Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old May 18th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Honest Contributor

wonder what the pet food industry will look like in 50 years...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old May 18th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Performance Spaniels

I was curious and asked on another site about germs and BARF. Like dog eats dinner, chews on stuftie and licks your face.
Do you worry about the potential nastiness on the stuftie, and do you worry about face kissing, or the accidental tongue in mouth.
Most people told me they didn't worry, and if you did to brush after every meal. I'd never be able to devote that much time into 'meal time'... but I thought it was an interesting question for BARF feeders.. something that just popped up thinking about it.
Old May 19th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Honest Contributor

if you ask any raw-feeder, you'll find that the issue of "germs" is quasi-non existant with them, and is considered to be a mere scare-tactic propagated by the pet food industry to discourage people from feeding their pets a natural diet. I mean, do zoo-keepers wear thick gloves while handling all the animals' raw meats and then disinfect afterwards? do farmers? do butchers? do hunters? do people who work in slaughter-houses?... and the list goes on, when you look outside the box of feeding your dog "real food". In fact the nastiest places are the kibble-factories themselves, what do you think actually goes in that food before it's cooked to a brown paste? nothing fresh, guaranteed.

also, we all pick up our dog's poop (and vomit), that is where the bacteria is. how many people use shovels and are meticulous to never let a molecule of feces touch their shoes, hands, clothing, etc? how can you be *sure*? i find changing a baby's diaper a hundred times more disgusting than handing a raw chicken leg to my dog, to be honest. the chicken is cleaner than the yellow diaper poop and alot less smelly, too! Yet... diapers are changed (and not all are disposable plastic ones either!) and people don't drop dead from baterial poisoning.

another thing to consider, the only pets fed dried grain pellets are the cats and dogs in the rich, industrialised countries, which makes up less than half of the world's geography. i doubt the dogs in Africa, China and South America are fed anything from a bag... are these dogs all sickly and dying, are their owners infected with salmonella? hmmm. hardly would think so.... Our worlds have become so micro-focussed on whatever clever marketing hype is showing us in glossy magazines and musical tv ads and peddled by ignorant vets, that we have forgotten to raise our heads above the water to see further than our own little reality. And in any argument, it should matter to weigh all the facts before making a judgement call... in this case, whether feeding raw is dangerous to human health. i vote "no"

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old August 12th, 2007, 08:54 PM

I have a question...

We have a new 10 month old Pit. We rescued him from the shelter. He was there for 4 months on a variety of donated food. I have been feeding him, my 16 yr old mix and my 13 yr old German Shorthair Pointer Kirkland Chicken Rice Veg for about 2 weeks. He has very bad gas and some diarrhea. Should I wait it out or switch to something else? The mix dog is doing good. The Pointer has never done good on any food but she likes it. The pup I am worried about. Any suggestions? I thought about getting some puppy food but vet said adult was ok. He is very small. 32lbs. He likes the food. Eats real fast which could give him gas but all the time? and really smelly!
Thanks for any help.
Sherry
Old August 12th, 2007, 09:04 PM

You should open a new thread to get more responses.

How long have you had the new pup? Check out the food forum for better higher quality food alternatives.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old August 12th, 2007, 09:05 PM
-

vivalv66 , I was feeding my dogs Kirkland lamb and rice. They loved it. After a couple of months they did start to have diary. So I switch them to another brand. I don't know if Kirkland changed their recipe of if it was a bad batch, but since I switched , no poop problem.
Old August 13th, 2007, 11:32 AM

Kirkland Lamb and Rice

I have had alot of issues with allergies with my little dog. Hes had a number of skin scrappings, been to the derm, punch bipsois, and many meds. He ate Hills Z/D for about a year and then i switched to this and he hasnt had a problem since... Z/D about $60 for 30#. Kirkland $18 for 40#.... Amber
Old August 18th, 2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp1 View Post
mabe i should just chainge to the lamb end rice food see no by-product meal

end its to bad i dont have the labelle anemore i hem sure thers not by-product in the chicken formula if i remember corectly it starts whit chicken\chicken meal

Lamb, Lamb meal, whole grain brown rice, rice flour, white rice, egg product, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved witn mixed tocoperols and Vitamine E), beet pulp, potatoes, fishmeal, flaxseed, natural flavor, milet, brewers dried yest, carrots, peas, choline chloride, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, taurine, vitamin E suppliment, iron proteinate, copper proteninate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteniate, manganous oxide, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bivulfite (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid
Lamb and Lamb meal are good. Whole grain brown rice is good. Rice flour, white rice, and egg product are not, but even Canidae has white rice as the 4th ingredient.

Just so you know, you're steering clear of Brewers rice, which is good, but rice flower is just as bad. So if you're looking at a food where the other ingredients are good, but it has Brewers rice,,,,,,as long as it's not the 2nd or third ingredient it's no worse than this food.

PS Canidae Lamb formula has none of these, I just don't know if the meat content is as high as the formula with a variety of meats.
Old September 19th, 2007, 11:14 PM

We just switched from Candiae to Kirkland due to the $$ reason. The dogs seem fine and eats it very well.

I got 2 bags of Lamb one and Chicken one in Kirkland..

I'll buy Candiae occassionally. But I think Kirkland is way better than Iams, Pedigree, and Science Diet. Correct?

I told my friends to get Candiae instead of Science Diet. They wouldn't do it.. so, then I mentioned about Kirkland... one of them thinks about it.. Well, it's better than Science Diet, right?

Oh by the way, Nova just turned 1...

Mom to

Stella (5 years old girl)
Maite (2 years old little girl)
Nova (3 year old Beagle mix)
Malibu (4 years old Boxer, docked tail and natural ears)
Old September 20th, 2007, 01:45 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by matangers
I'll buy Candiae occassionally. But I think Kirkland is way better than Iams, Pedigree, and Science Diet. Correct?
For people with $$$$ issues, Kirkland is the best choice.
Old September 20th, 2007, 01:49 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by matangers
Oh by the way, Nova just turned 1...

Just turned one ....where's the pics? Happy Birthday to Nova ....
Attached Images

Old June 10th, 2009, 10:12 AM

Re:Kirkland

Hi there, I am new to this panel and was reading through this whole Kirkland fiasco.
I have a 1 yr old yellow lab named Bentley. We adopted him at 8 weeks old and for the first 6 months of his life we must have had him on at least 7 or 8 different foods. The breeder had him on Puppy Chow....I know it's not a good food (kind of like eating Mc Donalds all the time) We wanted to put him on a really good food so we asked around. Everyone was telling us that "Blue Buffalo" was the best. Well we ever so slowly started to mix the foods until he was only on the Blue Buffalo. WHAT A DISASTER! The poor thing had the runs so bad that he was bleeding. Not knowing what to do we put him right back on the puppy chow, and everything cleared right up. We knew we wanted to get him off the puppy chow but we were also scared that the poor thing was going to go through the "runs" again. After 5 or 6 other "high quality" brands that had the same reaction, we were told to try him on Kirkland by our vet. We were hesitant about it just due to the price. Our vet said kirkland is better than some of the brands that he had in the office....not to mention any (science diet) names. We put Bentley on Kirkland and he has been wonderful ever since. I agree that it might not be the "BEST" dog food out there, but when the better quality foods are too rich for your dog and posing health risks, we feel that Kirkland is the way to go.
Old June 11th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

This thread is pretty old, and IMO Blue Buffalo is a mediocre food at a premium food price. Kirkland is a better choice for the $$$. I would imagine it wasn't a case of the premium food being too rich, it could have been that you were overfeeding it. They need much less of a good quality food than they need of a low quality food because they are actually absorbing the nutrients in the premium food instead of just passing it through the system and out the other end. It could've also been an intolerance to an ingredient in the better foods. Premium food is definitely worth the price, you just have to find the one that is right for your dog.
Old June 19th, 2009, 11:26 AM

Thanks for your reply..I know it's an old thread but I wanted to have my say (typical woman) LOL
Anyway, whatever the reason was Bentley is doing 100% better on the Kirkland food. I can see that he is a healthy boy now and that makes me happy.
Old June 19th, 2009, 05:10 PM
I'm a softy

this is interesting, had not seen this thread before...

I feed ( fed) my dogs orijen for a long time, but I am in a very small city in nowhere land.. and it is only available in one store, that now sells bunnies and hamsters and ferrets ect.. so I am no longer going there.. So.. we have 3 other pet stores, one ( vinnies) sells dogs so I have never been in there don't know what they have, one sells mid range food, it is called pet lovers, near my house so I go there for toys and chewies all the time, pro plan and stuff like that.. then the other has some better food now, no orijen or innova, but they do have wellness but my dogs don't do well on it..

ANyway I found a food called BG-before grain, and I love it, my dogs are going crazy it was not expensive $24 for 7lbs, compared to $43 wellness, $45 orijen, $57 innova,v( those are the only foods I have ever fed) here are the ingredients off my bag,

chicken deboned, chicken meal,potato, turkey meal, canola oil, sweet potato,yeast culture, dried chicken liver, crude protien 32%, crude fat 15%, crude fiber 3%,moisture 11%

I am happy with it, I like that there are no grains,there is salmon oil and for carbs a decent varitey of good veggies, there is also blueberris and acai berries ect further down on the list, so far I am happy and I have a lab with allergies.. I also grab a few cans of dog food, they have 100% tripe, ect, there is nothing in the can but tripe and water so it is good to throw on top of some food for them. If anyone else is looking for a pretty good food at a great price, try it! my dogs are going NUTS for it and my lab is usually not so interested in kibble, I am even using it as treats!!
Old June 19th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I'm a softy

oye!! maybe I should look at the dates, more than just the last one.. oh my goodness.. haha!! ... the lights are on but no one is home....
Old June 20th, 2009, 10:30 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
vivalv66 , I was feeding my dogs Kirkland lamb and rice. They loved it. After a couple of months they did start to have diary. So I switch them to another brand. I don't know if Kirkland changed their recipe of if it was a bad batch, but since I switched , no poop problem.
that was in 2007 .... in 2008 (I think) I went back to buying Kirkland but the chicken formula and I'm very happy with the results. Also , with the gas prices last year , they had raise the prices of everything , and the bag of 40 lbs slowly got to + $9.00 which I thought was a big raise but , their have lower their prices lately.

oh and they now have boxes of Kirkland cookies for dogs. They also have Milk bones cookies , I was comparing the ingredients and again , Kirland wins so of course , I bought the jumbo box , only one thing , the cookies are very big and thick so not ideal for smaller dogs.
Old June 20th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Senior Contributor

I've recently switched to the Kirkland Chicken forumula as well and am happy with it. I had no problems with my previous brand but it was getting too costly to feed to this many dogs. I'd heard so many great things about the Kirkland food that I decided to give it a try and have been very pleased with the results and the savings. I was paying $52.99/bag (17kg) for a large breed food that was 26% protein/12%fat, and when working the dogs $59.99/bag for high energy 30% protein/20%fat. The Kirkland is 26/16 and only costs $29.99/bag for a larger bag (18kg). I can almost buy 2 for the price of one and the dogs are doing really well on it.

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com
Old February 8th, 2010, 08:40 PM

Red face Kirkland Puppy Food

Hey All I just purchased an eight week old Blue Fawn Pit; I did alot of research while waiting for his pending arrival. I compared and researched differnet brands of puppy foods and thought Kirkland would be best for him; Nutrition wise as well as price this would be the best for Diego and my budget. Well, I put Diego on Kirkland and he did well; his stool was firm for the first day or two. After the 2nd day I mix in Pro Plan wet puppy food to make it just a little easier for him to eat. Well, his stool was watery, I stopped mixing and went back to only dry. Now Diego has firm stool and sometimes runny stool. I am wondering if its the Kirkland food or maybe he has a very sensitive little tummy. Has anyone else experience this with their puppy?
Attached Images

Old February 9th, 2010, 09:51 PM

Kirkland Dog Food

I bought Kirkland twice. It caused horrible diarrhea, loss of hair, and felt bad. I switched to Hill's and then Nutro and he's fine now. Another dog was just fine on it.
Old February 9th, 2010, 09:56 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmason921 View Post
Now Diego has firm stool and sometimes runny stool. I am wondering if its the Kirkland food or maybe he has a very sensitive little tummy. Has anyone else experience this with their puppy?
oh dear .... what a cute puppy !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsl View Post
I bought Kirkland twice. It caused horrible diarrhea, loss of hair, and felt bad. I switched to Hill's and then Nutro and he's fine now. Another dog was just fine on it.
I don't know about the ingredients in the puppy food ... if there's lamb , there could be runny stools. Or if you switch your dogs on the new food too fast. You have to do it gradually , slowly , over about 2-3 weeks.

My dogs did have runny stools on the lamb formula but never had any problem with the chicken and rice formula.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 08:19 AM

There are so many choices out there these days.

Could I have some opinions on the two listed below?

The ingredients are listed further down in the description on each.

I have a 56lb Golden Retreiver, which I thought mixing in some fish would be good for her coat. But also offer the chicken for variety. I am in the process of trying to find Wellness locally.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...lickid=prod_cs

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...50073#prodTab1

Thanks for your help.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 10:48 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I swear by this site; http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog-food-index-a.html

Blue buffalo scores a 4 out of 6 stars. Kirkland a 3, which is the best score for the price.

I still love Orijen, but if times get bad, and I couldn't afford it I would consider Kirkland.

You also have to keep in mind how much you need to feed, often with lower quality feed you have to feed twice as much, so are you really saving money

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old March 3rd, 2010, 02:07 PM

Thanks HappyCats - great link!
Old March 3rd, 2010, 02:34 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deauce View Post
Thanks HappyCats - great link!
No problem, I actually for it from here

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old March 10th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Blue Buffalo is a very grainy food IMO. In the fish formula, the first ingredient is whitefish - which is in a wet form, so it will drop down the list once it's processed. That makes the first and second ingredients grains. The chicken formula looks much better with a wet meat and then a meal as the first and second ingredients. But tomato pumace as the 6th (in the chicken) & 7th ingredient (in the fish)? While it is a source of lycopene, it's also a stool hardner. Having it that far up the list could certainly mask symptoms of digestive problems.

While sites that rate dog foods can certainly give you a place to start, they should never take the place of doing your own research which includes learning to read the labels. The ingredients are important, the sources of the ingredients are important - and where the food is made is important. There are lots of decent foods that are made by companies with a lengthy history of recalls for various contaminants (alfatoxin, salmonella, etc). IMO it's not worth the risk of feeding a food made by a company with obvious problems in their quality control - no matter what the price of the food.
Old March 24th, 2010, 05:27 PM

Well, I am certain that they changed the Food, at least the Chicken and Rice one. My dog has been eating it for more than a year no problems, I bought a new bag on the weekend and just happened to run out of the old when I opened the new.

Had a case of the runs today and he has eaten nothing else that would cause this.

I notice that the kibble looks smaller than before, I even found one old piece he hadn't eaten yet and it's noticeable.

Just a warning on this, mix the old in with the new if you buy it, I will probably find something else to buy now if they are going to do this without warning.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 12:40 PM

filler splitting

By-law the order of the ingredients is by weight so filler splitting is not what is happening here. It's essentially the same as buying generic tylenol. There is no difference in ingredients but some people will always want to buy name brand. Do your research and do not solely rely on blogs, especially when it seems some of these people work for competitors of costco so they want to plug other foods. Look at the ingredients, I used to feed my dogs and cats Nutro natural choice (about $50 a 35 pound bag) and now I feed them costco which actually have not corn which the Nutro did and the animals are doing great on it and it's only $25 a 40 pound bag, huge difference. Good luck and give your pets a pat on the head from me!