Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old February 13th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Weirdness at the Blockbuster.

Whilst browsing the new releases at Blockbuster this evening, a fellow was approaching me talking to himself softly. I didn't look up, but continued to search for a movie, he stopped about 10 feet away and said something else, I looked up to see that he had a very large cockatoo on his arm and was having a conversation with it.

DH walks towards me, eyes wide and we stood there trying to inconspicuously stare at him. The bird kept making very high pitched chirps that sounded like rubber soles squeeking on a tile floor.

He wandered around and didn't seem to notice people looking at him. We stood behind him in line, he had about 10 movies. I'm assuming he's going to have a quiet weekend in with his bird.

A most bizarre scene at the Milton Blockbuster.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old February 13th, 2009, 09:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

What? You didn't ask to be introduced to the bird?!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 13th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Pft. And I get kicked out of places when i bring my dog in?!

lol... He sounds like a cool guy. Seriously, he has enough self confidance to talk to a bird in public and not mind people staring at him. I need lessons from him..lol..

Accually, im having touble wrapping my head around this. lol
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old February 13th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
What? You didn't ask to be introduced to the bird?!
lol.. Sounds like he would probably Skitz out and attack somebody if they asked about his birdie.

I shouldnt make fun or be so judgemental, as he may be the nicest person in the world.
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old February 13th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Senior Contributor

I wanted to but by the time we chose our movie and caught up with him in line he was heading to the cash register. He also didn't look too open to being asked questions. He didn't really make eye contact with anyone.

Pretty bird though. I'd be afraid it would fly away on the way back to the car. It would never survive this cold weather if it flew off.

Old February 13th, 2009, 09:59 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I suspect the bird was telling him what movies looked good.

Actually, I've approached people with birds on their shoulders--usually cockatiels--and more often than you'd expect, I have a good conversation with both bird and owner. I'd be worried about the bird catching a chill on the way back to the car in winter, though. I usually only see bird people in town in the summer months.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 13th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

Reminds me of when my mom and I were driving down Memorial Drive a few summers ago when I still had my Jeep...we had the top/doors off...we passed this guy in an older green CJ top/doors off...we smiled, he didn't really give us a second thought ...then my mom noticed the bird sitting on the top of his steering wheel! It was a parrot...I ran into the guy at 7-11 on another day...he said his bird had her wings clipped, so he didn't worry about her flying away and she just LOVED balancing on the steering wheel...and I thought it was dangerous to have your dog sitting on your lap when you are trying to drive!

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old February 14th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

My yellow collared Macaw, "Roger", went every where with me also. I would take him to the small local airport I ran daily, after a while he moved into the office.
Roger had a rather "foul" vocabulary, his first home was a construction worker, but he did pick up some great aviation related words. That's why I named him Roger. I knew he would hear it alot.
Roger also loved to fly but not as a bird, I kept his wings trimmed, twice he stole away in a private aircraft stopping for fuel and both times he was returned. He was a hoot. Every time I took a jaunt he had to go too.
I still have many polaroid (sp?) pictures of him and his antics, I have no idea how to post them. This was back in the early 80's.
He also loved Budweiser. And coke, anything in a red can. He would hang out with the crop dusters and mechanics at the end of the day.
They were a bad influence on my bird.
I rehomed Roger with a fellow pilot who took over my classes in Ocala. As far as I know Roger is still with them. They have an aviary and Roger found his soul mate there too.
Old February 14th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Senior Contributor

I guess birds make good companions then. And they have good taste in movies.

Old February 14th, 2009, 11:12 AM

In Milton you say! Ha ha! I can't go anywhere with my Amazons... although they make quite a racket. They're not satisfied with mom's attention. They feel as if everyone in the room should be focused on THEM. And they have great success in achieving this goal. Sometimes in the most embarassing ways...

Simone will imitate an old man coughing and then everyone looks at me all disgusted like I have a sick bird... when really she just has a sick sense of humour.

Sunny makes farty noises and then goes "wacka wacka wacka" and then cracks up in rib-splitting laughter.

Ah, the parrots. Some days you just can't take another second of them, and other days you're on the edge of your seat just waiting for the next word to come out of their mouth.

Sunny takes the cake with - out of nowhere - "LET THE DOGS OUT, COME ON!!!"

Apparently I didn't realize they needed to go.... :P

Lexus - Rottweiler/Cattle Dog - Raw fed, lover of all things humorous
Fable - Cattle Dog/Australian Shepherd - Grain Free - hyper, hyperintelligent, apple of our eye

And of course, the cats Jasper and Pey'j, and the current flock Kenya, Kirby, Sunny, Simone and Duffy.

Last but not least, the endless stream of incoming and outgoing rescue pups!
Old February 14th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Senior Contributor

That is too funny babysweet!! It seems they have some serious personality!

Perhaps I have underestimated the power of a bird, this man probably had no choice but to bring it with him.

Old February 14th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I'm a softy

*awe* thats sweet! I am not much better, I take my budgie with me places in summer.. she likes to come pick the kids up from school.. she LOVES sitting on the steering wheel also, but gets mad when I have to turn a corner... yes a budgie... she has no idea she is a budgie though so don't tell her... she also LOVES when I wear a hoodie with a pouch pocket, she likes to climb in and ride in the pocket. That is why I picked her. I actually did not want a budgie, but every time I went to my friends I would visit her, and play with her and she would love to cuddle and sit on your shoulder and one visit she climbed into my pouch pocket, after that we went home and discussed getting our first birds.. I had to have her she is sooo sweet!
Old February 14th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Senior Contributor

I just looked up some pics and I think I may have mistaken what type of bird it was. It was all white, with some purplish tail feathers (although they were under the folded back wings so it could have also been some feathers from the underside of the wings?)

It didn't seem to have the head feathers like a cockatoo. Very smooth looking head. No other colours anywhere else on its body.

Old February 14th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacer View Post
I wanted to but by the time we chose our movie and caught up with him in line he was heading to the cash register. He also didn't look too open to being asked questions. He didn't really make eye contact with anyone.

Pretty bird though. I'd be afraid it would fly away on the way back to the car. It would never survive this cold weather if it flew off.
More than likely the bird had it's wings clipped to prevent it from flying off.

We have a cockatoo guy at our Blockbuster as well, I can tell you without a doubt, he is not a very sociable gentleman. I once commented on how beautiful his bird was and he just turned and glared at me...sent chills down my back. I watched this guy bump into ppl without apologizing and just acting like an a$$.

Now if I acted like that whilst walking one of my Pitbulls could you imagine what ppl would say!

Also have a guy with a Parrot at our Blockbuster, he's a really cool guy, he let his parrot sit on the handlebars of my son's wheelchair while he went cruising thru the store. "Knockers" was his name. Big beautiful parrot. He had a Mastiff outside waiting for him too, the parrot rides the mastiff when they go out. He actually has a harness equipped with a perch, it was the funniest thing!
Old February 14th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysweet View Post
In Milton you say! Ha ha! I can't go anywhere with my Amazons... although they make quite a racket. They're not satisfied with mom's attention. They feel as if everyone in the room should be focused on THEM. And they have great success in achieving this goal. Sometimes in the most embarassing ways...

Simone will imitate an old man coughing and then everyone looks at me all disgusted like I have a sick bird... when really she just has a sick sense of humour.

Sunny makes farty noises and then goes "wacka wacka wacka" and then cracks up in rib-splitting laughter.

Ah, the parrots. Some days you just can't take another second of them, and other days you're on the edge of your seat just waiting for the next word to come out of their mouth.

OMG roflmao...now that's funny! If nothing else it sounds like your birds are a constant source for entertainment! I love birds, I had a cockatiel once...he would look in his water dish and say "prettyboy" that was the extent of his vocabulary.
Old February 14th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Senior Contributor

LOL, he was probably getting the birds opinion on the movies.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old February 14th, 2009, 04:17 PM

I think these birds are gorgeous, entertaining and they have a crazy sense of humor, let alone the swear words they know. But since the store is filled with a lot of strangers, I hope this type of bird does not bite anyone, then we would have a problem on our hands. Especially if a child got bitten, the store could end up getting sued for allowing it in their store. If I had a bird of this type, I would not put the public in danger. I always think of consequences for my actions, I know other people don't.
Old February 15th, 2009, 02:37 AM

Several years ago I saw a guy in Vancouver with a large bird I'm guessing a parrot (mostly green back, w/red & yellow) on his shoulder in the mall

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysweet View Post

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying