Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 28th, 2016, 12:46 PM

Exclamation Caked blood on cats nose?

My cat has dried blood at the edges of his nose. Not much just a little at the corners. Why? He hand his sister were given to us as kittens and she does not have this. They have their first fell shot as well as one other shot, no boosters and no other shots as we became unable to afford the bills of the only vet in the area. Otherwise they are both eating and drinking well, playing and active. They are 1 and 1/2 years old. He has no other health issues we know of just this cake black stuff at the edges of his nose that looks like dried blood. What should I do? And we have no money for an expensive vet bill. We have asked about a payment plan but they will not do that for us, and they are the only vet clinic around. We do not have a car.
Old February 28th, 2016, 01:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Do the kittens play rough , maybe the kitten got scratch on it nose ? I would keep an eye on the kitten , is blood coming out of it nose?

Last edited by hazelrunpack; February 29th, 2016 at 12:00 AM.
Old February 28th, 2016, 08:48 PM

Welcome to the forum

The first thing I think of when you say caked on black stuff on the nose is that a lot of times cats especially ones that have pink noses and/or white/light coloured faces may just be showing a bit of discharge.

To see if it's actually blood - take a damp paper towel/tissue & gently wipe the area - if it's still black on the towel it's not blood, if it's red then it's likely dried blood.

Any chance of posting a pic of this?

Is there an SPCA or a Humane Society in the area that might be more affordable for vet visits?

Check with the taxi companies in your area often they will allow passengers with crated animals, just mention to the dispatch that you have a cat in a carrier, and most large cities will allow small crated animals on public transport.

Has either one been spayed/neutered? Even with siblings you could run the risk of an unwanted pregnancy.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old March 1st, 2016, 12:17 AM
Willing cat servant

Misty, one of our cats has always had this situation. She's a white cat with 1 blue eye and a green one and a pale pink nose and also a bit of a flat face for a DSH.
She's about 12 y/o now and it has never been a problem I just clean it. She also has the same in the eyes.
It has gotten better in the last couple of years but like I said, it's never been a cause for concern.