Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old July 11th, 2008, 10:25 PM

*Canned Cat Food* What do you use and how often do you change flavors/brands

I have been reading a lot of information on how it's a good idea to add different flavors and brands of food into our cats diets in order to limit the possibility of nutritional deficiencies. As it is right now we only feed our cat Wellness canned chicken(grain free) and every couple of months Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Ultra.
I was wondering if I could ask what everyone uses and the schedule they use when changing it up?
Old July 11th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Slave to Roland & Willis.

HI!
I give Roland Evo beef mostly. I give him the venison every now and then (every two weeks or so I slip a can in), He loves the evo. (Unfortunately I think he has a bit of a chicken sensitivity so I dont get to give him those) and sometime I try the Go Natural fish stuff but he doesnt really like that. He seems to like the beef and venison the most and doesnt mind the change.
Old July 11th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Well, I'm feeding a lot of cats, 3 indoor and at least 4 or 5 strays, so besides picky eaters I gotta keep costs under control too. Finding higher quality foods to change up with some of the crappier types that they love has been a challenge to say the least but I've found quite a few recently that all of them like.
First off, all the cats always have a bowl of dry to munch on inbetween their wet foods, so they get a mix of kirkland and natures variety instinct or orijen.
Canned foods are , friskies salmon or chicken. Fancy feast tender beef, chicken liver and grilled chicken. (better quality), snappy tom, natures variety instinct (rabbit, chicken or duck) and any of the go natural canned. They all get a can of good as well as the other every day and are fed canned in the morning and in the evening. A different variety each time, never fed the same thing twice the same day.

Cindy

Last edited by Ford; June 10th, 2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old July 12th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
A different variety each time, never fed the same thing twice the same day.
That's how I do it too. You should see the look of disgust I get if I dare offer the same flavour within a 24hr period. What's really funny is trying to explain to my pet sitter the canned food rotation protocol. At first I could tell she wanted to roll her eyes, but after looking after Aztec for a few days, she fully understands.

Aztec usually gets Wellness for breakfast, either Chicken, Turkey, Beef/Chicken, and only once or twice a week, Turk/Salmon or Beef/Salmon. For evenings and weekends, he gets Nature's Variety frozen raw medallions (chicken or beef) or Blue Kat frozen buffalo, venison, or chicken. For even more variety, I'll occasionally feed Fancy Feast chicken/liver or turkey/giblets, which he loves, or Innova Evo 95% duck or venison, which he doesn't love so much, but it's healthy.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 12th, 2008, 10:56 AM
chronically insane.

I change flavors/brands every day. The only one I consistently feed them every day is 1/3 o 1/2 can Innova Evo (in the big cans) Chicken and Turkey.

Otherwise I supplement with Before Grain 100% chicken, turkey, tuna or salmon for snacks once or twice a week. I use some Blue Buffalo spa select mostly for the kittens.... and then either Merrick, Wellness, Wervua or any other random brand I find that I like. Grain free most of the time.

My cats are spoiled little brats so I have to switch up their stuff daily and make sure it's room temperature and the right texture or they won't eat it.

I think they get about 10z of food at dinner and it fills them all up.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old July 12th, 2008, 11:02 PM

Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to start adding a few selections to his diet.
Old July 13th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Senior Contributor

My 3 kitties,eat canned food 3 times daily,always a variety of flavors,they LOVE FF beef,chicken,but otherwise different varieties Wellness.
I am thinking like people,who'd want to eat meat-loaf every day