

The best cat food is canned food.

http://www.blakkatz.com/dryfood.html
Old April 28th, 2006, 10:49 AM

If I switch to canned food, would I just make the switch gradual the same as with dry? Does the can then tell me how often to feed them? With dry, I let them free feed all day. They are only 6 months old.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

If I could figure out how to insert photos, I'd introduce you to Buster and Moe!
Old April 28th, 2006, 11:23 AM

I give Maxwell a bit of canned food in the morning and in the evening. I also have dry food out and he eats that when he wants to. He only gazes a bit during the day so he doesn't eat much dry food, but it is there just in case anyways.

Slave to Maxwell
Old April 28th, 2006, 01:27 PM

You are all so helpful! I am armed to go get some good quality kitty food.

One question, in switching from dry Purina, how do I go about introducing good canned food? Give just a little each day with the PUrina? Will it give them diarrhea?

I'm excited to get them on a healthy diet. I've even noticed their nice white fur is getting a little discolored.

I'll let you know how things go!

Thanks again.
Old April 28th, 2006, 04:00 PM

Hi,
Eaglepack has a sprinkle powder thing that you can get that helps aid in the transition to holisitic food. I got a really good deal with a bag of dry, 2 cans of wet and the sprinkle thingie for $10 at my local pet store.
Old May 6th, 2006, 12:14 PM

When we adopted our Siamese, she came home with some Holistic Blend dry food. She is absolutely beautiful and very healthy for a 10 yr. young lady. I decided to continue with this food for all 3 of our cats and 3 months later they are much healthier and lively. You can see the difference in their fur. It is soft and shiney. They are more active than before and going in the litter box less often. Thank goodness! Less stinky bowel movements. Mind you this brand of food is sold in the grocery store(Superstore, Loblaws etc.) I buy mine at the health food store. A 12 lb. bag lasts my 3 cats 4 weeks. Which I think is great, they were eating crap before(Whiskas) which my vet actually recommended, and it only lasted a couple of weeks if that. So, for us the best food is Holistic Blend.